intel nuc celeron
Hi,

Ive been racking my brain and searching around this forum and the openelec forum. thanks Eskro for all the great info!
I dont have or plan on 3d tv,most of my media is around 720p with the odd movie at 1080, I have a ps3 for bluray and plan on building a media server (when the wife is looking the other way) but for now will use an external HD

I'm about ot pull the pin, and would like some feedback. Can anyone see a fault in this openelec system

Intel Nuc DCCP847DYE Intel Cerleron 847 1.1GHZ QS77 Ucff 2XDDR3 SO-DIMM Slots 2XHDMI Barebone
2GB 1333MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 SODIMM SR X8
nGear 6FT Notebook Power Cord 3 Prong C5 Connector
I plan to run off a 16gb thumb drive.

will I see a huge difference in performance by adding the following?

Intel 525 Series Lincoln Crest 30GB SSD Ies mSATA 6GBS 25nm MLC 3.6MM OEM
not getting it means more money for a remote

thanks for any advice
sorry if Ive missed any details
I am using pretty much that, I have the SSD rather than a thumb drive (I don't fancy having a thumb stick poking out where my young one could pull it out) and I have 4G of memory, but that was to keep OS options more open. I can not comment on the thumb driver versus SSD performance but my initial test run from a cheap thumb drive was fine.

I am running the current version of Openelec as of writing this and it plays back everything I have more or less perfectly, even BD iso files. Pretty much our whole collection is ISO files of our DVD collection with a couple of BD ones and other than that, a handful of things off a video camera and some recorded TV and a small assortment of other stuff.

People talk about the Ivy/Sandy bridge NUC suffering from an issue playing back BD content at the 23.xxxhz refresh rate but I have not picked it so far myself. I had grief with the Celeron NUC under Ubuntu with XBMC installed over that OS trying to play back BD content but Openelec does not suffer it. I can not comment on XBMCbuntu as one add on I run is not compatible with that and I would rather change to Openelec than do without the add on.
Thanks for the ideas guys, I have a question though

Is it fluid in openelec? jumping between menus backwards forwards etc

I ideally want it to look nice as well, so maybe aeon mq4. if I need to I will wait a month and go for the i3 version over the celeron....
I have a celeron 847. 4GB RAM, and a USB3.0 16GB. Openelec straight boot.

It works extremely well with Aeon Nox. Fluid as anything. Plays 1080p & 5.1 audio from a NAS Drive fine. Streams internet video and spotify fine. I love it.
I also have the celeron running 4gb ram and off a SSD. Aeon Nox runs like butter. Highly recommended!
Trigger......pulled! Cheers gents
In regards to your question about the SSD vs using a good fast flash drive:

The boot time will probably be about the same (can you really tell the difference between say 13 secs and 16 secs?), but the one benifit if you wanted would be the thumbnail cache.

With Frodo, XBMC caches all the pictures/metadata/etc locally on each xbmc install, so that kind of info WILL be stored and accessed from the flash drive.
Some folks have reported it being a lot snappier when using an mSATA over the flash in that regard, but I think you can definitely get a feel for that yourself first, then decide if you want an mSATA SSD or not.

GL, and enjoy!
If I understand correctly, with the NUC, OPENElec can run with the usb stick and no mSATA is needed?
(2013-10-31, 17:37)husky55 Wrote: If I understand correctly, with the NUC, OPENElec can run with the usb stick and no mSATA is needed?

You understand correctly. Openelec can run from a USB drive in most modern systems.
Intel Celeron NUC + mSATA SSD + Openelec is what I use, and recommend to anyone who wants a media player appliance. It's amazingly simple and rock solid.

You've made an excellent choice!
Thanks Everyone, Its Ordered!! cant wait, got a sweet deal on it too! $157 and thats in Canada.

(2013-10-31, 13:28)smallclone Wrote: I have a celeron 847. 4GB RAM, and a USB3.0 16GB. Openelec straight boot.

It works extremely well with Aeon Nox. Fluid as anything. Plays 1080p & 5.1 audio from a NAS Drive fine. Streams internet video and spotify fine. I love it.

I also have a 16GB usb 3.0 thumb but am I correct in thinking the NUC only has usb 2.0 ports?

(2013-10-31, 17:18)00b5 Wrote: In regards to your question about the SSD vs using a good fast flash drive:

The boot time will probably be about the same (can you really tell the difference between say 13 secs and 16 secs?), but the one benifit if you wanted would be the thumbnail cache.

With Frodo, XBMC caches all the pictures/metadata/etc locally on each xbmc install, so that kind of info WILL be stored and accessed from the flash drive.
Some folks have reported it being a lot snappier when using an mSATA over the flash in that regard, but I think you can definitely get a feel for that yourself first, then decide if you want an mSATA SSD or not.

GL, and enjoy!

Good point. im starting with the aforemetioned 16gb usb, if I add a msata drive in the future I guess I have to do a fresh install? or is it a matter of cut and paste from thumb to ssd?
Best option would be to backup the USB install, do a fresh install on the msata drive, then transfer the backup. Slightly more involved but less chance of complications.
ahh yes that makes sense. thanks for the info
Typically as soon as I pulled the trigger on this I saw a thread re 23/24fps video issues?

Can anyone shed any light on this and how bad it is?

Many thanks

Also just a quick note would a Acer Revo RL80 be a big step up over the nuc?
Intel Celeron 1007 1.5GHz in the Acer vs - Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz in the nuc?
(2013-11-01, 13:07)DiCe! Wrote: Typically as soon as I pulled the trigger on this I saw a thread re 23/24fps video issues?

Can anyone shed any light on this and how bad it is?

Think you get a repeated/dropped frame every few minutes or so? If you notice it, you notice it? If you get annoyed by it, you get annoyed by it.

I see it, and it annoys me a tiny bit, but the price of my Celeron 1007U Revo RL80 didn't annoy me!

Quote:Many thanks

Also just a quick note would a Acer Revo RL80 be a big step up over the nuc?
Intel Celeron 1007 1.5GHz in the Acer vs - Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz in the nuc?

Think both are fine for OpenElec, though I'd expect heavier skins are possibly a little smoother.

The Revo is bigger (but still not huge), but has a higher spec (not just a faster CPU) and includes WiFi (inc 5GHz), Bluetooth, USB 3, SD Card reader, RAM and a hard drive, and in the UK was cheaper than a barebones NUC (not including WiFi, RAM or a drive) after cashback, which made it a no-brainer for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
intel nuc celeron0