Please help with DTS
I am currently streaming video/audio from my AVR (located in the living room) through an HDMI cable running inwall to my second TV in the bedroom. Problem is, I don't have (or need) a second set of 5.1 speakers for the bedroom TV and I rely on the TV speakers to stream audio. The problem is that my TV does not seem to handle DTS streams, so I can see the picture but have no sound coming from the TV speakers on movies that offer DTS audio streams only. I'd have thought that the TV would be able to downsample DTS and DTS/HD MA signals to Dolby Digital stereo but apparently this isn't the case.

I'd like to ask if there's a setting or anything else I can do (apart from invest in another set of 5.1 speakers or sound bar) for my second TV in order to be able to down convert DTS signals through my TV speakers.

My setup follows:
AVR: Sony STR-DA5400ES
Bedroom TV: Sony KDL-40W905A
PC Media Center: Mac Mini 2012 running Windows 8, XBMC 12.3

Cabling connections (all HDMI):
PC->AVR->TV (HDMI Input 1 ARC).

Any help would be appreciated; thanks for your time.
It is not an ideal setup. You want to make sure that HDMI TV Audio is set to ON or Auto in AVR, then try the settings below when watching movie in the bedroom. To me, it is too complicated. You'll have to make changes all the time....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I agree with Bluray, your setup is not ideal at all because you are feeding 2 different TVs from the same AVR and the same installation of XBMC, if we are understanding you correctly.

And if that's the case, you WILL need to turn off support for DTS in the XBMC audio settings as shown in the image posted by Bluray above. But then you compromise your viewing on the main TV where DTS is actually supported.

There is no way cater for both scenarios from one instance of XBMC connected to one AVR, like you have.

What you actually need is a separate HTPC running a separate instance of XBMC, in the bedroom, with the 2nd TV.
Each TV needs an XBMC box. Thats the simple truth.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Or just use profiles (wiki) for the two different audio settings. They can even use the same library.
Yep, you understood my setup perfectly. Thank you all for your answers. I'll have a look at profiles, this was something that I didn't even know it existed in XBMC! Otherwise, I guess I'll have to invest in a basic PC or Raspberry Pi to act as a secondary media player for my bedroom TV. Thanks again all.
Profiles will only work if you only want to watch on one TV at a time (I mean I know you only have one pair of eyes, but maybe you want to watch in the bedroom and the teenagers want to sit in the lounge?)

On second thoughts that's dumb. The teenagers, by definition want to watch crap in the lounge while you watch deep meaningful cerebral drama in the bedroom. Like I said, get another XBMC box. Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help with DTS0