HDMI audio cutting out
Im having a problem with my HDMI audio cutting out. My setup is a android box with Frodo 12.0 (12.2 wasn't playing files choppy so I went back to 12.0) plugged into my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver (Had the HDMI board replaced by Onkyo with a newer fix).

What is happening is the audio will cut out for a second, I don't lose video though. I can see on the face of the receiver the HDMI light will flash and the type of audio that is displayed will disappear and then come back like it loses a signal from the box. This is only happening while im in XBMC. It will do it while even just navigating the menus. I have tried all different audio settings, different HDMI ports and cables, a different android box, but can not figure it out.

Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions?
So I have tried every setting on my receiver and in XBMC and still not luck. I finally got XNMC logger to install so here is a log file. Under the Audio output device it only selects ANDROID, AUDIOTRACK and under Passthrough Output Device ERROR - NO DEVICES FOUND, I cant change the options. I have tried turning RHID off on my receiver and tried just passtrough and still nothing. If anyone can take a look at the log and see if they can find anything I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone that has a Onkyo TX-NR609 has experienced any of the same issues. This is the only issue that is keeping me from ditching my WD Live box lol.

Log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=98664
I just updated the Onkyo firmware and still no luck.
I too have the infamous TX-NR609. Great receiver, except for this stupid problem.

I haven't found a solution. You either get the loss of audio during playback sometimes, or you change settings and it never drops but audio sync isn't correct.

I'm close to just saying sod it to the Onkyo and getting a Denon, or saying sod it to XBMC and going back to media portal (used to use that 3 years ago)
I'm glad to hear im not the only one. What type of setup are you using? Is it android? I actually just got a Ouya, im gonna give it a try incase there was just some weird hardware conflict with the MX box I was using. Ill post my results when I get to try it out. I hope it works cause I don't like the UI of my WDTV box and plus it is so slow, I wanna ditch it so bad.
(2013-12-22, 20:45)trashman677 Wrote: I just updated the Onkyo firmware and still no luck.

(2013-12-24, 00:53)trashman677 Wrote: I'm glad to hear im not the only one. What type of setup are you using? Is it android? I actually just got a Ouya, im gonna give it a try incase there was just some weird hardware conflict with the MX box I was using. Ill post my results when I get to try it out. I hope it works cause I don't like the UI of my WDTV box and plus it is so slow, I wanna ditch it so bad.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I have a home built HTPC running Win7 Ultimate and and AMD video card (low-end, HTPC silent kind...can't remember...5450 or something?)

I'm running XBMC 12.3. Setting WASAPI or DIRECT HDMI, using HDMI/CoaxOptical/Analog 2.0.....nothing works to solve this except enabling Audio Sync....however, doing that DOESN'T sync the audio and instead makes it horribly out of sync no matter the extra settings. (yeah,go figure that one out)

I might be getting a new receiver JUST to solve this problem or go back to Media Portal, which I never had these issues with. I just enjoy using XBMC a bit more with the interface speed and the ability to add sources within the program.

I think it has to do with something on how the FPS of the video, syncing, etc come together and sending a quick FPS change, since my display (Sony 55") changes the picture settings whenever there's a different "content" and displays a message. Each time the audio cuts out, I see that message.

So, right now to have audio in sync I have to have absolutely no syncing options (refresh rate, etc) enabled (Pffft...what the?) and the audio being ANALOG 2.0 with WASAPI. But then audio cuts out. I've spent a few hours trying to solve this problem, removing the entire XBMC install and profiles, changing video drivers, changing video cards, changing video card MAKES (AMD and NVIDIA), Onkyo settings, new HDMI cable, etc.

VERY VERY frustrating using XBMC due to this one stupid problem. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the hard work people have put into this, but this one annoying issue almost is driving me back to Media Portal....i'm just too lazy to redo all the customized work I've put into my remote and XBMC scripts/etc.

I haven't tried XBMC Gotham yet though. Maybe I'll try that today and report on how well it works.

EDIT: 1/25/2014. I didn't try Gotham. I got a killer deal on a Yamaha RX-V673. Using this receiver solved the audio drop outs for the five videos I've tried so far. Over time I'll update this post with any issues. I'm not a huge fan of Yamaha's video processing (or lack thereof). My Onkyo smoothed out rough videos easily....the Yamaha doesn't do as good of job, but sitting back 9 feet from a 55" lcd TV I can't tell a difference, only closer around 5 feet.

