• 5(current)
AMD Kabini Boards
So, here we are February 2014 and still only the ECS Kabini boards are available. No ASUS XS-A, no MSI or Sapphire or ASRock.

Sad
Just released:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=4906#sp
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=4937#sp
2 mATX.. fantastic Big Grin
This looks like a cool Kabini motherboard, despite the fan: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/E2KM1IDELUXE/

AMD E2-2000 (FWIW: this is a Zacate update and not Kabini)

Edit: and apparently from early 2013. Never mind Smile
Supposedly coming in April. Socketed Kabini "AM1" (f.k.a. FS1b) CPUs.

Jaguar cores
GCN GPUs
Single-channel 64-bit memory DDR3-1600 max

More APUs detailed here:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/20140...tform.html

Bug 
i just picked up the 5350 with the msi am1 motherboard. ubuntu 13.10 and linux mint 16 have display driver issues - software rendering mode. i've installed windows 7 pro trying to run xbmc and i get the "unable to create gui" error when i try to run it. kinda sad i can't play with my new toy. i hope updates happen soon. i will try openelec and xbmcbuntu but i won't expect much for now
(2014-04-13, 02:46)w1n78 Wrote: i've installed windows 7 pro trying to run xbmc and i get the "unable to create gui" error when i try to run it. kinda sad i can't play with my new toy.
According to the hardware spec, it should be able to handle XBMC using Windows 7. Have you update the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-14, 01:43)bluray Wrote: According to the hardware spec, it should be able to handle XBMC using Windows 7. Have you update the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect?

i tried the amd software. it's the same version that i got from MSI website. also gave me the same results, that the driver failed to be installed because the user has to be part of admin group. i've tried running the exe as admin and still same thing. device manager sees nothing wrong but it won't work. i have screenshots on my blog with my attempts http://abbyandwin.net/blog/2014/04/13/st...-platform/

it's weird i'm getting this issue. i've seen people post things that they've played BF4 with the 5350 cpu and the onboard 8400 gpu. but they were using asrock motherboard while i have an msi. not sure if that has something to do with it. i've opened a ticket with msi. since it's the weekend i probably won't here anything until hopefully tomorrow.
(2014-04-14, 06:02)w1n78 Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 01:43)bluray Wrote: i've installed windows 7 pro trying to run xbmc and i get the "unable to create gui" error when i try to run it. kinda sad i can't play with my new toy.
According to the hardware spec, it should be able to handle XBMC using Windows 7. Have you update the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect?

(2014-04-14, 06:02)w1n78 Wrote: i tried the amd software. it's the same version that i got from MSI website. also gave me the same results, that the driver failed to be installed because the user has to be part of admin group. i've tried running the exe as admin and still same thing.
I still think that you are having driver issue. It is usually related to DirectX/driver when you got this "unable to create gui" message....
bluray Wrote:I still think that you are having driver issue. It is usually related to DirectX/driver when you got this "unable to create gui" message....

ya i agree. i tried other linux distros and got the "kabini not supported" message. guess it's too new. although the laptop cpu versions have been out longer haven't they. i should've waited longer but i needed to replace my old, broken htpc and thought this platform would be a great replacement for my amd e350.
(2014-04-14, 17:04)w1n78 Wrote:
bluray Wrote:I still think that you are having driver issue. It is usually related to DirectX/driver when you got this "unable to create gui" message....

ya i agree. i tried other linux distros and got the "kabini not supported" message. guess it's too new. although the laptop cpu versions have been out longer haven't they. i should've waited longer but i needed to replace my old, broken htpc and thought this platform would be a great replacement for my amd e350.
Since there is nothing to loose, you can try the latest AMD beta driver from here- AMD Graphics Drivers and Software. You have to manually selected all the options from step 1-4 to get to beta driver....
I also have a Zotac aq-01 and i have experienced the studdering during hd video playback.

2 things I did to fix it

- get the latest beta drivers for the AMD APU
- make sure that your audio setting are using the proper output devices ... XBMC is very picky about this is you are using SPDIF or HDMI passthrough

hope that this can help others
bluray Wrote:Since there is nothing to loose, you can try the latest AMD beta driver from here- AMD Graphics Drivers and Software. You have to manually selected all the options from step 1-4 to get to beta driver....

still the same issue. i'm gonna reinstall windows and see if that helps. otherwise, i'm gonna hope for a rma from newegg without a restocking fee. i really am curious about the am1 platform but i don't have the time to waste as i have no htpc at the moment.
So weird. That 8400 IGP isn't that much different from the 8330 in my Zotac AQ01 and it works fine with the latest AMD driver. Plays everything I throw at it.
Maybe there's a hardware issue?
okay, latest update. i reinstalled windows. the first attempt, i update windows then installed the latest software from msi then amd and kept getting an error with the display drivers. this next round, i installed the msi/amd drivers first before installing windows updates. that seemed to have solved the driver issue. it may have been related to the .net package. i noticed the msi CD contained its own versions of .net. when i updated windows, the versions it installed may not been compatible with the drivers.

BUT... when i run xbmc, i still get the gui error. i will try xbmc 13 beta. if not, i'm going to try to get a RMA Sad

update: i tried the nightly build of gotham april 15, 2014 and "unable to create gui" error still. also just read the return policy on newegg for cpu, no refunds just replacement. so i may be sitting on this config for a while until it becomes more compatible. now i'm wishing that i should've went with a sandy/ivy celeron with itx board instead of the am1 platform. oh well, the am1 platform does have a very low power consumption - at about 15W. but i can't use it as intended, for now :'(
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Kabini Boards0