Central storage/multiple XBMC clients
Hi All,

I have a dream set-up that I'd like to do, and from what I've gathered reading this forum and other websites, I think XBMC would be able to do what I need.

Basically, I want a central media server with local storage where I would keep all my content, and I want to be able to access that content from UPnP/DLNA clients around my home. What would be the best way to achieve that functionality with XBMC?

As I understand it, Gotham will include a "Play As" feature that allows one XBMC device to be controlled from another. This sounds like a very cool feature, since it would basically let me have one remote control for the media server that would let me control what I see/hear on any other XBMC device in my home. Do I have that right? If so, that sounds exactly like what I need.

If not, what are some alternatives to achieve the kind of experience I described above? Central file server with NFS partitions and XBMC clients or something?
Yes and yes.

Alternatively, you can just use local network file sharing and either do individual XBMC libraries for each client, or use MySQL. However, UPnP is probably what you'll want, especially for the control part.
Isnt this what i asked for.. Iike a headless server with server and client side version xbmc..
Its not yet worked on...
Lots of changes are being made to make it possible. Maybe you should read the last blogpost a bit more in detail.

The settings refactor is a prerequirement to be able to make a headless server somewhere down the road.
Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Central storage/multiple XBMC clients0