Raspberry Pi only faster!!
(2014-02-07, 22:10)spcano01 Wrote: Not too many people are talking about this, but I bought 2 XUs *$169* and just 1 U3 *$59* from Odroid XU Lite and U3! The XU is amazing, very fast android or linux *i love android*, you can do emulation, Aereo *with FakeGPS* for local, XBMC HW, and everything else normal android can do.

Great customer service, price, and a growing community. The U3 is basically a SGIII, and the XU is basically a SG4.

Hi,

Have you got XBMC running on any of your devices & if yes, what version of XBMC please?

Thanks
Calisto
I will have a look at the NUC and Brix but they would have to be pretty good for the price.

The Ouya doesn't have infrared as far as I can see.

Thanks xbs08 I'll give those a try. I have tried a USB 3.0 but I didn't see any difference over the SD Card I was using.

I've bought various USB sticks, USB hdd and a Sandisk 95MB/s Micro SD to try and make it quicker. My main problem speed wise is you can't watch anything while copying files to the attached storage but I don't think I'll ever be able to fix that due to it being a problem with the hardware.
This guy is working on an Intel based box for around $150, it will have HDMI-CEC and IR power on/off.

So far its the most promising in checking all the boxes if he can deliver.

The most stable of the Arm boxes (aside from the R-Pi) are Amlogic based boxes but the Amlogic are only a modest step up from the R-Pi. The Pivos XIOS with it's linux XBMC firmware is the best of the Amlogic single core M3 units (XBMC runs at 30fps & but perfectly usable), there is a dual core M6/MX available from other vendors. Amlogic's much faster next gen M8 line is due later this year which is ideally what your looking for, they've bumped the CPU to quad core and GPU to an 8 core unit.
That gigabyte Brix looks awesome!!!
Unfortunately there are no x86 systems under $100 that are going to do what you want. The only other option is arm which can either run Linux or Android. The best bang for your buck in your price range is the mk809iv; a quad core hdmi stick that under the nightly builds supports hardware acceleration and can pull off 1080p.
... But without network-lan. 😕
Over on the Rasplex website they are indicating that they will soon turn their attention towards the Cubox-i. My suspicion, the RPI was the novelty at the time with perceived potential but in reality and for me the UI is frustratingly slow and so the focus is moving to better hardware.
I just build a completely passiv HTPC based on the C1037U cpu: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186932

For me it is perfect right now. Completely silent, powerfull enough for every skin and able to play everything I want (1080p, 3D, ...). And all this for 200€.
I think the replacement most similar to a Pi is a Wandboard or Cubox-i. Both can run OpenElec.
I have a k-r42 bought from geekbuying.com and it works very well. I have played with the different firmwares they have on freaktab.com for this device and an old alpha 8 October 29th of gotham and it runs very well. The newest firmwares or gotham alpha 12 February 18th don't seem to run 1080p video smoothly...trying to figure out which is the issue. They run android. Very happy with the performance for ~$80 usd. These are quad core rk3188 with 2GB RAM and 8GB HDD.
@spcano01 odroid-xu Smile yes

I'm running Linux, as is my webserver and fileserver as well. Silent, low power, always on, I've connected a motion sensor and temperature sensor as well (like on the pi).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUorE09cC-4

It has no audiopassthrough though (maybe with USB audio card), so that can be a showstopper for many.

@calisto: both Frodo and Gotham is working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi only faster!!0