Openelec - no live TV for me
I installed tvheadend (service and client), and setup some stuff in the web interface (which all seemed to work- I have analog and digital channels listed there with checkmarks). I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR950, which seems to be detected by OpenElec. So if I unplug the USB, TVHeadend warns me that it has lost the connection. In the (web) configuration page, it shows the modulation scheme for each channel (and there are a few different schemes), and 100% quality for each of the many channels listed.

But I don't have any channels listed in "Live TV"- or anywhere in OpenElec. That goes for TV or radio channels. Can someone tell me how to get the channels I see listed in the webpage from my Pi, listed in the OpenElec GUI so I can try to watch? (I am really just playing, but am pit-bullish when it comes to letting the computer win).
Have you configured the plugin in xbmc?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
More likely I mis-configured it. I have certainly tried (yes, I've gone in there on both the service and the frontend), but know what I am doing even less then the results would indicate!

Please tell me how to get to the configuration you're referring-to. Maybe I just didn't see it (I've configured two things). I just went into Openelec's Settings | Services, but don't see anything related to TVHeadend there. I did try to configure the backend through Add On's | Services | tvheadend

I guess part of the confusion is the XMLTV configuration- I have it pointing to a file in /storage/.xbmc/uesrdata/add...

I might not have that pointing at the right file (and it is set to FILE), or maybe I should be using another method to get the TV channels to show up. I simply have no notion of what should do what... I've done lots of Googling and reading though. There some some good step by step tutorials, but they often list a step and assume the reader knows where to find the item they are accessing. I often don't (though I've spent a good deal of time fumbling around trying).
Any guide on how to configure tvheadend should get you up and running, then you'd just have to configure the XBMC client addon to use the correct credentials.

Here's a short step-by-step guide:

In the tvheadend web interface:

1. Enable your tuner.
2. Add a "network by location"
3. Wait for it to scan for services (muxes awaiting inital scan will go to zero)
4. Map services to channels

Optionally you can configure XMLTV, though most people don't need it so leave that for last.
(2013-09-29, 15:27)negge Wrote: Any guide on how to configure tvheadend should get you up and running, then you'd just have to configure the XBMC client addon to use the correct credentials.

Here's a short step-by-step guide:

In the tvheadend web interface:

1. Enable your tuner.
2. Add a "network by location"
3. Wait for it to scan for services (muxes awaiting inital scan will go to zero)
4. Map services to channels

Optionally you can configure XMLTV, though most people don't need it so leave that for last.

Thanks for (mostly) telling me I haven't lost my mind! Those are the steps I followed (once I got to my web browser interface- it was pretty intuitive). And so the channels are showing up through the browser interface (on my PC) hosted on the Pi. I am still baffled why they don't display there. Any more ideas? I am guessing it has to do with something I need to configure through an interface over there.
In XBMC have you gone into setup|addons|enabled addons|PVR clients and configured the PVR Tvheadend addon?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-29, 22:16)nickr Wrote: In XBMC have you gone into setup|addons|enabled addons|PVR clients and configured the PVR Tvheadend addon?

Yes, I went in there- though there wasn't much that appeared to need to be changed in "Tvheadend HTSP Client" (and many thanks for being very specific about the exact location in the "menu tree"). I have disabled everything for now, so I don't get nags about configuration and unplugged tuner. I will fix that and re-try (i.e. mess around in there and experiment). Is there any setting in particular I should check and what should it be set to?

UPDATE EDIT: i just looked again, and I didn't change anything in the config. "...hostname or IP address" : 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address of the Pi itself, of course), HTTP Port: 9981 ; HTSP port: 9982 (neither port would affect my symptom I don't think)- however I haven't been able to get to anything via the HTSP port from my PC's browser (I saw one post that said to use that in the address when accessing from another machine). The username and pwd are blank. Then timeouts are set to 10 and 5 seconds (not the issue).

