Newb - Folder and AC3filter questions
Hello. Newb here, love the idea of XBMC and I installed it last night. I have a couple questions. I did not see an open forum per se other than this General area so I hope this is where something like this goes.
I have been a long time Windows Media Center user. I have been using it since xp and now I am on Win7Prof64bit. Since June my MC program will no longer play xvid avi containers that I encode. I am pretty sure it is a codec issue with how goofy the new MC is. I have no problems playing any video file on my computer with any other program but these will no longer play in MC. I can see everything but once a video starts, MC just crashes and wants to restart. I have exhausted everything about fixes but I was at a complete loss and tired of trying to get it to work. I love these newer systems like XBMC and the Media Browser plugin for MCE with metadata so I want to use XBMC instead.
Setup as follows so if anyone had any questions.
AMD A8
HD6500
8gig memory
5.1 analog surround sound
Gyration MC remote
My video collection is categorized by genre folders that I have created. IE: Action/Comedy/Drama etc
I have been trying to find a way to use XBMC in a way like I use MCE. Mostly due to my wife having issues with changes. Undecided I would like a front end that I see those Genre folder without drilling down through Video's / Files / List. I do not really want to use the Genre folders under the Video setting sub menu either. I tried putting the folder list to a favorite's menu but it is still a set process that is too confusing for my wife. She is not a nerd like me when dealing with these kind of programs.
In MCE, when I add the Action folder and I go to "Videos" I see Action etc and when I go into that folder, you see all my Action movies. With XBMC with default install, I have to drill down a couple times to find this kind of list, otherwise it just throws all my movies files from all my folders into an alphabetical list and that will not do for the wife.
Is there an addon I have to go with to get this or is there a settings I am just confused about?

Second question deals with AC3filter. I have been using that program for years and I love how I can control those individual speaker settings. We like to have the Center channel raised higher than the others so we can hear the actors speaking without being drowned out by other speakers in some movies. I found the setting in the General settings tab to make Audio produce out at 5.1 but when I start any video files, I notice that AC3filter is not running in the task bar which tells me it is by-passing this. Almost all my SD videos are encoded with AC3 audio so the AC3Filter runs in the background. My HD movies I do not have much of a problem with since the HD audio is a better quality in most cases.
Can AC3Filter run with XBMC without any specific addons or does XBMC have this kind of support tied in? By support I mean changing any gains to specific channels?
~ Ryzen 5 5600G APU | 16gig Corsair | Fractal Node 500 | Manjaro Linux | Gyration MC remote | 43" Visio
1. You can use a skin like aeon nox, create smart playlist based on genre and add these playlists to main home menu.

2. XBMC uses its own codecs.
Ok, I guess this is where some of my newb will show. So changing a skin, not only changes how XBMC looks but how things can be categorized? Thanks for suggesting this. I will look into giving it a try when I get home tonight.

So since XBMC uses its own codecs I can not alter any of my audio channels or get a passthru for AC3Filter? I am still digging around on the site for this kind of information. Thank you for pointing this out for me though.
~ Ryzen 5 5600G APU | 16gig Corsair | Fractal Node 500 | Manjaro Linux | Gyration MC remote | 43" Visio

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newb - Folder and AC3filter questions0