Completely passiv HTPC
I wanted to try something new Smile After years with my Intel Atom based HTPC and some fans in the case I wanted a complete silent but powerful enough HTPC. So right now this is what I assembled:
  • Motherboard/CPU: GA-C1037UN-EU: Gigabyte motherboard with passiv dual core Celeron 1,8 Ghz and Intel HD Graphics (80€)
  • Memory: 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/2G PC3-1333 (20€)
  • Harddrive: 32 GB ADATA SSD (30€)
  • Case: E-I5 (60€)

Besides that I already had a Hama remote and I also use the Pulse Eight CEC USB adapter. The system is capable to play everything I want (1080p, 3D, ... ) and I can use heavy skins like Aeon or Arctic. I know that it still has the 24p bug but lucky me I don't see it Smile

The case gets warm but the CPU stays between 60 and 80 degrees so I guess I don't need a case fan (but I will monitor it the next days).

Right now I'm quite happy with it because it is powerful enough but I don't hear it Smile
Here are some pictures of my setup. I replaced the standard PSU with a 90W PicoPSU I already had:

watch gallery
When you build a completely passive PC, passive case is recommended. The passive heatsink is included with the case covers so that the heat can easily dissipated. Streacom is famous for passive case- Streacom....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@bluray: yeah, but with my setup the system does not get too hot. The CPU stays below 80° C so right now I'm quite happy with it.
Nice, as long the temperature stays below 80 I see no issue. How much load do you have on the CPU. Would the temperature increase if you put continuous load of 50% on the CPU. That's the use case for a PVR system and having deinterlacing done by the CPU (1080i)
That's a beautiful case, I hope that the temps are holding up fine Smile
I will try it within the next days because normally I don't use XBMC for PVR.
(2014-02-23, 18:55)dnuc Wrote: @bluray: yeah, but with my setup the system does not get too hot. The CPU stays below 80° C so right now I'm quite happy with it.
Try stress it with Handbrake, and if the temp can holdup okay, I would say it is okay then....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I used the program 'stress' for linux to put 100% load to the CPU for 30 minutes:

The temperature only reached 70 degrees:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +70.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +69.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +69.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completely passiv HTPC0