Confused with HD audio
Hi,

I am confused with playing mkv's with hdaudio format, DTS-HD/MA in fact.
I have a Onkyo RT-H390 receiver, 5.1 DTS-HD and TrueHD capable.

If a configure XBMC 12.2 with 5.1 or 7.1 enabling hdaudio, and WASABI or Directsound-HDMI AMD High Definition Audio, each time I played mkv file with this audio format the video is super slow and no audio at all. If I disable hdaudio it plays well in DTS format.

Following the "Windows Settings for AudioEngine" guide I read this:
"IMPORTANT - For HD audio to work then Max Number of Channels must be reported as 8 if anything other than 8 is reported then HD audio will not work even if DTS-HD and TrueHD are listed in the Encoded Formats box."

Ok, i think this is the problem, because my configuration only shows 6 channels, instead of 8 (obviously, because my AVR is 5.1), but hdaudio formats can be played in a 6 channel configuration also.

If I understand...xbmc can't play hdaudio format in a 5.1 configuration nowdays or is a permanent restriction?

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand meBig Grin
You've misunderstood.

For HD audio to work then XBMC must see that the audio device can handle up to a maximum of 8 channels of audio, that does not mean all audio must have 8 channels just that the audio device must support that as a maximum, so 5.1 will work just fine.

If your device is only reporting 6 channels then you've probably got an EDID problem requiring an EDID override, this is a common issue for AMD GPU's.

To solve this you'll need to go to AVSForum for support, the 2 threads are:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091403/edid-override-thread

Tulli is the expert on these matters over there.
Ok, but I see that this problem is for 5xxx ati's, and I have a Zotac Zbox AD04 with Radeon 6320.
6xxxs also has the bitstreaming problem?

Thanks in advance.
Yes the problem is just the same on 6xxx cards, I had the same problem myself without using an EDID override.
Thank you!!

I only have to look forward the steps to fix it with my Onkyo HT-R390...TongueTongue
I only want to say thanks to jjd-uk, tungmeister and all the people that read this. I solve my problem with EDID and, finally, I can play HDAudio content with XBMC

Thanks!!!! XDDDD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused with HD audio0