Is there a way to completely reset WORKGROUP/Sharing on Win7??
Hi All

I had a thread here previously about my HTPC not coming up on my wifes Tab3 10.1 under SMB Workgroup....

After much mucking around I am at a dead end, it seems to me that its something wrong with my HTPC, I assume this because the Tablet picks up any other computer in WORKGROUP instantly (including my friends computers when they came round for a lan the other night). But no matter what I do it never see's the HTPC.

I also downloaded and installed XBMC on my S3 phone, but same issue, it picks up everything in WORKGROUP but my HTPC...

I have tried making a new WORKGROUP on my HTPC (which I called MEDIA), but that never showed up in XBMC on Android... I even when into XBMC - Settings - Services - SMB Client (I think its called) and changed WORKGROUP in there a few times (back and forth between the default WORKGROUP and the new MEDIA). But alas made no different, even with MEDIA set as the workgroup in XBMC it still only shows WORKGROUP when trying to load a source under SMB.

So, I'm thinking there must be something weird with the way my HTPC is set up, so is there anyway that people know of on how to totally reset all sharing/workgroups/networks/whatever on Win7 so I can start from scratch again with the HTPC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Can you ping the tab from the HTPC? Do other windows machines on the workgroup see the HTPC ?

Simply put a work group is a peer to peer setup - you can't "reset" a workgroup as such from Windows, its purely machines on the same subnet with the same workgroup name. As long as everything is on the same subnet and has the same workgroup name you should be able to see it.
Yeah all the actual computers can see each other, HTPC can see my main machine, my mates computers can see both my main and HTPC etc.

Its just the androids in XBMC that can see every computer OTHER than the HTPC, its really quite weird.

How would I ping the tab? Is there a way to find the IP of the tab?

Its weird cause in android XBMC the HTPC shows up under UPnP Devices, but using that is really not ideal as half the stuff on the HTPC is missing, and there are no scrapping options etc.

I guess the only thing that might be different about the HTPC is that out of the three or four computers at my house, its the only one that I have set a static IP for (10.1.1.50), I did this so I could use the Android XBMC remote to control the HTPCs version of XBMC using my phone.
Is your HTPC joined to a Homegroup?? If it is unjoin/delete the homegroup, it plays havoc with networking.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I have tried that as well (I read and followed the wikis SMB instructions).

I have tried with both Homegroup joined and not joined, there was no change. I'm fairly sure the other computers are joined to a homegroup as well and they are able to be seen.

I'm thinking there might be away for me to map the drives on my main machine and then share those mapped drives on the main machine, which android XBMC can see, so it can see it through that way perhaps? Still not an ideal solution,
download an app like IP Address Widget https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...myip&hl=en

On the windows machine - Start , then run and type:

ping (192.ip.address)

If you get a reply then at least we know its on the network

I'd install ES Explorer on the Tab - goto LAN and hit scan - see if sees the PC there - if it does then its not a network problem
You could also run the SMB server from an Android device (I do this). There may also be an alternative SMB server for windows.
(2013-10-02, 19:01)lb4406 Wrote: download an app like IP Address Widget https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...myip&hl=en

On the windows machine - Start , then run and type:

ping (192.ip.address)

If you get a reply then at least we know its on the network

I'd install ES Explorer on the Tab - goto LAN and hit scan - see if sees the PC there - if it does then its not a network problem

Tried the IP Address Widget, but when connected to Wifi at home, it has a weird address like: 80gfq:800f:8465:8dfg etc?
Hi All

The IP widget is now showing 121.99.167.54 on the tablet. both my main pc and htpc can ping this (though this ip is nothing like the rest of them which are in the 10.1.1.1 format).

I also downloaded ES Explorer on the tab and it scanned in the htpc, whats weird though is it found the computer name for all my other computers, but for the htpc it only found 10.1.1.50 which is its IP address. It still worked though and I could access the shares.

Any ideas
The wierd IP is probably your external internet IP, not the internal IP , which is why you can ping it. Can you access a share and play a file through es explorer ?
Also that IP widget seems borked but I found an easier waygo to WiFi on the tablet long press on the network you are connected to then press modify network and you should see the ip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a way to completely reset WORKGROUP/Sharing on Win7??0