• 2(current)
XBMC settings won't save, why????
Realised something else today. The player worked fine with multiple off and on cycles today then this evening when it was turned on the settings yet again went back to default (databases stay in tact). Exited xbmc, used file manager to view the guisettings and advanced settings xml's and the guisettings seems to be the default one (or close to it) and more interestingly the advanced settings xml file no longer begins or ends with an advancedsettings tag, instead ot has reverted to just settings again.

So it seems as though the two settings files are either getting overwritten with default (or semi default) ones or they are getting reverted to previous (original) versions.

What would be doing this? And why? Would it be xbmc (surely yes?) or the media player? And howmthe heck are these files changing?

Is there any way to fix this? Surely someone has run into this rather major issue previously?
the only workaround that would probably work for you is to have a script file that runs n every boot, and copies xbmc's config files from a backup folder into the main xbmc userdata folder.

the you have another script file if you want, that would backup these config files whenever you've made skin/settings changes.

here's a post i made with more detail on these cripts as a workaround until the issue gets sorted properly: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1368717

also, i haven't read the whole thread but it may help to post a log on here from when the settings were lost and a log from when the settings were kept.
Hey thanks for you reply. So this is a known issue that others have experienced?

I unfortunately don't have log files before or after at the moment. I'm out of the country at the moment too.

I've had a quick look at the linked post and it sounds like it is what I'm needing. I will only ever need to run the save script once as once I have my settings how I want them I don't want them to ever change! Can the load/overwrite script be loaded and run on startup automatically and is there a notification to say when it has finished running? Can the script be modified so XBMC is loaded at the end of the script automatically too? That'd be awesome!

I'd need some instructions of where to place the scripts and how to run the save one after I've saved all my settings as I want them and also how to setup the auto running of the load script if that would be ok Smile

Seems such an odd bug that the settings (including advancesettings which is supposedly NEVER written to by xbmc) are overwritten and set to what seems like default - and surprising it hasn't been fixed!

Hope you can help me Smile

Thanks again mate,
Logan.
I will make a backup of my settings then i will make a plugin to autostart with xbmc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...g_services

this should fix the problem, i could also make a plugin to SAVE and a plugin to LOAD on startup.
Oh ok yes a plugin within XBMC to save settings to an external folder/file would be great.

Is the load plugin started when XBMC is started? Wouldn't XBMC load the wrong standard settings before this plugin had time to fire and overwrite the wrong settings with the right one though?

Would a script that autoruns on media player boot to copy and paste/overwrite XBMC settings file be better and then can that script also autoboot XBMC after this has happened (the media player is only used for XBMC)?

I'm back home in 4 days would be cool to try and get it sorted then Big Grin

Legends.
i dont have the box, just ordered it should be here in around 10 days, its coming from china so youll have to wait if you expect a fix from me.

My idea is the following, you change your settings however you want and when you REBOOT from within xbmc, with the power button thats on the left bottom side the script will detect that and make a copy of guisettings.xml and advancedsettings or whatever the files are and copy them to the folder where the plugin i make go.

So it does a regular copy to that folder thats of course a writeable folder.. then you have the proper settings SAVED whenever you do a PROPER REBOOT. After that this same plugin will autoboot at startup or login, that means your internal SD card should be loaded by now, because all the operating system has now booted to the point where xbmc is at startup or login so its loaded. If this doesnt work we can add a 5 second delay or 20 or whatever we need.

When the plugin loads i will make a copy to the PROPER path of the saved files, thus overwritting the newly created settings by xbmc. The settings should stick because i have a hard copy of your last settings all the time in my plugin folder, if you need to make changes you will have to make the changes and make a proper reboot and that should have you set.

i dont have the box, but this seems pretty obvious to me.
Yea mate that sounds perfect.

Although, one thing: If the plugin runs at startup (of XBMC) with or without a delay will XBMC not just load the stuffed up/default settings first as the app boots? And then when the plugin kicks in and overwrites (or attempts to overwrite) the settings file(s) wouldn't this crash XBMC as the file would have been/or being read?

Would the overwrite script not have to run with the boot up of the actual media player device not the XBMC app/software? So when XBMC is loaded it pulls the freshly overwritten settings files on load as the settings only seem to stuff up with random power cycles of the unit not the app/software. Running this script as the device boots (after a timer so SD card is fully loaded) and then auto booting XBMC would be sweeeeeet!
i dont have the device and i dont know what will happen, its all about testing, we wont know until we test it..

but we can tweak accordingly...
Ok. I have been reading up on scripts in Android I could make a start with a little help. I have copied the code to copy the backed up guisettings and advancedsettings files to the real XBMC locarion and overwrite whatever is in there. I believe the app Autostart can boot scripts at startup so will download that when home. Question is, could you tell me what to put in the script to autorun XBMC at completion? And is there a better way to run the script on device boot that could implement a delay to be sure sd card is fully loaded rather than using an app?

Cheers.
automateit can run apps on startup with a delay.
nzhardcore, i would prefer to have my device with me first since i dont want to write shit code thats untested.

Actually there doesnt need to be a delay, just wait for the SD to be available and the moment its available let xbmc boot.
Automateit doesn't work and isn't available for download..

adrianc1982 - ok that's fair enough I suppose even though I am not going to distribute it or publish it... so as long as it worked is all I would be worried about..

Anyhoo, could you tell me what code to use to get the script to only run after SD card is loaded (so the files are available to be overwritten) and by the time it has finished copying them XBMC can load straight away so what code is used to launch the app at the end of the script?

Thanks.
(2013-06-28, 04:27)nzhardcore Wrote: Automateit doesn't work and isn't available for download..

adrianc1982 - ok that's fair enough I suppose even though I am not going to distribute it or publish it... so as long as it worked is all I would be worried about..

Anyhoo, could you tell me what code to use to get the script to only run after SD card is loaded (so the files are available to be overwritten) and by the time it has finished copying them XBMC can load straight away so what code is used to launch the app at the end of the script?

Thanks.

automateit works fine for me (im running xbmc app on boot with a 20 second delay). i installed it from the playstore on my mygic atv1200 android bx. sorry it was of no use to you.
That's pretty weird because it doesn't come up in my Play Store at all... and I found the APK via Google, tried installing and would not install either. Anything I can do to find this or make it install? Don't understand why you can see it in Play Store and I can't..

And if anyone is able to advise the code (I'm assuming it's a simple few lines of code) to make this script run after SD is fully loaded, and also to auto load XBMC at the end of the script one the files have completed overwriting?

Oh and also what extension do scripts have to have for Android?

Thanks Smile
got my sample today nzhardcore, im a bit tired today and gf wants to go out to the movies, but i promise ill sit down tomorrow morning and write a few lines of code, i promise ill post the plugin just for you to install it via the addon manager. Im using a gbox midnight with statis 0.2b the linux version so im not loading the android operating system, but im going to try to fix this within xbmc.. should work on android os, or linux or whatever. Seeya tomorrow.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings won't save, why????0