YV12 -> YUY2
need some info off frodo for this, but i think hardware conversion may be possible...
however, it's only worth doing if xbmc/mplayer can be set up so that mplayer is decoding one frame while the converter is converting a different frame (and a different frame is being displayed. so you have to run with 3 frames in the pipeline. atm i think we run with two - one in decode and one on the screen.
if this is possible i'll have a good think about optimizing the yv12 to yuy2 converter.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

that should b possible
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
butcher = mr.optimizer

* pike likes butcher
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Question 
for those who haven't followed all posts know that a such optimization could take down video playback from 90% to 10% cpu usage
it's sad that i'm excited by this.
the conversion is working, i still need to resolve a few bugs with getting the data out of mplayer, but expect to see this in cvs tomorrow.

great news! good work, butcher.

seeing as you seem to be the most knowledgeable with regards to directx and the like, do you have any idea why we can't get hardware overlays to work full res in 1080i mode? currently the surface is hacked to 540 pixels high, which i assume is simply being displayed in both fields of the interlaced image, instead of it showing only the odd lines then even of a 1080 high surface.

i don't know enough to determine whether this is a hardware restriction, or we're just setting up the display incorrectly, but it'd be nice to not have the 1080i hacks in there if at all possible.

cheers,
jonathan

excellent work butcher!

jcmarshall, wasnt there a limitation how big an overlay texture could be?
frodo
btw don't expect to see the cpu drop entirely. decoding a large mpeg movie is still going to be expensive, mpeg isn't cheap to decode. it does mean we're not burning all the cpu memory bandwidth doing yv12->yuy2 conversion though.

cant wait to see this working, at the moment converting yv12->yuy2 is the major bottleneck in xbmc
offcourse when thats solved, we gotta see whats the next bottleneck and if that can be solved also
frodo
not sure if this can help out any developers (other than butcher) but i gathered info before: http://sourceforge.net/tracker....=817681
...as i under it the gpu could also be used for 'post processing', video/picture/gui enhancements, and maybe even deinterlaceing(?) Image
i would love to work on that
however my directx knowledge is very basic. dont even wanna compare it with butchers :d
think i gonna buy myself a good book on directx8 or 9 first
frodo
(frodo @ mar. 03 2004,13:00 Wrote:think i gonna buy myself a good book on directx8 or 9 first
frodo
when is your birthday, i will buy you one Image (i believe directx 8 is closest to xbox?, though it has a few things extra from 9?, correct)
thx, but my birthday is @ the end of this year.
think i pay a visit to amazon.com..
frodo
(gamester17 @ mar. 03 2004,13:30 Wrote:
(frodo @ mar. 03 2004,13:00 Wrote:think i gonna buy myself a good book on directx8 or 9 first
frodo
when is your birthday, i will buy you one Image (i believe directx 8 is closest to xbox?, though it has a few things extra from 9?, correct)
it's directx 8 with some specifc xbox additions and omissions.
if you're after books i can recommend realtime rendering by akenine-moeller & haines. i don't actually have any books specifically on directx, i just use the docs for that. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YV12 -> YUY20