[Pivos] "official" support?
I recently purchased some Pivos boxes that claim they are "XBMC...officially supported"

I have however found the following...

"official builds" for both android and Linux are 12.0 There is not even an official 12.2, let alone 12.3 and may never see an official 13 build based on that reputation

"Nightlies" for linux have not been updated for some time and current version gives me a loopback interface IP. I might be able to install network manager add on from SD card and use WifI to be able to get that iterface up but not even sure that will work. With ethernet and no IP I can not ssh and there is not even a way to exit to terminal but I think I might be able to hotkey to a shell but may waste my time if it is completely broken

What are people running on Pivos and what happened to "Official Support"?
why don't you redirect your question to the Pivos forum?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
They seem to promote older (12.0) official, and user broken contributed builds. I was really hopping someone may know of a tested and working 12.3 or at least 12.2 build, therefore I come to the official xbmc forums.
I don't believe there is anything other than what they provide if you're wanting a 12.X build.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Pivos provides a 12.0 and 12.2 based builds. 12.3 will be skipped for Gotham based builds.
Has a final decision on 12.3 been made? I was told that a decision is being made.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4207
Would you rather I flip a coin and decide 'head - Gotham', 'tails - Frodo 12.3' ?
I'd rather you focus on stable, official builds than alpha builds that don't even have a stable build release date. 12.3 is out.....13 is a dream at this point if one wants an official release. With new hardware coming out soon (lol) 13 can be the focus for that but for those of us who have already invested in a Pivos ignoring 12.3 is a little bit of a slap in the face.
I just setup some M1 hardware for a friend and got it running well but I won't be able to lookup what build it was for a week or so. When I get back I can checkout another friend's M3 box. I had the HD video and SD TV stuff playing well off a local HDD. Took me a bit to find a build that showed USB drives by volume name. The final issue I couldn't overcome was playing DVD ISO files, video always stuttered.

What kinds of files are you having issues with? The Pivos forums had links to quite a few builds and I had the system working after trying just a few of them. Oh, I ran the system on Linux not Android.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Pivos officially supports XBMC. XBMC does not officially support Pivos. We like them and think they make a cool box, but if you want Pivos support, you need to ask Pivos.
Davilla is connected to Pivos so if he is going to post here then he should be expected to answer here.

XBMC does not officially support anything (a convenient out when questions are asked) but it would be foolish to think that the future of XBMC doesn't rely on companies like Pivos so getting in a huff about questions regarding them is just childish.

Maybe CyanogenMod is an example that XBMC needs to follow and the developers involved need to grow up and try and make something out of XBMC instead of just whining when someone asks a question they don't like the answer to.
(Sigh)

XBMC isn't striving to be anything as you assume. XBMC is built, for free, by a community of interested developers. Companies like Pivos have chosen to support development because it helps them sell hardware but XBMC owes them nothing. Frankly your assertion that the XBMC developers "need" Pivos or in some way need to do anything other than explore and build features that the volunteer developers find interesting is pretty offensive. You seem to be aware of how some Android development has proceeded, it's a shame you're ignorant of how open source programs like XBMC have been developed. This isn't a commercial product and I've seen no indication from the project leaders that they want it to be...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2014-01-06, 06:06)Scott00007 Wrote: Davilla is connected to Pivos so if he is going to post here then he should be expected to answer here.

XBMC does not officially support anything (a convenient out when questions are asked) but it would be foolish to think that the future of XBMC doesn't rely on companies like Pivos so getting in a huff about questions regarding them is just childish.

Maybe CyanogenMod is an example that XBMC needs to follow and the developers involved need to grow up and try and make something out of XBMC instead of just whining when someone asks a question they don't like the answer to.

Let me be clear. First, telling anyone on this forum to "grow up" or that they are "whining" is massively disrespectful and a violation of Rule #1 on the forum rules. Consider this your warning. You can be civil, or you can get a hothead ban for a few days.

Second, nobody is in a huff. The only person that answers questions in these forums that also works for Pivos is Davilla, and he is very clear to wear two different hats. If you want to ask a Pivos question, ask Pivos. You can also choose to ask us, but, surprise surprise, the vast majority of the time none of us will know the answer to a Pivos-specific question and Scott almost certainly won't answer a Pivos specific question in these forums, so... we... direct... users... to... Pivos, so you can actually get your question answered. The choice is invariably yours. Bang your head into the wall where nobody can help, or go where people can.

Third, XBMC supports XBMC. If you have questions about XBMC itself, rather than about how an outside company is dealing with XBMC, you are free to ask those questions. There are well over a hundred thousand threads in this forum, all dedicated to answering XBMC questions.

Fourth, and finally, I'm not sure if you understand what you are asking for with regards to CyanogenMod. Team XBMC develops XBMC. We (with contributions from users) develop all new features for XBMC, provide all the bug resolutions, and otherwise handle the evolution of the software. You are evidently asking us to do what Google does, develop Android, and then ALSO do what CyanogenMod does, provide specific Android support for dozens of different unique devices. No offense to you, but such a suggestion is insane, unless you happen to have some additional suggestion for roughly doubling our staff who all work for free. I am agog to hear what you might have to say on the subject.
For Pivos specific support, got to http://www.pivosforums.com
(2014-01-06, 04:39)Scott00007 Wrote: I'd rather you focus on stable, official builds than alpha builds that don't even have a stable build release date. 12.3 is out.....13 is a dream at this point if one wants an official release. With new hardware coming out soon (lol) 13 can be the focus for that but for those of us who have already invested in a Pivos ignoring 12.3 is a little bit of a slap in the face.

I'll repeat something I said in another thread:

Is v12 suddenly shit just because there is v12.3?

What if Team XBMC had decided to not make any bugfix releases this year, then would the XIOS have been any more or less of a good deal?

Do you know that Team XBMC makes release decisions independently of Pivos?

Shouldn't the fact that Pivos decided to spend more time on long term development and support make you feel more secure about investing in an XIOS?

You might not get a v12.3, big whoop (actually, just about anyone can compile a v12.3 with amlogic hardware decoding, and it's not secret at all how to do this). However, in exchange for that, the Pivos can now run official XBMC builds directly from Team XBMC. You'll never have to wait for a v13, v13.1, v13.2, v14, etc. You're telling me that you would rather wait for each release, as long as you got the release, and as long as it came from Pivos? The long term goal was always to strive for a single build that could run on all/most Android boxes, and we now have it, and you're upset just because you won't get v12.3?

what?!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Pivos] "official" support?0