• 4(current)
WMC as the backend - released
(2013-08-15, 18:36)krustyreturns Wrote: I didn't know that win 8 has a better netflix app. Thanks..

I am fairly confident there should be no issue with the core of the code working in win8, mostly because wmc is supposed to be the same as win7. The problem is that the installer I use for the server, which uses MS's one click deployment, doesn't work in win8. I love one click-deployment, it is dead simple. I have a little bit of experience with the older way of doing installers and I found it to be a big headache.

I tried debugging this with a tester remotely but it was just going to slow so it was abandoned. I need to get a win8 machine with wmc up for me to figure it out, and I don't have that yet. But if netflix is better, I've got more incentive now. I will get on this.

I'm glad I helped...LOL.
In comparison to the one in Media Center from Windows 7, it is really THAT good (IMHO). I use a gyration remote though, as some selections require a mouse, or a touchscreen (so if you wanted everything to be done by key presses or arrow keys, you may be a bit unhappy).
Please let me know if I can be more help, I am no programmer though.
I could certainly find out if any data has been relocated to different files, locations, etc...
I do know that media center between 7 and 8 has changed a bit though, as they apparently pulled a lot of the core of MC out from inside the operating system to more of an app based association. Using something like MyChannelLogos with Windows 8 for example no longer allows for modifying certain things like the guide (not the logo's). I believe the access to things like that in Windows 8 is more closed off, or uneditable in whatever ways.
(2013-08-15, 19:06)indy5 Wrote: I have a question regarding encrypted and copy-once channels. Do these work using this solution? I am on TWC and all is marked copy-once and some of my channels work, but not many so far.
No, unfortunately it's limited to copy-freely channels, the same as the other backend options.
(2013-08-14, 23:00)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 10:08)asm495 Wrote: I tried about 3 times to play a programme that was currently recording and each time a crash box popped up referencing your development environment I presume (victor).

Yes, only MPEG4 has the issues. Standard Def channels play without a hitch.

I am really excited by this project - keep up the great work!

I fixed the bug that caused crashes when viewing actively recording files. I just uploaded a new build of the server (1042), when you have time, please see if it solves the problem for you. Thanks for catching this so quickly.

If you can, I will likely need a sample wtv file for the mpeg4 thing, maybe a 5 minute long clip if possible. No rush.

--kr

The new version has fixed the crashing on playing a programme that is currently recording. Great work. Is there a reason there is no resume option please? It would be great to be able to resume where playing was left off (even if that was on another client).

With regards to the stuttering MPEG4 video this only seems to be the case with live TV. If watching a previously recorded programme or even a programme that is currently being recorded then there is no stuttering.
(2013-08-15, 19:35)bungee91 Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 18:36)krustyreturns Wrote: I didn't know that win 8 has a better netflix app. Thanks..

I am fairly confident there should be no issue with the core of the code working in win8, mostly because wmc is supposed to be the same as win7. The problem is that the installer I use for the server, which uses MS's one click deployment, doesn't work in win8. I love one click-deployment, it is dead simple. I have a little bit of experience with the older way of doing installers and I found it to be a big headache.

I tried debugging this with a tester remotely but it was just going to slow so it was abandoned. I need to get a win8 machine with wmc up for me to figure it out, and I don't have that yet. But if netflix is better, I've got more incentive now. I will get on this.

I'm glad I helped...LOL.
In comparison to the one in Media Center from Windows 7, it is really THAT good (IMHO). I use a gyration remote though, as some selections require a mouse, or a touchscreen (so if you wanted everything to be done by key presses or arrow keys, you may be a bit unhappy).
Please let me know if I can be more help, I am no programmer though.
I could certainly find out if any data has been relocated to different files, locations, etc...
I do know that media center between 7 and 8 has changed a bit though, as they apparently pulled a lot of the core of MC out from inside the operating system to more of an app based association. Using something like MyChannelLogos with Windows 8 for example no longer allows for modifying certain things like the guide (not the logo's). I believe the access to things like that in Windows 8 is more closed off, or uneditable in whatever ways.

Being more closed off could be a show stopper - and it may also explain why the installer is failing. I'll let you know what I find once I get it going.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-08-15, 20:01)asm495 Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 23:00)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 10:08)asm495 Wrote: I tried about 3 times to play a programme that was currently recording and each time a crash box popped up referencing your development environment I presume (victor).

Yes, only MPEG4 has the issues. Standard Def channels play without a hitch.

I am really excited by this project - keep up the great work!

I fixed the bug that caused crashes when viewing actively recording files. I just uploaded a new build of the server (1042), when you have time, please see if it solves the problem for you. Thanks for catching this so quickly.

If you can, I will likely need a sample wtv file for the mpeg4 thing, maybe a 5 minute long clip if possible. No rush.

