• 8(current)
Release TvTunes Addon - Retrieve & Play Soundtracks Whilst Browsing Your Library
Hi All,

I have published a new version:

Code:
v3.1.2
- Make sure TvTunes stops before screensaver starts
- Improve volume correction when exiting XBMC quickly
- Updated some of the add-on descriptions

The screensaver issue has been a real pain! - I have worked arround a few hurdles - but really need something in Gortham before it can behave as I'd like. Current behaviour is that TvTunes will stop just before the screensaver is due to kick in - however, the action of the screensaver kicking in results in the idle timer being reset - so you have to wait for the "Screensaver Timeout" period all over again!

Please let me know how you get on with it, available in zip form from:

http://robwebset.googlecode.com/svn/rele...-3.1.2.zip
(2013-10-02, 22:47)rob_webset Wrote: Hi All,

Code:
v3.1.2

The screensaver issue has been a real pain! - I have worked arround a few hurdles - but really need something in Gortham before it can behave as I'd like. Current behaviour is that TvTunes will stop just before the screensaver is due to kick in - however, the action of the screensaver kicking in results in the idle timer being reset - so you have to wait for the "Screensaver Timeout" period all over again!

I warned you.
This is NOT allowed what you did on reading guisettings.xml
Remove it or you will not get this on repo.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-10-02, 02:07)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 08:41)rob_webset Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 04:06)wgstarks Wrote: I installed the latest zip and edited the DialogVideoInfo.xml file but I'm not getting the "Fetch" button in my skin. My DialogVideoInfo.xml file is here- http://www.texthosting.com/view/37839/

Looks like it's been truncated

Finally got a chance to re-post the DialogVideoInfo.xml file- http://pastebin.com/4dSC3p3S
I think it's all there this time.

I'm completely stumped on this. I included a debug log as well. Maybe it shows something. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=65217
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I know you've probably answered this question an umpteenth number of times, but how can I make it so that the music plays in the TV/film list rather than just when I select them? Also, why doesn't this work for films? The website has theme music for many films too.
(2013-10-03, 03:01)Outlaw Mantis Wrote: I know you've probably answered this question an umpteenth number of times, but how can I make it so that the music plays in the TV/film list rather than just when I select them?
That feature is under construction. See post 86 if you want to give it a try.

Quote:Also, why doesn't this work for films? The website has theme music for many films too.

It does with the latest beta versions post 106.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-10-03, 03:15)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-03, 03:01)Outlaw Mantis Wrote: I know you've probably answered this question an umpteenth number of times, but how can I make it so that the music plays in the TV/film list rather than just when I select them?
That feature is under construction. See post 86 if you want to give it a try.

Quote:Also, why doesn't this work for films? The website has theme music for many films too.

It does with the latest beta versions post 106.

Thank you. I'll try it all out now. Smile By the way, are the changes in post 86 already in 106? I'd like to update the latest beta with the p86 code, but I worry that replacing the code with it might not work.

(2013-10-02, 22:54)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-10-02, 22:47)rob_webset Wrote: Hi All,

Code:
v3.1.2

I warned you.

I know it's likely none of my business, but what is not allowed? Is there something in the script that affects anything else in XBMC or causes harm? If not, I'd be curious to know the problem. Please keep in mind, I have not used XBMC in nearly a decade but have returned thanks to OpenELEC.
(2013-10-02, 22:54)Martijn Wrote: I warned you.

Hi Martijn,

I know that you do a LOT of posts on this forum, which is generally a good and helpful thing, but I think your short answers can not really be seen as a detailed warning, I posted 2 question about trying to work with screensavers:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174621

In which you posted a link to "Monitor", that didn't really do what I wanted, but was very useful information all the same, and a single word "Nope"

The second post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174762

Where you refer to an ugly hack, but give no more details as to what this was and what should be avoided! So how do I know what you see as an "ugly hack" and then maybe an exceptable workaround (i.e. reading the settings file). This approach was detailed elsewhere in the forum with no negative comment:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150282

So this means I have a choice of:
1) Leave the bug in so the add-on had problems - and submit to the add-on repo
2) Leave it with LESS bugs and store it in my own repo.

I think you now have the answer to your own question!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156190

I don't want to sound too negative, as I am a keen user of XBMC and I only ended up doing things to TvTunes and DVDExtras as I wanted to contribute and make things better for everyone.

Nor do I want to turn this thread into a discussion as to what should and shouldn't be allowed in the repo - this thread should be for TvTunes only - that discussion whould really go to the thread detailed above - as that what exactly the question that was asked in that thread.

Rob
(2013-10-03, 04:06)Outlaw Mantis Wrote: I know it's likely none of my business, but what is not allowed? Is there something in the script that affects anything else in XBMC or causes harm? If not, I'd be curious to know the problem. Please keep in mind, I have not used XBMC in nearly a decade but have returned thanks to OpenELEC.

In frodo, the API to find out how long before the screensaver starts was removed (an accidental omission I believe). That means that I have to READ (not write) the guisettings.xml file directly to find it out - appears to be the only way.
Ok here's the clear answer.

You are not allowed to directly read from guisettings.xml
I think that refering to an ugly hack was pretty clear that this wouldn't be allowed.

Quote:So this means I have a choice of:

there was no bug in tvtunes before so why would you think there was one one.

