• 19(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
Can someone please, list the BSET latest kodi/xbmc boxes available please? Factors like 4k play and software support are the most important ones for me. I'm OK with prices below $200. Not looking for game consoles like NVIDIA shield. I live in Canada.Thanks.
There are a bunch of devices that currently do 4K / h264 video, like Intel NUC's / Chromeboxes, but 4K HEVC is where the future lies:

Devices that can Hardware decode 4K HEVC at up to 30Hz video output and have good support to run Kodi well:
- MINIX Neo X8H Plus (No HD for paid streaming services)
- Intel Braswell NUC's
- The upcoming WeTek Core 4K (Has HD for paid streaming services + Dual Boot Android / OpenELEC)

NOTE: The Amazon Fire TV2 is excluded as it has too many limitations when running Kodi. Plus Amazon have a habit of protecting their own turf by yanking the Kodi app from their store and recently - Apple TV's and Chromecasts. I also doubt the Android / Kodi devs will even modify Kodi so that it can run properly on the Amazon FireTV2 due to Amazon's past behaviour and attitude to legal Open Source software.

To get over the 4K / 30Hz video output limitation you need HDMI 2.0. The only device that currently has that is the NVIDIA Shield. Most 4K movies output at 23.976fps/24Hz. TV Broadcasts looking quite a way into the future in some parts off the world will be 50/60Hz 4K HEVC, but by then it will Hardware upgrade time again anyways.

Read this post:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2123495

(2015-10-07, 02:35)Shahesam84 Wrote: Can someone please, list the BSET latest kodi/xbmc boxes available please? Factors like 4k play and software support are the most important ones for me. I'm OK with prices below $200. Not looking for game consoles like NVIDIA shield. I live in Canada.Thanks.

The Shield is just an Android TV box not a game console, it's just game oriented because it comes with a game controller and has an added row on the Android TV home screen for games.

It also comes with a built in IR receiver so that it can be controlled by a Harmony remote. It's basically a bigger, better Nexus Player.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-10-07, 12:43)Tinwarble Wrote: The Shield is just an Android TV box not a game console, it's just game oriented because it comes with a game controller and has an added row on the Android TV home screen for games.

Err... The Tegra X1 inside allows to run Unreal Engine games, which makes it a quite decent game console imo
(2015-10-07, 12:54)Koying Wrote:
(2015-10-07, 12:43)Tinwarble Wrote: The Shield is just an Android TV box not a game console, it's just game oriented because it comes with a game controller and has an added row on the Android TV home screen for games.

Err... The Tegra X1 inside allows to run Unreal Engine games, which makes it a quite decent game console imo

Being being able to play games and being a game console are not really the same thing. But that's not really what I meant, because at the end of the day it's still just a Android TV device that's game oriented. Which, IMO, makes it much more that just a "game console".
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hey guys, I've been running Kodi 15 for a few weeks now on my current WMC HTPC and really like it. I'm planning to buy new hardware soon for a better Kodi setup. My eyes have been set on getting a Beebox and running OpenELEC, but I've been looking more at the nVidia Shield. At first I wrote off Android and didn't look at it much, but the Shield is about the same as what I'd spend on the BeeBox, plus my 6 year old would love the games he could play on it. It also intrigues me that I can stream PC games if I upgrade my graphics card (since I don't want to sink money on a PS4 or Xbox)

My question being, are there any drawbacks to the Sheild/Android I should be aware of, over the Beebox? It see that HD audio is a WIP, but at the current time I don't have a good sound setup anyway so I'm not terribly worried. I'm interested in getting a fairly "future proof" system but I don't have a 4k TV as of now either. Also with the Sheild only being $200, I'm not opposed to buying the next generation one or better hardware in 2-3 years.

