localhost works but IP doesn't
Hi I am Trying to ust the PVR functionality with the myth pligin.

I have set up the cards ( Hauppauge PVR-500 ) and everything works! (finally Smile) I have it working in myth frontend.

In the XBMC plugin when I use " localhost " it works , however when I change it to the IP address of the computer it gives me a " cannot connect to myth backend error"

I have checked to make sure i am using the correct IP address and that I have the same IP address in the backend setup under general settings for both the local and master backend options.

I have the log file here:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=112415

I feel like it is an permissions problem but I am not very good at interpreting the logs, any help would be appreciated.

I have also tried using a different computer but it has the same result ( although I havn't recorded a log file )

Thanks Again
anybody?, any ideas on were to start?. Everything works fine with local host but as soon as I put in the IP address it stops working the log file says " can't connect to Mythtv database @ "my IP address" with user.
This is usually a mysql setup issue.

I'll try and post a fix when I am home this evening and able to access a working setup.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-19, 00:25)Nieboy Wrote: In the XBMC plugin when I use " localhost " it works , however when I change it to the IP address of the computer it gives me a " cannot connect to myth backend error"

I have checked to make sure i am using the correct IP address and that I have the same IP address in the backend setup under general settings for both the local and master backend options.

Two things spring to mind:
1. You may need to tell mysql to allow access from external ip addresses. IIRC it is the bind-address setting in my.cnf
2. You may need to setup the mysql user (root if I read your log correct) for external access. Something like:
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

The % tells mysql that this user (root) may access from any ip-address which is normally ok in a home environment. You can also replace the % with a specific ip-address.

Hope this helps
/D
sweet ok.... so I opened up my.cnf file to look for something to do with IIRC or privleges.....snd I found this near the very top of the file, it seems like mysql is only allowing connections from local host?:

skip-external-locking
#
# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
#

dodoadoodoo.... can I just change "127.0.0.1" to IIRC? to make it listen to all conections? ( I'm going to try this anyways but I figured I would get a jump on it if I have to modify the file in any other way).....update...nope Smile

Thanks for responding , I am not the most knowlegble about how everything fits together but I follow directions really well and have a basic understanding of how to do things with the terminal. Sorry If you need to dumb your answers down for me Smile

nickr... if there is any more info you need from me regarding mysql setup jsut let me know

here is my..... my.cnf file if that helps;

http://pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=LkyfyReV
Try
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common

The second will change your mythtv password. I set the password to mythtv as I can never remember the random one the setup program generates.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-21, 19:26)Nieboy Wrote: # Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
#

dodoadoodoo.... can I just change "127.0.0.1" to IIRC? to make it listen to all conections? ( I'm going to try this anyways but I figured I would get a jump on it if I have to modify the file in any other way).....update...nope Smile

Try setting it to 192.168.1.172, if that is the external ip address of the computer you are running mysql on. Like this:

Code:
bind-address = 192.168.1.172

/D
thanks for your help.

I narrowed it down to a problem with the client I was using.

I reconfigured mysql then changed the myth plugin in xbmc to use the actual ip address of the machine....bam...it worked! but my remote machine upstairs still would't connect. I am using a PIVOS with linux intead of android so i figured maybe it had some sort of issue.
i switched it out to my HTPC that I was originally using anyways and BAM! again...it works like a charm. thanks for your help.

sorry to hijack my own thread but although it is working i now have another slightly annoying problem.

there is a signifigant pixelization and audio spike happening. I have boosted the signal just in case, figuring it ws a good idea anyways, but no improvement.

i opened mythtv front end and everythhing i great in there; no pixelization or audio spikes whatsoever.

i have also enabled frame sync in xbmc playback as suggested somewhere in google Wink. but no improvement

any ideas were to go from here? or is it a known problem with the plugin?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
localhost works but IP doesn't0