Memory usage is almost entire RAM
I have a brand new late 2012 Mac Mini (specs below) I bought to setup a HTPC. I've only had it for a few days and I installed a few programs (XBMC, Handbrake, and Spotify). Other than that it's stock (haven't saved any files to the computer). I have a Drobo Gen 2 connected via firewire and a printer connected via USB. XBMC seems to run okay, but I noticed the memory usage seemed quite large and my computer seems to struggle when starting up (as compared to my Macbook). Is this normal?

OSX 10.9.1
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
500 GB hard drive

That's total usage of system memory, not "just" XBMC's usage.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-01-09, 00:18)jmarshall Wrote: That's total usage of system memory, not "just" XBMC's usage.

Thank you. Is it normal for a new, fairly stock computer to access that much RAM? Would it benefit me to upgrade to 8, 12, or 16?
There's not really much wrong with it - you have it, so it makes sense for the OS to use it where available, right? As long as it free's up any excess when new requests are made, all good.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-01-09, 00:28)jmarshall Wrote: There's not really much wrong with it - you have it, so it makes sense for the OS to use it where available, right? As long as it free's up any excess when new requests are made, all good.

Thank you for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Memory usage is almost entire RAM0