Haswell i5 4430 using its own gfx
Asus H87I-Plus
Stock CPU cooler

Option 2
Ivy bridge i3 3220
Asus P8Z77-M
Stock CPU cooler
Sapphire HD 6570 Ultimate Edition 1024MB GDDR3

Now both systems work out at the same price but I don't know which to go for as I want a quiet build.

Would the i5 be just as quiet as the i3 just playing full 1080p blurays.

Thanks for any help
it depends if you plan on doing anything besides using xbmc. for instance if you want to play modern games or something. if this is solely for xbmc i'd go with option 1. with the new haswell chips you'll get perfect 23.976 playback and dts-hd/truehd in linux/openelec/windows. if you go with option 2 you'll only get dts-hd/truehd in windows. personally i'm waiting for the i3 haswell chips to come out in the next month or so. both are likely to be equally quiet since they'll use the same cpu cooler.
Thanks don't play games. I would of thought the i3 haswell would not be that much cheaper, maybe

Is there a date for i3 and does it use the same gfx as the i5

Thanks
Hey there,

why do you say that we can get perfect 23.976 playback and dts-hd/truehd in linux/openelec/windows if we get a new haswell chips. Is it not possible to get this with an ivy bridge and intel hd 4000 ?
Intel claims that the new haswell chips offer near perfect 23.976....

ivys did not have perfect 23.976...
(2013-07-29, 17:30)aixki Wrote: Hey there,

why do you say that we can get perfect 23.976 playback and dts-hd/truehd in linux/openelec/windows if we get a new haswell chips. Is it not possible to get this with an ivy bridge and intel hd 4000 ?

correct. ivy bridge is stuck with a sub-par 23.976 implementation resulting in dropped frames.

(2013-07-29, 18:12)solamnic Wrote: Intel claims that the new haswell chips offer near perfect 23.976....

ivys did not have perfect 23.976...

according to the anandtech review it has indeed been fixed in the haswell chips.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intel...spective/4
OK so I'll definitely wait for Intel NUC based on Haswell ! Smile

Thanks
So say we all Smile

( haswell nuc + ir + msata + sata = drooling )
What's ir ? infrared remote ?
I use my ipad for the remote some exellent apps out there to control xbmc and the desktop
Tell me about the HD Audio problem with OS's besides Windows? I have been trouble getting HD audio to pass from my NUC but thought I had to look into the 4x4 HDMI swtich it is behind. Sounds like that may not be the case? I am running Ubuntu minimal.

Ernie
(2013-07-30, 15:25)aixki Wrote: What's ir ? infrared remote ?

Infrared yep :)

(2013-07-30, 18:13)meridius Wrote: I use my ipad for the remote some exellent apps out there to control xbmc and the desktop

I do own both xbmc commander and constellation for iPad.
But I am a grumpy 37 year old school fellow that needs a remote :)
(2013-07-30, 21:32)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-07-30, 15:25)aixki Wrote: What's ir ? infrared remote ?

Infrared yep Smile

Well, I preferred to order a hdmi cec to usb adaptateur from Pulse-Eight. That way, I don't need another remote, just my TV remote to control xbmc Smile
Unless ofc you have many devices to control and then you will have to rely on a decent Universal remote.... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New htpc build haswell or ivy bridge with gfx help0