Req Samsung Smart TV App
There is nothing better or even close to XBMC in term of interface, library feature and flexibility and to me UPnP/DLNA is not an option.
I like the idea to have XBMC installed directly on my tv without a pc connected to it with the extra hdmi cable, power cable etc and need to boot it.
Since many user have their media on a NAS or server anyways they don't need a additional pc to maintain. Actually I need 4 pc's and a server to have XBMC in my house.
One of the first thing I will look into for my next TV will be this option and The first company who will have this option available will make a giant marketing step and please don't mention PLEX.
There is some progress on LG side by installing Android XBMC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfP2a465KkI)...
I doubt that any TV manufacturer will implement XBMC directly. Via android or googletv remains a possibility, but apparently the LG gtv doesn't work that well.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Can I see and play the video files in my (Windows media library from my Samsung smart TV? (I have been playing with Plex, but it insists on trying (and failing) to identify my video files and ends up naming and postering them all completely wrongly.)
Neither Windows media library, Plex nor Samsung are XBMC. I think you need another fourm.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would also like to see a Kodi app created using Samsungs SDK for their Smart TVs. I would rather not build another computer to connect to my 2nd TV if I could just run Kodi off the Smart TV. If someone with programming skills would be interested in pursuing this.
Just buy a cheap Android media player that support Kodi, like Amazon Fire TV Stick or the hundreds of Chinese media sticks.

Many newer televisions include Android support so unlikely that someone will make a port of Kodi to an outdated platform.
(2014-12-18, 17:23)gthornh Wrote: I would also like to see a Kodi app created using Samsungs SDK for their Smart TVs. I would rather not build another computer to connect to my 2nd TV if I could just run Kodi off the Smart TV. If someone with programming skills would be interested in pursuing this.
what do you mean kodi app? Kodi is written in c++. Do you really think someone wants to port that to a shortlived sdk, that will be dumped /changed when samsung produce a new tv range, for tv hardware that is very unlikely to have the cojones to run a decent gui?
Why dont you guys ask Samsung or <insert-my-not-so-smart-tv-manufacturer-here>? To do it? Its their TV they have the resources to do whatever they like if they can/want.
(2014-12-20, 01:30)uNiversal Wrote: Why dont you guys ask Samsung or <insert-my-not-so-smart-tv-manufacturer-here>? To do it? Its their TV they have the resources to do whatever they like if they can/want.
Precisely!
Now that we have come full circle,

Solution as previously mentioned > USB Power +RPi or Amazon Fire TV Stick > Dumb TV + HDMI CEC = $$$ saved

You know whats weird, people today more often have à smart tv And tablets and no pc or htpc are something like that.

So why do we have to buy something else to use kodi/xbmc.
I got à Samsung smart tv And à synology thats all I need, kodi is getting to raspi And Android so why not à smart tv. Then we dont have to buy anything else. That is the open source way, free And not to buy anything else.

Dont get me wrong I got an raspi And Apple tv( by the way when subs added it always Chrashes)
Because I love kodi/xbmc, you guys are doing à great job already.

Best regards,

Benito2313
Maybe Kodi should deploy better HTML-interface.
No need different settings on every kodi on different room TVConfused
It will work every smart devices on same settings.

some old demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBkCHVxJg8
Because Samsung can't make a good smart TV to save their life.

If you choose to buy something that can't run Kodi, and you go "why should I have to buy something to run Kodi", then I don't know what to say to that. That's like asking why you can't play Mario because you chose to buy a PlayStation. We can't control what you buy.
So what you are saying is that à little thing like à raspi has better hardware then à smart tv?
Or is it à software thing?

But you guys know what your doing so your probably right.
And if it was possible you Would share it.

I just hope there will be à day that we dont have to hook something up to our TV.
That is just my problem ( And so many others too).
It has different hardware, open hardware and APIs that don't make you run via the manufacturer's little eco-system.

I ignore the smart features of my LG, unless I am extremely bored. However I find the system so awful that extreme boredom is better than dealing with it.

To brighten your day, there seem to be a lot of AndroidTv TVs on the horizon. Unless they are locked down to hell (and of course they might be) they should be able to at least install Kodi, and we'll see how that goes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Smart TV App0