@ronie

up to you now. he took this over from you with you having the expectancy to maintain this and not pull it out of official repo.
this is a dependency for almost every skin out there so if doesn't submit it to repo anymore this leaves it without maintainer imo. so it should be removed from every skin.
(2013-10-03, 02:09)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-02, 02:07)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 08:41)rob_webset Wrote: Looks like it's been truncated

Finally got a chance to re-post the DialogVideoInfo.xml file- http://pastebin.com/4dSC3p3S
I think it's all there this time.

I'm completely stumped on this. I included a debug log as well. Maybe it shows something. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=65217

I think the best thing is to get some assistance from some-one who knows about "skin.aeon.nox" - maybe see if there is some-one on that forum that can assist - however, I think there are people on this forum that use that skin as well.

(2013-10-03, 08:01)Martijn Wrote:
Quote:So this means I have a choice of:

there was no bug in tvtunes before so why would you think there was one one.

Hi Martijn,

Unfortunately the two TvTunes forum threads are littered with people complaining (well stating - complaining is too strong a word I think) that the audio keeps lowering or cutting out all together. So I have done LOTS of different tests to see where this sort of thing happens and it's many different causes, this is one of many changes I have made to fix different cases of this.

The screensaver one occured on my own live system as it happens - which is the only reason I saw it - but was able to reproduce it by dropping the screensaver time down to 1 minute.

Thanks, Rob

(2013-10-03, 08:01)Martijn Wrote: I think that refering to an ugly hack was pretty clear that this wouldn't be allowed.

Actually I never refered to it as an "ugly hack" - I just said I had a few hurdles to get over!
facts is we won't allow reading the guisetings.xml for several reasons one is that when you read it is locked and xbmc cannot acces the file.
for the rest see my edited post on the implications.we need to try and protect the user's systems.

i suggest you just request having access to the guisettings.xml thourgh json-rpc for Gotham but not updating tvtunes anymore in official repo is not acceptable. until then people will have to live with the "bug". besides all that perhaps the audio problem isn't even related to tvtunes but due to the fact that there where audio related bugs in Frodo. Have you tried using Gotham because a lot has been done/fixed.
Quote:
(2013-10-03, 08:01)Martijn Wrote: I think that refering to an ugly hack was pretty clear that this wouldn't be allowed.

Actually I never refered to it as an "ugly hack" - I just said I had a few hurdles to get over!
well i called it an ugly hack not you Smile
I would propose the folowing:

1) Leave the current version of TvTunes (and all its references) in the official repo.
2) Publish this (for now) on a seperate repo
3) If the api arrives in Gotham - then adopt it and publish the new one

Then users will continue with the existing official behaviour for TvTunes - if they wanted this version, then they need to make a conscious effort to switch repo site and install this one.

That way everyone gets what they want - then if Gotham has the api needed, then it will all merge in.

i.e. This version of TvTunes remains as a beta until Gotham is released.
+1 for Rob's proposal. I would also suggest, with the aim to make a bolder difference, so it'd become clear for the users this is a new development which brings many features not present in the original add-on, and will continue doing so. For instance it doesn't play TV tunes only anymore but movie tunes too and a whole re-work for it to happen. Thus, and in order to avoid any possible misunderstanding from the users and stay consistent to the add-on features and capabilities, it would be sensible to rename the new development for this add-on, keeping Ronie's original and last release unaffected on this of course.

I believe it is also important to give space to individuals developing and cooperating in what respects to the way contributions are made available to the community. What suits one might not suit others and vice versa, and as long as the main guidelines are respected, freedom to choose how/where should prevail always in the spirit of free opened source community developed software. Trying to control people's helpful actions or keep certain aspects of them within capricious boundaries are a bit of an inconsistent behaviour to my humble opinion and with all respect.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
(2013-10-03, 09:44)capfuturo Wrote: +1 for Rob's proposal. I would also suggest, with the aim to make a bolder difference, so it'd become clear for the users this is a new development which brings many features not present in the original add-on, and will continue doing so. Thus, and in order to avoid any possible misunderstanding from the users, it would be sensible to rename the new development for this add-on.

I believe it is also important to give space to individuals developing and cooperating in what respects to the way contributions are made available to the community. What suits one might not suit others and vice versa, and as long as the main guidelines are respected, freedom to choose how/where should prevail always in the spirit of free opened source community developed software. Trying to control people's helpful actions or keep certain aspects of them within capricious boundaries are a bit of an inconsistent behaviour to my humble opinion and with all respect.

i oppose to the renaming imo.
if you will update this in Gotham no one will get the update when they upgrade. let's hear ronie's opinion on it.

i would suggest having two versions/ one for official repo and one for your own repo including the screensaver hack until it's available in Gotham.
then when that's in you can adapt and add it to repo and anyone will auto receive the updated version.
by installing his repo you acknowledge that you understand that will receive the "beta" version for testing/using but please keep the addon id the same for consistency and ease of use for everyone.

example:
if you change ID people will get a new version but the old one will remain on your system lingering around. not a problem for people who know what they are doing and will manual remove it. it's about the hundred thousands of other users who have no idea and now see they will have two "tv tunes" which may interfere with each other
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TvTunes Addon - Retrieve & Play Soundtracks Whilst Browsing Your Library2