Going for a fanless system, but where to start?
Currently I own a Zotac AD02 and it still works perfect except that the noise becomes frustrating lately.
So I wanted to build a fan-less system which doesn't need to be high end.
I have read a few threads like this one Futureproof Fanless (€ 541) & Cheap NUC (€227) and also saw lots of topics about NUC's
But then I found a concerning post, for me anyway, that someone tested a Baytrail NUC and the LiveTV performance didn't sound good in my eyes.

Currently I'm capable to watch LiveTV in SD format but my feature system should be able to or have:
- play 1080i/1080p without problems
- support True HD audio
- play True 3D if possible (depending on the price tag)
- powered on and off using remote and not only in sleep mode like my AD02 currently does.
- suitable for (simple) gameplay, (Windows 8 will be the OS)
- SPDIF out since my current receiver doesn't have HDMI yet, will be the next device on the list to be replaced.
- and most off all it should be fanless since I'm getting annoyed by the sound the AD02 produces now.

So with above requirements I started searching and reading but there is so much information available that I'm lost where to start setting a baseline for the rest of the hardware.
Hey schumi, gij ok hier jonguh het HW gedeelte? Ever heard of the Giada 300?
Gonna buy myself one for testing I guess, don't think I can resist now its available for us Dutchies. Tongue
Or maybe I stick by my original plan and still go with a Giada i57B. So many good alternatives out there, besides the NUC's I mean.......

Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Hi p750mmx,

Never heard about Giada 300 before and don't think that is going to be my next system (although the specs seem to be good).
Also for the money I think we can something more stylish (don't really like the design and connection positions) and maybe better hardware?
Thanks for mentioning it anyway Wink

For now I think I'll try to keep up with Kib's fanless mini-itx build (mainly the board: Zotac H87-itx).
You can't expect team members and core developers picking crappy hardware so it must be a good basis Smile
I was hoping I could reduce the price a bit but that's for later.
Giada is a big player on the HW market, they make A quality hardware. If you wanna place a HTPC in the line of sight then there will be much more nicer looking alternatives, I agree. I put those items behind my TV, so the uglyness doesn't bother me Wink
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
I've used the Giada D2500/D2550 GT610 motherboard for dozens of barebones now. They're great as long as you don't expect a fancy manual and website.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going for a fanless system, but where to start?0