EDIT: 1/29/2014. Video continues to drop out for half a second on a few files, making the screen go black, but audio continues uninterrupted. I'll have to play with that a little bit more and see why that is. It might just be XBMC internal player having issues with a bad encode. But as far as the audio sync and audio cutting out, the Yamaha is flying high without any problems where the Onkyo would be struggling. Time to put the Onkyo up for sale, or put it downstairs in the family room and get surround down there.

EDIT: 2/2/2014. Solved the video drop outs by disabling DXVA. Video seems a lot smoother too. Still no problems with audio sync for the most part. There's a few poorly encoded titles that i'll need to redo, but seems solved with the Yamaha.
(2014-01-18, 17:47)dogchainx Wrote:
(2013-12-22, 20:45)trashman677 Wrote: I just updated the Onkyo firmware and still no luck.

(2013-12-24, 00:53)trashman677 Wrote: I'm glad to hear im not the only one. What type of setup are you using? Is it android? I actually just got a Ouya, im gonna give it a try incase there was just some weird hardware conflict with the MX box I was using. Ill post my results when I get to try it out. I hope it works cause I don't like the UI of my WDTV box and plus it is so slow, I wanna ditch it so bad.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I have a home built HTPC running Win7 Ultimate and and AMD video card (low-end, HTPC silent kind...can't remember...5450 or something?)

I'm running XBMC 12.3. Setting WASAPI or DIRECT HDMI, using HDMI/CoaxOptical/Analog 2.0.....nothing works to solve this except enabling Audio Sync....however, doing that DOESN'T sync the audio and instead makes it horribly out of sync no matter the extra settings. (yeah,go figure that one out)

I might be getting a new receiver JUST to solve this problem or go back to Media Portal, which I never had these issues with. I just enjoy using XBMC a bit more with the interface speed and the ability to add sources within the program.

I think it has to do with something on how the FPS of the video, syncing, etc come together and sending a quick FPS change, since my display (Sony 55") changes the picture settings whenever there's a different "content" and displays a message. Each time the audio cuts out, I see that message.

So, right now to have audio in sync I have to have absolutely no syncing options (refresh rate, etc) enabled (Pffft...what the?) and the audio being ANALOG 2.0 with WASAPI. But then audio cuts out. I've spent a few hours trying to solve this problem, removing the entire XBMC install and profiles, changing video drivers, changing video cards, changing video card MAKES (AMD and NVIDIA), Onkyo settings, new HDMI cable, etc.

VERY VERY frustrating using XBMC due to this one stupid problem. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the hard work people have put into this, but this one annoying issue almost is driving me back to Media Portal....i'm just too lazy to redo all the customized work I've put into my remote and XBMC scripts/etc.

I haven't tried XBMC Gotham yet though. Maybe I'll try that today and report on how well it works.

EDIT: 1/25/2014. I didn't try Gotham. I got a killer deal on a Yamaha RX-V673. Using this receiver solved the audio drop outs for the five videos I've tried so far. Over time I'll update this post with any issues. I'm not a huge fan of Yamaha's video processing (or lack thereof). My Onkyo smoothed out rough videos easily....the Yamaha doesn't do as good of job, but sitting back 9 feet from a 55" lcd TV I can't tell a difference, only closer around 5 feet.

EDIT: 1/29/2014. Video continues to drop out for half a second on a few files, making the screen go black, but audio continues uninterrupted. I'll have to play with that a little bit more and see why that is. It might just be XBMC internal player having issues with a bad encode. But as far as the audio sync and audio cutting out, the Yamaha is flying high without any problems where the Onkyo would be struggling. Time to put the Onkyo up for sale, or put it downstairs in the family room and get surround down there.

EDIT: 2/2/2014. Solved the video drop outs by disabling DXVA. Video seems a lot smoother too. Still no problems with audio sync for the most part. There's a few poorly encoded titles that i'll need to redo, but seems solved with the Yamaha.
I had this same problem with sound cutting in and out AND video was very choppy too.
The solution was to go:

1. Settings > Display:
a) Change monitor to HDMI
b) Choose 'blank other displays'

Note that also you may have to restart your Kodi or even device (if you have LibreElec) for your TV to see the HDMI signal.

I put this here in case there are others like me who are not totally up on the technical terms. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI audio cutting out0