Search feature has some issues
uNiversal:

I don't mean to be an ass but you're annoying me.
This is a VERY easily recreated issue.

It's posted on the bug tracker, I think it's extremely unlikely it will be ignored purely because it's extremely easily recreatable and quite simple.
I've posted enough, you could summarise (this simple) bug in a sentence.

Thanks.
I dont mean to be annoying, you do whatever you like however you like it, just dont complain after if it gets closed because it doesnt have enough information. Not all issues are reproducible as not everyone uses same skin, os, hw and the likes.

Bugs can be platform dependant or not, can be os dependant or not and can be skin dependant or if not then its reproducible on all platforms across all os's.

Anyway, good luck to you and your report.
I provided platform information, I've confirmed it occurs across multiple versions of the program (for over a year) and it's literally easily recreated in less than 90 seconds. No one in the development team is going to ignore the bug.
I dont think it is a bug. strict search works on both ways so its kinda expected.
What happens if you search on ocean's. ?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you search with the ' I believe it works.
So it works as expected?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
TO me yes, it works just fine considering there is nothing named oceans but rather ocean's. I suppose this is a user expectation issue and not a real bug imo.
Maybe some fuzziness could be introduced in the search?
Don't know much c++ at all, prefer straight C, but I imagine coding 'fuzziness' would require much more work than the search presently does.

For instance, you would have to iterate over the entire search string for punctuation, remove said punctuation and then search on the resultant string.

Personally, I feel that if a movie is called 'Ocean's 11' then you should search for 'Ocean's' which is a different string (programming wise) from 'Oceans'. Besides, a search for "11" would probably produce the right movie and it's shorter to type in !!

Maybe the search could do with some refining but this isn't a bug in my view. It's doing what it is designed to do.

GIGO
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Fuzzy search is pretty commonplace so there should be some open source libraries. But yes, I agree it is not a bug for the search not to be fuzzy.
It's a very precise search, I just did some testing against the following two movies.
(Actual DB name) "Ocean's Eleven" and "Shoot 'em Up"

I can find the movies through the following commands.
Quote:Ocean
Ocean's
's Eleven
Eleven
Shoot
Shoot 'em
em up
'em up
etc

I agree it's not a bug per-se, hence the title saying 'issues' for this thread.
It would be nice if punctuation for a movie title was simply omitted somehow for a search. I'm not sure how other databases handle this and deal with fuzzyness but as it is, yes it's exactly precise but can be frustrating.
Actually it should be pretty easy to use a regex in the code to disregard any particular set of characters. Beyond me, but conceptually easy. We could have yet another damn setting for the characters to ignore.
So it is possible then?
Any developers want to chime in? I'd like to help contribute to XBMC I'd like to see this as a bulletpoint on the roadmap page for 14 TBH. This program is great but it can always be better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Search feature has some issues0