--kr

The new version has fixed the crashing on playing a programme that is currently recording. Great work. Is there a reason there is no resume option please? It would be great to be able to resume where playing was left off (even if that was on another client).

With regards to the stuttering MPEG4 video this only seems to be the case with live TV. If watching a previously recorded programme or even a programme that is currently being recorded then there is no stuttering.

I have not implemented resume. You're the first tester to request it, besides my kids. I agree that it needs to be there. Its on the list.

So if mpeg4 is playing fine as an active recording that is a big result. There is not a real difference between a 'live-tv' stream and a recording file. In live-tv I am using low level calls to start a wtv file, in a recording the wtv file is started by the recording service. So the only reason why one would stutter but the other not stutter is the amount of data that has been written. As an experiment, start a live stream on a problem channel and just pause it for say 10s before viewing it, see if it stutters.

(2013-08-15, 19:44)sub3 Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 19:06)indy5 Wrote: I have a question regarding encrypted and copy-once channels. Do these work using this solution? I am on TWC and all is marked copy-once and some of my channels work, but not many so far.
No, unfortunately it's limited to copy-freely channels, the same as the other backend options.

What happens when you try to play a copy-once wtv file with xbmc?

(2013-08-15, 18:43)spidertnt Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 18:03)krustyreturns Wrote: Yeah I haven't put this editing of channel feature into xbmc, mostly because as a one time setup type thing its easier to do in wmc. I would like to put a more flexible channel editor in the server though. Its on my todo list.

I know this is not anything to do with WMC channels but it would be great add custom channel on the server....for example internet stream. This for me would complete the cut the cable solution in one nice package.

Yeah, good idea. I will see if I can when I write the editor. Some sample streams to test with would be useful if you can provide them.
(2013-08-15, 21:16)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 20:01)asm495 Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 23:00)krustyreturns Wrote: I fixed the bug that caused crashes when viewing actively recording files. I just uploaded a new build of the server (1042), when you have time, please see if it solves the problem for you. Thanks for catching this so quickly.

--kr

I have not implemented resume. You're the first tester to request it, besides my kids. I agree that it needs to be there. Its on the list.

So if mpeg4 is playing fine as an active recording that is a big result. There is not a real difference between a 'live-tv' stream and a recording file. In live-tv I am using low level calls to start a wtv file, in a recording the wtv file is started by the recording service. So the only reason why one would stutter but the other not stutter is the amount of data that has been written. As an experiment, start a live stream on a problem channel and just pause it for say 10s before viewing it, see if it stutters.

I have experimented a little bit. I think interlacing was causing issues - these streams were 1080i. When I turned on de-interlacing in XBMC it improved the experience considerably. It is not completely smooth now but it is far better - there is an occasional brief lag when there is moving on screen. So, not perfect but pretty good. I don't think I could use it as main TV viewing as although it is not too noticeable my wife would pick up on it!

I am sometimes getting an error when trying to switch channel:

Code:
Received client request: BENDER|OpenLiveStream|65045|0|1|BBC Two HD/2
OpenLiveStream> client: BENDER requesting live stream
StreamProc> live-tv started
SetChannel> isAlreadyTuned: False
SetChannel> Tuner: TBS 6981 BDA DVBS/S2 A Tuner/Demod #1
SetChannel> Digital: True
SetChannel> Encrypted: False
SetChannel> RecorderInfo found: True
SetChannel> Tuner: TBS 6981 BDA DVBS/S2 B Tuner/Demod #1
SetChannel> Recorder Content Protection: PROT_COPY_FREE
SetChannel> Recorder acquired: True
StreamProc> wtv file size: 1,310,720 in 3.32 sec
StreamProc> stream output file: LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_2_2013_08_15_20_53_41.ts
Remux> Scanning for stream info
System.Exception: Exceeded bit reading capacity: 40
   at Remuxer.common.BitStream.getBits(Int32 bits)
   at Remuxer.common.BitStream.getExpGolombCode()
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.parseScalingList(BitStream bitStream, Int32 scalingListSize)
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.parseSequenceParameters(BitStream bitStream, VideoStreamDescriptor sd)
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.analyze(MuxBuffer packetSource, Int32 stream, Int32 offset)
   at Remuxer.common.StreamIdentifier.getStreamDescriptor(Int32 stream, PacketPart packetPart, Int32 offset)
   at Remuxer.common.StreamIdentifier.identifyStream(Int32 stream, PacketPart packetPart)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.WtvStreamIdentifier.addPacket(Packet packet)
   at Remuxer.muxer.MuxManager.addPacket(Packet packet)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.parse(JobStreamI stream, MuxManager muxManager)
   at Remuxer.muxer.MuxManager.mux(JobStreamI stream)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.getStreamDescriptorMap(JobStreamI stream, MuxManager muxManager)
   at Remuxer.muxer.MuxManager.getStreamDescriptorMap(JobStreamI stream)
   at Remuxer.Remux..ctor(String inFileStr, String outFileStr): Remux> ctor error
StreamProc> started remux, live stream 'ts' file: LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_2_2013_08_15_20_53_41.ts
Remux> start error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Remuxer.Remux.Start()
Remux> ended, run time: 0.00
StreamProc> process start error: StreamProc> recording stream exited early(1) calling Close()
RecordToWTV::Close> RecorderUse is Passive: False
StreamProc::Close> stream closed successfully
StreamProc::Close> wtv file size: 1,835,008
StreamProc::Close> file deleted: J:\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_2_2013_08_15_20_53_41.wtv
StreamProc::Close> closed in 0.10 sec
OpenLiveStream> error: StreamProc> recording stream exited early(1)
Finished request OpenLiveStream in 3.46s

