• 16(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
(2014-01-19, 13:13)lamotia Wrote:
(2014-01-18, 19:45)joelbaby Wrote:
(2014-01-18, 18:38)lamotia Wrote: So, no one has any idea about Android boxes...
Wow, you know how to make friends.

I'm not looking to make new friends, I'm looking for people that have first hand experience with any of the Android boxes that are available on the market currently. So far it's been a 4+ pages thread with only a few posts on the subject. I really don't need replies that state the obvious - Linux box > Android box. I decided that I want an Android box (I have my reasons for that) and I need some feedback on the matter from the community.

Stay away from Matricom........the support is none existent for the MX2.......even more now that they released the Q.
(2015-03-13, 01:32)looun Wrote: So for you, what is The best Android XBMC boxes?

It really depends on what you mean. A Android box? Or a box that runs Android and Kodi? There's really no such thing as a Android XBMC (now Kodi) box.

If you mean the later, a box that will run Android and Kodi, then there are several choices and depending on who you ask you will get a different answer.

The Amazon Fire TV is a good, solid option.

Personally, I would not go with the Nexus Player though, I would wait and see what happens with the Razer Forge TV or Nvidia Shield. Both run Android TV (Lollipop) just like the Nexus Player and not some modified version of Android 4.x like all other Android devices do. The Forge TV will be the same price as the Nexus Player, but also has a ethernet port unlike the NP, but no remote. The Shield will be $199 at release, but comes with a game controller and may (emphasis on MAY) lift some of the limitations that current Android boxes have.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Quote:$35 ODROID-C1 owner here, runs a very stable Android KitKat 4.4.2 + heaps more.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

- 4 core AMlogic S805 / Mali-450 GPU
- Overclockable to 1.78Ghz and stable.
- Rooted already.
- Runs Kodi or SPMC well.
- 24/ 50 / 60Hz refresh rate selectable.
- SPMC or Kodi Isengard supports dynamic Refresh Rate switching on this AMlogic SoC.
- Run any disto. you want. Android, OpenElec , Lubuntu and many more.
- flash a micro SDHC card plug in and boot into Android in about 20 seconds.
- 1080p HEVC decoding.
- Superb 1080i TV deinterlacing
- Actively supported by the manufacturer ODROID / Hardkernel
- HDMI-CEC control, support for this on AMlogic devices coming into Kodi shortly.
- all HDMI issues fixed with new Firmware recently.

Bargain !

just came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbUlnd6tLyc
Tronfy tvbox, is it me or is it running Aeon Nox skin as default on the new firmware?
(2015-05-27, 06:31)iRebel Wrote: just came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbUlnd6tLyc
Tronfy tvbox, is it me or is it running Aeon Nox skin as default on the new firmware?

Yeah, don't even waste your time. I'm not sure what you mean by running Aeon Nox as default, looks like who ever did the vid only added Nox 5 which is not that big of a deal.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-05-27, 06:42)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-05-27, 06:31)iRebel Wrote: just came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbUlnd6tLyc

Yeah, don't even waste your time. I'm not sure what you mean by running Aeon Nox as default, looks like who ever did the vid only added Nox 5 which is not that big of a deal.

No, I mean after flashing this rom my kodi was exactly like this too.
this one : http://downloads.tronfy.com/TRONFY_MX4_c...150514.rar
Which again is not that big of a deal.
I thought everyone's idea is different. That's up to what you need the tv box for exactly. If you want games, that choose tv boxes for games. If you just want to watch the movies through tv box, just go purchase 4k resolution or 1080P resolution...
I'd like beelink ubox more. That's a reasonable price for this device. I'm happy with XBMC/Kodi even if the specs are normal. So i focus on price too. If it's cost effective, that's a good choice in some sense.
(2015-05-27, 13:03)hyperman Wrote: I thought everyone's idea is different. That's up to what you need the tv box for exactly. If you want games, that choose tv boxes for games. If you just want to watch the movies through tv box, just go purchase 4k resolution or 1080P resolution...
I'd like beelink ubox more. That's a reasonable price for this device. I'm happy with XBMC/Kodi even if the specs are normal. So i focus on price too. If it's cost effective, that's a good choice in some sense.

You're right. It depends on your preference and budget too. Most of the devices have similar hardware, such as the Tronfy & Tronsmart devices, and run the same firmware, with the addition of some apps maybe that sets them apart.
AML 812-based Android boxes might suffice for most people to run XBMC / Kodi and play some games.
I'm new this. Have an old MX dual core box. I have an LG 4k tv now and would like to utilize it. So many boxes out there. Many of my friends recommend the MyGica 1800. What I am looking for is basically something that is somewhat futureproof for 4K.

I'd like the best box out there and its main use will be Kodi and nothing else. I am wanting to go HDMI 2.0 in hopes that when 4k blurays are released, there will be an addon developed for Kodi. I see the Nvidia Shield Android is out, but haven't seen too much about it running Kodi as yet. Also seeing the Himedia H8.

This is not my main HT tv and will be using a sound bar for sound. But I still want the best quality available to utilize the 4k quality. What box would be recommended? Again, pardon my ignorance as I am now really getting in to this.

Thanks,
If you do not need Android apps and wanted the best Kodi, HEVC, and 4K experience in a media playback device I would actually direct you away from Android and tell you to wait till June when Intel release their new Skylake microarchitecture that will likely have HDMI 2.0, do 4K easily and have full hardware decode the HEVC codec.

Otherwise have a look at a device with an AMlogic S812 SoC in it.
This chart may help to compare SoC's.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/a...-and-s812/

There is also a AMlogic S905 that should be released sometime soon as well with 4K and HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/27/a...s905-s912/

(2015-02-28, 04:46)Tinwarble Wrote: Not completely true. The remote friendly Netflix app (Netflix ninja) was redesigned for Android TV (the OS) and was first available on the Nexus Player (& in the Google Play Store, but could only be installed on Android TV devices). Later it was added to the Amazon appstore for the AFTV.

Is there a way to install this remote-friendly Netflix app on those ubiquitous Android TV boxes/sticks? I have a couple of those boxes, and the Netflix app from the Google store is really difficult to use without a mouse or a touchscreen.
If you can flash them with Android TV, then yes. There's a few of them that are working with Android TV roms, I think.
Though the Netflix app on most of these boxes will only show you SD 480p content won't it? You only get 1080p (and I think 720p) on approved Android devices like the Fire TV and the nVidia Shield?
I haven't tried it, but I'm under the impression that they would have 1080 Netflix.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2