Star Trek scraping
hello fellow trekkers,
I've got a problem scraping my almost-complete Star Trek TV shows collection.

The structure is this:

Code:
TV-shows
   |
  Star Trek
        |
      Star Trek The Original Series
              |
             S1
                |
               Star Trek The Original Series S01x01 - show name.avi
             S2
      Star Trek The Next Generation
              |
             S1
                |
               Star Trek The Next Generation S01x01 - show name.avi
             S2
... and do on with DS9 and Voyager

Problem is that the scan reports all the shows as if they were Star Trek The Original Series!

Alarmed, I searched the forums and noticed that I didnt unset the "Folder contains a single TV show" option in the original "Star Trek" folder
I unset it, and rescan.
But it wasnt that: the scan is the same again... so what am I doing wrong?
It is scraping on the folder - Star Trek and ignoring everything below that level. Your folder set-up should be

Code:
TV-shows
   |
              |
             S1
                |
             S2
              |
             S1
                |
             S2

removing the Star Trek level with the series folders sitting immediately below the TV Shows folder.
(2013-12-01, 13:11)steelman1991 Wrote: It is scraping on the folder - Star Trek and ignoring everything below that level. Your folder set-up should be
<.....>

removing the Star Trek level with the series folders sitting immediately below the TV Shows folder.

oops! I thought I read somewhere that it was possible to have "genres" subfolders - provided you unset the option I wrote about (folder contains one tv show only)

I was wrong?
You could probably have genre folder though unnecessary because xbmc automatically handles genres.

However Star Trek is not a genre while science fiction is.

If you really must have genres the its

Code:
TV-shows     <<   set content here
   |
  Science Fiction
        |
              |
             S1
                |
             S2
              |
             S1
                |
             S2

And just set content TV shows on the TV show folder, use your desired scraper and leave rest of options untouched.
The problem with having a "Science Fiction" folder and setting content at the "TV-Shows" folder level is that the scraper will attempt to look for a TV series named "Science Fiction", which will result in either no matches or a match to some other undesired series name. As was suggested above, just leave out the intermediate folder level . Once your shows/episodes have been scanned into the library, you can list the contents by genre.
It should work. I think you need to scan in the sub folder first or something. I do this with some shows. I'll try it wi Star Trek and report back.
(2013-12-01, 22:05)artrafael Wrote: The problem with having a "Science Fiction" folder and setting content at the "TV-Shows" folder level is that the scraper will attempt to look for a TV series named "Science Fiction", which will result in either no matches or a match to some other undesired series name. As was suggested above, just leave out the intermediate folder level . Once your shows/episodes have been scanned into the library, you can list the contents by genre.

yes, I read a bit about it and it worried me - being used to pre-define my genres for each movie.
Besides, sometimes the genres according to imdb/thetvdb do not agree with me, or are more then one (one thing I hate :-)

So - for movies, I have genre subfolders, each one is a source scraped individually, and I browse them in the Video menu - I like it.
TVshows are all together for now, not genre-subdivided. I tried - as I wrote - to put just the Star Trek shows as a subfolder, but could make it work. Now they are all upper level, but it isnt a big problem.

thanks for the help!
You can override or append to the genres scraped from thetvdb.com site by use of nfo (wiki) files. See this example where genres are overridden/appended locally (although example is for movies, the same procedure applies to TV shows): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO...ML_and_URL
(2013-12-02, 01:09)artrafael Wrote: You can override or append to the genres scraped from thetvdb.com site by use of nfo (wiki) files. See this example where genres are overridden/appended locally (although example is for movies, the same procedure applies to TV shows): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO...ML_and_URL

you're right, in fact at first I did just that - but with a large library it becomes tedious very fast!
Now I'm re-thinking about it since, having discovered the wonderful export-library system of xbmc, I have the .nfo's automatically saved at each movie location, and I could simply delete/change the genre lines I do not agree with.
By the way, if I change a movie nfo, how do I ask xbmc to update the movie?
(2013-12-02, 12:52)alexxx Wrote: By the way, if I change a movie nfo, how do I ask xbmc to update the movie?

Movie:
1) Press 'i' to bring up the info screen for the movie and press the "refresh" button.
3) Next it will ask you want to ignore the locally stored info (which is the .nfo files). Select "no".

Tv-show:
1) Press the 'i' key when having the TV-show in focus in the list of TV-shows and press the "refresh" button.
2) It will then ask you if you want to refresh all the episodes. Select "yes".
3) Next it will ask you want to ignore the locally stored info (which is the .nfo files). Select "no".
NFO files don't need to take a lot of work. You only need to use a single "tvshow.nfo with just a single line with the URL of thetvdb.com
For "The Next Generation" that would be "http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=71470"
This way the scraper knows where to get its info. Folder names are no longer import then.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2013-12-04, 00:31)PH-SYM Wrote: NFO files don't need to take a lot of work. You only need to use a single "tvshow.nfo with just a single line with the URL of thetvdb.com
For "The Next Generation" that would be "http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=71470"
This way the scraper knows where to get its info. Folder names are no longer import then.

This works exactly the same as giving it the name of the 1st episode in the folder, e.g. "Star Trek The Next Generation S03E01.nfo" ?
I had this *exact* same problem. (Same content: a "Star Trek" folder with sub folders for each series in the Star Trek franchise, and XBMC recognizing all of them as the original series.)

I re-organized my directories as suggested previously in this thread, so each series is now in the root of the video source, and I used a SQLite database util to update the paths in the XBMC "paths" table.

Now, XBMC does recognize each folder correctly, for example when I select that folder in XBMC the correct background image is displayed, and if I right-click on the folder in XBMC and select "tv show information" it displays the correct description of the series that is in that folder.

HOWEVER, it still thinks that the individual files within those folders are episodes of the original series.

How do I fix this? (Preferably without XBMC losing track of which episodes have already been watched - I really don't want to take the brute force approach of deleting the whole DB and re-scraping everything.)
Would having a folder structure labeled like this with the title Star Trek collection keep everything separate per series?

Code:
TV-shows
   |
  Star Trek Collection
        |
              |
             S1
                |
             S2
              |
             S1
                |
             S2
(2014-08-21, 05:08)Tatts4Life Wrote: Would having a folder structure labeled like this with the title Star Trek collection keep everything separate per series?

Code:
TV-shows (source)
   |
  Star Trek Collection (first subfolder)
        |
      Star Trek The Original Series (second subfolder)
              |
             S1 (third subfolder)
                |
             S2
              |
             S1
                |
             S2

It depends on which folder is set as source. In your case, if it´s "TV-Shows", it might not work because IIRC TV-Shows are only scraped if max. 2 subfolders exists (S1 is then the third one..take a look above...I changed a bit in your structure). So if your structure looks like this, you have to set your source at "Star Trek Collection".This, indeed, wouldn´t make any sense, because I suppose you have more than one series in your library Wink and XBMC will then only "see" the series underlying to that folder. So I would get rid of the "Star Trek Collection"-folder, don´t touch the rest and set the source at "TV-Shows" and you´re done.

Cheers
David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Star Trek scraping0