Solved No HDMI Audio when Changing AVR Inputs
My system is currently setup like this:

HTPC -> AVR -> TV - Connected via HDMI

Everything works great, except when I switch inputs on my AVR. For example, I am watching HTPC, then decide to play Xbox 360 (also connect to AVR via HDMI), then decide to watch HTPC again. The HTPC is still on and when the AVR switches to the PC input I get video, but the NVidia HD Audio device no longer shows any connected devices (ie the AVR).

Currently there are two ways I can fix this. Disabling and then enabling the device either in Windows Sound Control or in the Nvidia Control Panel. The other way is by putting the system into Standby (or full restart) and then resuming.

I have Googled, searched these forums and read this thread about Windows Audio issues and the linked threads therein. No luck. Updated drivers and firmware. Still no luck.

So, to recap, I am having a issue with the Nvidia HD Audio driver reconnecting (handshake, maybe?) to the AVR once the AVR switches inputs or is turned off and PC stays on. As long as the PC goes to sleep, this is not an issue, but most times, it is awake doing stuff.

Any help or direction to some help would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to contact Nvidia to see where I can get with them. Thanks in advance.

HTPC Specs: AMD Athlon 4850e 2.5 GHz, 4.00 GB ram, Geforce 8400GS, Windows 7 Pro SP 1
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR616
Update:

I was searching around some more and found a lot of information about Nvidia, handshaking, and the EDID. I do remember I had this issue a long time ago with a different TV and had to use DVI and analog audio outs to get everything to function correctly. This appears to be slightly different because it is only affects the audio, the video comes back just fine when switching inputs and turning off the receiver (receiver supports HDMI pass through).
Got it! In my case all that was needed was to cover pin 19 on the HDMI cable connecting the PC and the AVR.

Check out this thread on AVS Forums for a detailed explanation of the issue with multiple fix suggestions:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-o...-ati-5xxxs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI Audio when Changing AVR Inputs0