I did see a post (on XBMC) that said that once everything is setup, go into XBMC and "Add Source", setting it to the machine's address (or loopback address I would think, especially since DHCP might change it, and the HTSP port: "htsp://ipaddress:9982". There's no indication of where XBMC has the "Add Source" to which that refers. Any ideas?

I had installed and enabled MythTV as a client too- is it bad to have more than one enabled (I have a bunch installed- though I only chose the two to install)?

MANY thanks-

Bill
You have to create a user in tvheadend's web interface, then use those credentials when configuring the Tvheadend HTSP Client addon. Then enable the add-on and enable Live TV from System -> Settings -> Live TV.
(2013-09-29, 23:33)negge Wrote: You have to create a user in tvheadend's web interface, then use those credentials when configuring the Tvheadend HTSP Client addon. Then enable the add-on and enable Live TV from System -> Settings -> Live TV.

I did that already- there are lots of sub-items in Settings | Live TV, each of them having numerous config items. In "General" I looked at "Channel Manager", and there are no channels. It's as though I need to re-scan or refresh the channels from the same source that displays all of them through the web interface (whatever that might be).

In Settings | Live TV | Client specific- when I click the single item in that category, also named "Client specific settings", nothing happens. Only the TVHeadend client is enabled. This might have no significance whatsoever- but I assumed that it would open something, maybe the settings for the enabled client. But I don't know.

Still mostly lost... but thanks so much for your repeated effort. I think I am standing on the wrong side of the finish line (maybe not standing- more like impatiently pacing).
(2013-09-29, 22:25)lunix Wrote:
(2013-09-29, 22:16)nickr Wrote: In XBMC have you gone into setup|addons|enabled addons|PVR clients and configured the PVR Tvheadend addon?

Yes, I went in there- The username and pwd are blank.
There is your problem then. IIRC when you set up tvheadend you set a username and password. If they aren't in the XBMC setup it is not going to work.

If you don't fix it like that, start looking in the xbmc logs and post a debug log (wiki) of your attampt to start the PVR client. Post it to pastebin or similar and give us the link. DO NOT post it inline here.
I will fix it and get back here - in probably an hour. Thanks- this is starting to make sense. I guess it doesn't matter what the username/pwd are as long as they agree on the tvheadend or XBMC client and server (service).
Well, I added the U- PWD in TvHeadend client, but see nowhere else to use this information. XBMC's Live TV settings (System | Settings | Live TV | <any of the 8 sub-items)- there's no place for a U-PWD. Likewise for the TvHeadend service- there's noplace to add those. I will check in the web client and see if I can find them there.

I'll be back...
Well, I broke it entirely- so I am minutes from success. On the Pi I am now getting popup messages: TVHeadend Client "Connection lost", and "Access Denied" though I don't know what is being denied access. I just rebooted the Pi, and am not trying to look at it via the browser on my PC. I will keep digging on the Pi and see if I can get it straightened out there, then will change it in the web interface (I found it under configuration, which I then set to match what I had entered for the TVheadend client config).

So you've set me on the right course and heading- I just need to calibrate my instruments a little.

Well, I can't get the messages to go away on the Pi- and can't login through the web interface (which now asks for User-Pwd info). Should I uninstall everything and start over? Or is there a way to fix it in OpenElec. I can do whatever from the command-line (via SSH- I've had no success in seeing the OE command-line on the Pi). I use BerryBoot.
I went into the Client setup on the Pi and removed the User-Pwd, so it's blank like it was. Rebooted the Pi. Still getting the same messages in OpenElec on the Pi and still getting prompted to enter the info when I try to use the web interface.

UPDATE: In OE, I went in and changed TVheadend client's settings back to default (which blanked the User-Pwd I had played with). Still getting the same "Connection Lost" and "Access Denied" messages there.
OK I'll have to wait until after work as I don't have access to my tvheadend setup at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec - no live TV for me0