Naming Movies and TV Shows
Hey,

I was just wondering what XBMC looks for in a file name.

I have read the wiki and other information but it seems quite vague and basic.

TV i have like this:
- Show
-- Season 01
---- Show - S01E01 - [720p BluRay].mkv

Movies i have like this:
- Movie (2013)
-- Movie (2013) - [720p BluRay].mkv

I was wondering what works for you guys.

Also does XBMC look for an IMDB id in filename ?

If so could i use:
- Movie (2013)
-- Movie (2013) - [720p BluRay] - [tt0123456].mkv

So basically what i'm asking is whats the BEST file naming method. What does XBMC look for and use and what does it ignore.

Thank-you.
An example of My TV shows

-Show
-- Show - 1x01 - title.mkv
I've never had an issue with this, however season folders are also common.

For movies I have
-Movie (date)
--whateverisdefault.mkv
I use the option 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' meaning it searches with the name of the folder rather than the file name itself. not as nice looking as the tv shows, but meh.
XBMC looks for matches from the meta-database that the scraper finds. Movie (date) , or TV Show, Season & Episode expressed as numerals listed at http://thetvdb.com. Extras like the resolution & database number in the title can inhibit a solid scrape, even though this data is generally inside the .nfo and can be useful for manual scrapes in cases where 'odd' chr$ or naming issues can prevent the target scrape. After the scrape, some skins will show the resolution, and for all purposes the tt database number isn't universal and would depend on the scraper chosen.
I'm pretty much in line with Atomic Zombie:

Videos
---TV Shows
------Series
---------Season
------------SeriesName - 1x01 - EpisodeName.ext
---Films
------SetorMovieName
---------FilmAsNamedInIMDB [year].ext

I have the odd problem with movie names, which are quickly resolved by searching using the IMDB reference (not in the name as you suggest, but manually entered as needed), but not many. Checking imdb.com/themoviedb.com or thetvdb.com beforehand to get the name right solves a multitude of sins.
Every show I put in I ALWAYS check thetvdb.com

It's just less headache then having to change it and remove the wrong entry later.
I hate to be a shill for the program theRenamer but it does that for you and more. Doesn't require Java nor those extras the program wants to install.
(2014-01-13, 17:30)PatK Wrote: I hate to be a shill for the program theRenamer but it does that for you and more.

As does filebot.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-13, 23:11)nickr Wrote:
(2014-01-13, 17:30)PatK Wrote: I hate to be a shill for the program theRenamer but it does that for you and more.

As does filebot.

Which is the best? I've been using theRenamer for a LONG time. I'd never even thought to look for other programs. How does Filebot compare? I found movie renaming to be a little odd with theRenamer.
Like you, never used the other. If you want to get a feel for filebot the documentation is basically YouTube videos. I run linux, dunno if renamer works on linux. I run it on the server with the display on my laptop.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I just trusted you and downlaoded it immediately lol. Figured you wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't good. It's better than therenamer by a landslide. This has just sped up my renaming process. I had about 30 animes or so I just had got that I wasn't going to bother renaming because it was taking so long and I was just lazy. Did most of it just now.

Have to try it with movies next but it works VERY well I'm really happy lol.
Cheers, glad to help.
I find SickBeard to be a good renamer. It also tells you what your missing. (It does other things as well, that should not be discussed.) But it can just be setup as a catalogue/renaming program.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Naming Movies and TV Shows0