Can I suggest setting up a donation site? I'd be happy to donate towards this project!
(2013-08-15, 15:26)ejezuba Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 14:57)hoopsdavis Wrote: Does anyone know how to add missing channels. I tried using "Guide Tool" but the "Add Channel" option remains grayed out

Add missing channels from within MCE - Tasks>Settings>TV>Guide

See video:

Thanks, but the channels aren't clear qam. I know how to add these but the channels I'm trying to add are from the digital provider "Cox"
I tried adding them but after a while they seem to be removed.

(2013-08-15, 18:22)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 01:16)ejezuba Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 17:37)hoopsdavis Wrote: Thanks Eje

What's the time on channel changing for you, 3 - 5 seconds?

About 5-6 seconds

I think you are being generous here. It takes longer than that for me and I wrote the dang thing.

As a recap for this new thread, here is where this live-tv stuff is:

There are two approaches that I have tried for live tv. Remuxing to ts, which is what is implemented now. I think that this could be sped up, but I need to work on it and I've got some other things ahead of it in the queue right now. I will definitely get back to this though, mostly because I think its a fun puzzle to work on (not because I ever watch live tv - lol).

There is also direct streaming of the active wtv file which Jeff did a lot of work on and had a brilliant breakthrough with, but his new job seems to have derailed him before he could fix some big issues that were still on his plate (the biggest of which is a total crash of xbmc after about 20 minutes of video). Hopefully Jeff is not gone permanently, but I haven't heard from him so who knows. He had modified the ffmpeg code to handle 'live' wtv files. If anybody wants to continue his work is out there, I'm sure I could get the code from Jeff. I would love to see this happen, as I'm sure many others would also.

So again, any developers out there who want a fun project to work on, I could use the help.

--kr

(2013-08-15, 03:02)hoopsdavis Wrote: Should TVserver in xbmc be disabled?

Sorry, I am not sure what your are referring to.

No worries Krusty I figured it out, it was the the tvserver addon from mediaportal. And yes I had to disable this. Also my channel change time was no less than 8 - 10 seconds. But I like the look and will continue testing. thanks for creating and sharing this. Great job

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2013-08-15, 22:01)asm495 Wrote:
Code:
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.parseScalingList(BitStream bitStream, Int32 scalingListSize)
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.parseSequenceParameters(BitStream bitStream, VideoStreamDescriptor sd)
   at Remuxer.common.AvcVideoAnalyzer.analyze(MuxBuffer packetSource, Int32 stream, Int32 offset)
   at Remuxer.common.StreamIdentifier.getStreamDescriptor(Int32 stream, PacketPart packetPart, Int32 offset)
   at Remuxer.common.StreamIdentifier.identifyStream(Int32 stream, PacketPart packetPart)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.WtvStreamIdentifier.addPacket(Packet packet)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.parse(JobStreamI stream, MuxManager muxManager)
   at Remuxer.demux.microsoft.WtvToPesDemuxer.getStreamDescriptorMap(JobStreamI stream, MuxManager muxManager)
StreamProc> started remux, live stream 'ts' file: LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_2_2013_08_15_20_53_41.ts
Remux> start error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Remuxer.Remux.Start()
StreamProc> process start error: StreamProc> recording stream exited early(1) calling Close()
StreamProc::Close> file deleted: J:\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_2_2013_08_15_20_53_41.wtv

Interesting. I possibly have an idea what the problem is, but to know for sure I would love to get the wtv file that is causing this. If you would, the way to capture this is to go to the 'debug' tab in serverwmc and un-check 'Delete temporary stream files'. This will cause the video files created in the folder tempxbmc to not be deleted when the stream finishes. So when you get this bug again give me the newest wtv file in this folder, it should be the one that triggered this error - it also should not be very large. Please give me the server log too (or at least the portion you captured above).