Also, can it use most remotes on the market? I have a MCE remote now, but was looking at buying the Rii i25 maybe or an Xbox One Media remote. I don't think the Shield remote looks compelling enough to buy.
Delete this please.
(2015-10-07, 05:16)wrxtasy Wrote: There are a bunch of devices that currently do 4K / h264 video, like Intel NUC's / Chromeboxes, but 4K HEVC is where the future lies:

Devices that can Hardware decode 4K HEVC at up to 30Hz video output and have good support to run Kodi well:
- MINIX Neo X8H Plus (No HD for paid streaming services)
- Intel Braswell NUC's
- The upcoming WeTek Core 4K (Has HD for paid streaming services + Dual Boot Android / OpenELEC)

NOTE: The Amazon Fire TV2 is excluded as it has too many limitations when running Kodi. Plus Amazon have a habit of protecting their own turf by yanking the Kodi app from their store and recently - Apple TV's and Chromecasts. I also doubt the Android / Kodi devs will even modify Kodi so that it can run properly on the Amazon FireTV2 due to Amazon's past behaviour and attitude to legal Open Source software.

To get over the 4K / 30Hz video output limitation you need HDMI 2.0. The only device that currently has that is the NVIDIA Shield. Most 4K movies output at 23.976fps/24Hz. TV Broadcasts looking quite a way into the future in some parts off the world will be 50/60Hz 4K HEVC, but by then it will Hardware upgrade time again anyways.

Read this post:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2123495

Thanks mate for your answer. Although I'm still not sure which one to choose. Once, I've got Neo X8H plus but it's too much hardware for a living room HTI. Intel Braswell NUC's looks like a mini PC again. The only thing I may want to search more is WeTek Core 4K, if it handles real 4K signals. At the moment, I use RPi2 but soon I need a 4K media streamer.
I would highly consider the nVidia Shield TV unit. Its Android based and blows anything away at its current price point. $200 gets you the unit with a game pad and $250 gets you an additional (fancy) remote.

I currently have the Acer Revo 3700 (duel core intel ion CPU) and runs great but stutters on h265 content. My next upgrade will be to the nvidia shield, whenever that is....

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv
Hi,
Do you know if the following Android TV box is supported with Kodi 15.2 Isengard ?
Andoer MXIII-G Android 5.1 TV Box Amlogic S812 Quad Core Cortex-A9 2G Ram DDR3 / 8G Rom, GPU Mali450MP

None of my personal 720p or 1080p video are running.
Kodi tries to launch and then it crashed :
- Mouse cursor is freezed,
- No bluetooth keyboard available,
- No remote control available,
- Hardware button on TV Box is not available, needs to unplug the power and restart the TV Box.

I tried to go modify the TV box system setup in order to activate alternative HW codec and/or HW+ codec with no success.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
(2015-10-23, 11:32)titi91 Wrote: Hi,
Do you know if the following Android TV box is supported with Kodi 15.2 Isengard ?
Andoer MXIII-G Android 5.1 TV Box Amlogic S812 Quad Core Cortex-A9 2G Ram DDR3 / 8G Rom, GPU Mali450MP
I have the same Box with Isenguard. I run Videos stored on Network Server as well as Streams. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned. The device supports Bluetooth devices but you'd have to buy keyboards and suchlike. Mine did come with a remote.
Hi,
The issue was due to wrong parameters.
I needed Digital Audio Passthrough setup correctly with AC3 and DTS selected : my TV box is connected via a HDMI amplifier. Without this setup, Kodi always crashed.
I needed also to downgrade to Kodi 15.0.
Now, it is working fine either with 720p or 1080p video, either with AC3 or DTS MKV audio sources.

Kind regards.
Hi everybody,
I need to remplace my minix H8 Plus
What you choose between Wetek Core vs Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos ?
Thanks
That's an easy one... WeTek Core Smile. I have both.

Only benefit to S95 is VidOn, a ripped-off Kodi fork if you care about 3D (only half-rez output from all types of 3D) & HD audio (with issues). No 23.976. Stuck w/thief VidOn for support; getting into bed w/them is like walking into a drug kinpin's resort hideout w/your fingers crossed.

Core on the other hand does perfect 23.976, and HD audio decoding will be added soon (I already have the patch) + is better supported + gives you Android & OpenELEC options. Also, 3D support (partially working now) should come soon. Also, Core isn't ripping off Kodi, and is instead contributing. wrxtasy has made a convert out of me Wink.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thx
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2