Req Chromecast SDK now open to developers!
GO GO GO! If not a version of XBMC on the stick, then let us stream to our televisions from our devices! Big Grin

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/chr...opers.html
From a quick glance it looks like there are only APIs for android, iOS and Chrome.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
"The sender may be a phone or tablet running on Android or iOS, or it may be a laptop computer running Chrome OS, Mac OS, or Windows." But I only see android, iOS and Chrome SDK downloads. Someone at google need a poke with a trout.
There is no API open for creating a receiver device. The receiver API is for customizing chromecast video player.
From an Engadget post

Quote:If a developer decides to create a "custom receiver application" (rather than use the pre-built one provided by Google), they can put any standard web technologies on the big screen.

I would love to have all my XBMC's to be chromecasts recievers
(2014-02-03, 22:15)davilla Wrote: "The sender may be a phone or tablet running on Android or iOS, or it may be a laptop computer running Chrome OS, Mac OS, or Windows." But I only see android, iOS and Chrome SDK downloads. Someone at google need a poke with a trout.
I don't think they forgot to put that up, it's just that you can't write a "native" application only one integrated into Chrome as an extension.

(2014-02-04, 02:48)WhiteWidow Wrote: From an Engadget post

Quote:If a developer decides to create a "custom receiver application" (rather than use the pre-built one provided by Google), they can put any standard web technologies on the big screen.

I would love to have all my XBMC's to be chromecasts recievers
Unfortunately that's not possible with the published SDK. All you can do is write HTML5/Javascript stuff to make the receiver look like your own app with your own logo etc.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
According to the discussions here it does not sound like Google's Chromecast SDK is GPL compatible?

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...Chromecast

If it is not GPL compatible then XBMC can not use Google's Chromecast SDK

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/chromecast_sdk/
Quote:Google has in the past blocked access to apps it didn't like, such as AllCast and Fling. In each of those cases, the developers had reverse engineered the Chromecast APIs to allow direct streaming of media from devices on the local network. That's a no-no, because Google sees Chromecast as tool for streaming from internet sources, not users' own pirated content home movies.

Under the new SDK's terms and conditions, such reverse engineering is explicitly forbidden, and there are a number of other rules besides. But even if you follow all of the rules, Google could still boot your app if it breaks some rule it hasn't thought of yet.
I am surprised there is not a lot of interest in the ability to send XBMC content from a handheld device to a Chromecast, this would eliminate the need for a HTPC connected to the television. And yes I've tried the Avia hack floating around and it's not really the solution. I would be willing to take a look at the SDK, but would rather not waste my time if there are impenetrable roadblocks such as the GPL licensing. I know of the limited codec support would also pose some issues.
(2014-02-05, 00:04)IdivideBy0 Wrote: I am surprised there is not a lot of interest in the ability to send XBMC content from a handheld device to a Chromecast, this would eliminate the need for a HTPC connected to the television. And yes I've tried the Avia hack floating around and it's not really the solution. I would be willing to take a look at the SDK, but would rather not waste my time if there are impenetrable roadblocks such as the GPL licensing. I know of the limited codec support would also pose some issues.

You got responses from two devs, that's two more than in a lot of other feature request threads. But all interest is of no use if the published API is so limited.
Maybe I'm missing something, but what if anything does Chromecast offer that UPnP doesn't? Play using to a UPnP target is possible with XBMC, the only thing that limits this currently is that for now XBMC can't transcode, so the UPnP target must support the file type.
given that the communication seems to run over google servers (according to wikipedia) I'm against chromecast support. Use UPNP instead which gives you all the freedom you need and privacy on top of it. The only interesting part IMO is that multiple devices can change the playlist of a chromecast stick, no idea if UPNP has support for this kind of stuff.
(2014-02-05, 13:20)jjd-uk Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but what if anything does Chromecast offer that UPnP doesn't? Play using to a UPnP target is possible with XBMC, the only thing that limits this currently is that for now XBMC can't transcode, so the UPnP target must support the file type.

Yes you are. Some people would like the ability to just use a Chromecast instead of setting up a HTPC running XBMC. Your solution using UPnP requires either a Smart TV, or another device capable of rendering to the TV.
(2014-02-05, 18:21)IdivideBy0 Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 13:20)jjd-uk Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but what if anything does Chromecast offer that UPnP doesn't? Play using to a UPnP target is possible with XBMC, the only thing that limits this currently is that for now XBMC can't transcode, so the UPnP target must support the file type.

Yes you are. Some people would like the ability to just use a Chromecast instead of setting up a HTPC running XBMC. Your solution using UPnP requires either a Smart TV, or another device capable of rendering to the TV.

Sorry but still don't see the point of Chromecast, any cheap Android dongle will give you the same abilities via UPnP and be able to run apps on the dongle itself, the only thing UPnP won't do is mirroring.
IMO, one advantage Chromecast has is that it's a known quantity and very cheap and popular. Android, on the other hand, is a jungle with several different chipsets and an element of luck. At least that's been my experience.

Personally I'd like to see one of the XBMC smartphone remote control apps (like Yatse) add the "send to Chromecast" support. Seems like it could be implemented in a familiar XBMC-like way, but without any XBMC code changes.
(2014-02-05, 19:04)awp0 Wrote: IMO, one advantage Chromecast has is that it's a known quantity and very cheap and popular. Android, on the other hand, is a jungle with several different chipsets and an element of luck. At least that's been my experience.

Personally I'd like to see one of the XBMC smartphone remote control apps (like Yatse) add the "send to Chromecast" support. Seems like it could be implemented in a familiar XBMC-like way, but without any XBMC code changes.

Freezy, our Android remote dev, is interested in exploring that option: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1571611

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromecast SDK now open to developers!0