Android How come NFS works on Android? Is it possible to share access with other apps?
Question 
Hello,
I've recently tried out XBMC 13 monthly on an android tablet (decoding and network buffering works great, btw, now if only ordered chapters in MKV worked...). I was wondering how come that XBMC can easily browse an NFS share, when I made no modifications to the tablet's system - there's no nfs support in the kernel, or modules, and the system isn't even rooted!
Is there a way to share this access to other apps, or is this just some standalone NFS implementation that makes the share available only to the app implementing it? I didn't see any new mount points appear when XBMC was connected to NFS, so I'm guessing it's the latter.

Inquiring minds want to know. Wink
Probably via libnfs.
same way we do samba Smile vfs (virtual file system) we don't need no stinken mounts, bruhahahaha
(2014-01-20, 17:59)davilla Wrote: same way we do samba Smile vfs (virtual file system) we don't need no stinken mounts, bruhahahaha

Thanks, though I'm not sure what "VFS" you are referring to. AFAICT in kernel terminology, VFS is the single filesystem tree where everything is mounted into, which is exactly what xbmc does NOT do.

Either way, does this imply what I suspected - that other apps are unable to access the NFS share through XBMC?
(2014-01-22, 14:58)mjKiD Wrote: Either way, does this imply what I suspected - that other apps are unable to access the NFS share through XBMC?
Right. We skip the "mount point" step.
xbmc contains code to do it's own internal virtual file system.
Right, that explains it. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How come NFS works on Android? Is it possible to share access with other apps?0