Win Windows 8 and autostart, what a drama: no focus problem :(
Hi,

I have currently switched my HTPC to Windows 8, in order to try the new OS, and I am quite disappointed how it behaves, especially in combination with XBMC autostart, and a VC-1100 remote control.

My most annoying problem is that whenever I put XBMC in autostart, no matter if delayed or directly, XBMC starts, but it loses focus, i.e. it is not operationable, neither using the mouse, nor my remote control. You see a mouse cursor, but it does not interact with the XBMC GUI. This should definitely be viewed and fixed by a developer.

The only solution I found so far (using the non-Pro version of Win8) is using a tool called XBMC Launcher (http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...adID=14880) - this solves the focus problem upon startup, but the focus prolem reoccurs when you try to wake up from hibernate - then again, XBMC has no focus, and cannot be operated.

Is there any solution to this? Or am I the only Win8 user having this specific problem?
I'd guess that most Windows users simply do not use XBMC in autostart and thus are not greeted with this problem.

However - an easy solution would be to assign a key on your remote to some kind of script, that puts the focus back to XBMC. You'll always have these kind of problems using Windows, there are just too many things that can take away the focus (ballon tipps, update message, etc.).
I use a autohotkey script for this:
Code:
;Win-Alt-Enter is the shortcut for greenbutton on the MCE Remote for Win64bit
#!Enter::Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe ;Start the XBMC
Of course you can use every single key on the remote to do this (but be careful not to map a regular keyboard button or that button would run XBMC everytime you hit it on the keyboard). The advantage of this is, that you also have a quick way to launch XBMC.

Btw. this is not something any developer can fix, because this is simply an issue with Windows - and it always has been.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

FocusBitch (wiki) might work.

Or just close and restart XBMC with a scheduled task script: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...d517c28fc0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 and autostart, what a drama: no focus problem :(0