Linux Backend with CI module support? / common interface
Hey there everyone, I tried to search for this, but wasn't very lucky finding anything helpful.

Currently I'm running xbmc on Ubuntu with a TVheadend as backend for DVB-T distribution on the network.

Now, we'd like to switch to DVB-S and as we live in Austria, we need CI Module to plugin a CAM with the Smartcard.

Having heard a lot of good things about the digital devices cards, I was leaning towards them, as they also offer a good solution for four tuners as well as a CI Module.

But now I can't really verify whether or not the backends support the CI Module or not. For TVheadend, I found a couple of people who say that it doesn't support it, but I couldn't find any information on VDR and MythTV.

I'm very grateful for any hint or tip on how I can run a CI Module under Ubuntu.

Thank you very much in advance.

Peter
I've no idea how well it works, but is something like the MOI box (http://www.tbsdtv.com/launch/moi-dvb-s2-...g-box.html) worth considering? That has tvh built-in, I believe, as well as the CI interface.

Random opinion only, I know nothing of these things since I have no encrypted channels!
Check out this thread: http://www.vdr-portal.de/board16-video-d...h-ci-slot/

They claim that TBS6928 works with VDR.
Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and also talked to Digital Devices them self.

Unfortunately the CI modul can only decrypt one channel at the time under Linux. (Under Windows multi channel decryption works well)

the only way to get multi channel decrypt under Linux is card sharing, which is unfortunately illegal in Austria (and Germany I think).
Is cardsharing inside your own house using your subscribtion card that you are paying for illegal?
If you shared your card with the world I agree, that is illegal but otherwise no.
It's also illegal to talk about it on this forum, but if you ask me it's the way to go.
I don't think the CI module included with the digital devices card will work. Something like a smargo however will work, even Multi-channel decrypt.
I think as long as you use your own subscription card and don't share it with other devices (local card"server" and client=1 device") it's legal. I could be very wrong in this though.
Unless you absolutely need a CI module (meaning there is no way to just read the subscription card with a plain reader like the Smargo), don't get one.

From my fairly limited research it seems that generally DVB software for Windows have good CI support, while most Linux software lacks it (most likely due to the fact that while the tuner is supported in Linux, no one has bothered writing a driver for the CI).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backend with CI module support? / common interface0