Running in this debug mode a lot will start to eat disk space since these temp files won't be deleted, so its best to turn if off after you get a capture. Restarting serverwmc will auto-clean this folder out too.

(2013-08-16, 00:08)hoopsdavis Wrote: No worries Krusty I figured it out, it was the the tvserver addon from mediaportal. And yes I had to disable this. Also my channel change time was no less than 8 - 10 seconds. But I like the look and will continue testing. thanks for creating and sharing this. Great job

Thanks, I appreciate that.
I noticed my recordings failed to record in the .ts format, even with the wmcserver option set to .ts.

Any idea how I can make the files work?

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2013-08-16, 01:12)krustyreturns Wrote:
Code:
   at Remuxer.Remux.Start()

Interesting. I possibly have an idea what the problem is, but to know for sure I would love to get the wtv file that is causing this. If you would, the way to capture this is to go to the 'debug' tab in serverwmc and un-check 'Delete temporary stream files'. This will cause the video files created in the folder tempxbmc to not be deleted when the stream finishes. So when you get this bug again give me the newest wtv file in this folder, it should be the one that triggered this error - it also should not be very large. Please give me the server log too (or at least the portion you captured above).

Running in this debug mode a lot will start to eat disk space since these temp files won't be deleted, so its best to turn if off after you get a capture. Restarting serverwmc will auto-clean this folder out too.

I just captured a bit of video. Interestingly it seems to create both a TS and WTV file. Both these files you can access here: http://sdrv.ms/14is950

Both the files play fine on their own and without the stuttering that was present when live streaming. However, maybe just the fact two streams are created is the problem?
I used this for quite a lot last night. It worked perfectly. Watched the tennis for about 2 hours with no hitches. I ran into one small issue, it pulled the correct channel names from WMC (as you can see in the top right as the PVR DB is updating), but for some reason, it puts it in its own order in the PVR channel list no matter what setting I use (use backend #s, etc etc).

Unfortunately, and this is no fault of the app, still runs into the same issue where its just a pain in the ass to use XBMC PVR. You need to actually select a channel before you can change it (ie when you first get into Live TV, you need to select a channel before you can change it). I want to be able to just type in a channel number on the main Live TV page and it just switches to it.

Do the record functions work? I haven't tried them.
(2013-08-16, 14:15)gman3042 Wrote: ...

Unfortunately, and this is no fault of the app, still runs into the same issue where its just a pain in the ass to use XBMC PVR. You need to actually select a channel before you can change it (ie when you first get into Live TV, you need to select a channel before you can change it). I want to be able to just type in a channel number on the main Live TV page and it just switches to it.

What I do, to work around this to set Continue last channel on startup (Shows the last seen channel if switching to live tv (Defaults: no)) in the Playback settings of Live TV. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...V#Playback

It still is not the best solution, but at least after a few seconds you can just enter the channel number.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
(2013-08-16, 14:15)gman3042 Wrote: I used this for quite a lot last night. It worked perfectly. Watched the tennis for about 2 hours with no hitches. I ran into one small issue, it pulled the correct channel names from WMC (as you can see in the top right as the PVR DB is updating), but for some reason, it puts it in its own order in the PVR channel list no matter what setting I use (use backend #s, etc etc).

Do the record functions work? I haven't tried them.

It should order the channels the same as in wmc. Just to clarify, in wmc you can order the channels by callsign(name) or by number. My software can't detect which order wmc is using, so instead there is a channel order setting in the 'channels' tab of the server, you can use this to set it to the same ordering as wmc. Then in xbmc you should set it to use the backend channel order, which I think you have done. I think you also have to reset the pvr database to get it to reset the order.

If this doesn't work let me know.

And yes, the record functions work, but you shouldn't take my word for it Smile.
(2013-08-16, 01:56)hoopsdavis Wrote: I noticed my recordings failed to record in the .ts format, even with the wmcserver option set to .ts.

Any idea how I can make the files work?

Sorry it doesn't record in ts format. wmc only records in wtv format. To do live tv, I remux wtv to ts for the live tv stream. That's because xbmc/ffmpeg can't handle actively recording wtv streams. The 'wtv' mode is just experimental right now, we need Jeff's ffmpeg code finished before it will work. I need to deactivate this setting in the released version of the server until then. Thanks for the reminder.
(2013-08-16, 06:05)asm495 Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 01:12)krustyreturns Wrote:

I just captured a bit of video. Interestingly it seems to create both a TS and WTV file. Both these files you can access here: http://sdrv.ms/14is950

Both the files play fine on their own and without the stuttering that was present when live streaming. However, maybe just the fact two streams are created is the problem?

I can see the stuttering, so thanks for the files. I will try to figure out what is going on.

If possible, it would be great if you can also capture a wtv and log when you see the crash that sometimes occurs when you switch channels.

Thanks.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WMC as the backend - released9