RPI keeps restarting on it's own
Hello
I am very new to the Rpi.
I am running openelec on Rpi(B) with xbmc.
The problem is, the rpi restarts itself every few minutes whether I'm watching something or not.
The 'working' icon is revolving much slower than it did yesterday for some reason. I have switched usb adaptors to see if that was the problem but it still restarts itself. Any help would be appreciated.
thank you
Most certainly power supply issue (very common), see:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#R...booting_up
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems

Could also be to high overclock, but if reducing OC helps it probably still is power supply (unless you have extreme OC set).
I have no overclocking. I'm a complete beginner.
I don't believe it's a power issue as everything was working fine last night and for weeks prior. One thing I did was change the region to my location in the settings, but I don't think that's the culprit.
I have now tried to power the rpi with a usb from my tv....still crashes.
I never had any issues before today!?
Powering of the TV is a very good way to get an unstable setup as it most of the time provide insufficient power.
Believe it or not, but I say it still most certainly is a power issue, and as it is the most common problem there is no reason debugging anything else until you have either confirmed or ruled it out. And, what you are explaining points to it even more.
ok thank you. It's boggling because the problem started just today! I will see what I can do to get better power.
Any ideas why the 'working' icon in the lower right corner of the screen has slowed to a crawl.
No, could be anything really.
As I said, ruling out or confirming a power issue with such behavior is always first step unless one have other info pointing to something else.
But you could always try a fresh install and see if it helps, however reboots (and slowdowns, network issues, freezes, weird behavior in general etc.) is a typical power problem so even if it does help you might want to check it properly anyway so it won´t start happening again.

Edit: One important thing that I often forget to ask: Is it reboots or crashes (where XBMC restarts) we are talking about here? Because if its not reboots it could certainly be something with XBMC and a debug log might show something.
would a 5.25v 2A usb adaptor would be better?
I was also thinking of powering my rpi via usb from my pc...I would also need a longer hdmi cable as my pc is about 15' away from my tv.
It´s difficult to know as many chargers (which is most common) can drop a lot in voltage.
But sure, it does look good so you should try it, but the only proper way to confirm is to actually measure the voltage under load.
If you have another USB cable you could try that too as it can cause problems as well.

But as I said in my last post, it is a difference between reboots and crashes/restart. The later can still be a PSU problem, but just as well something else and a debug log might show something.
Thanks miappa
I haven't had any crashes since I went back to the original adaptor (gave me no problems for weeks) but a new issue has arisen. Whenever I press the back button to go to a previous menu, it takes me to the home page instead?
I'm not sure what's going on but this this is acting really buggy!
I said I was very new at this and I wasn't kidding, how do I create a debug log to have someone look at?
See here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file
I tried to download the XBMC Log Uploader as per your instructions, but it won't install!
I tried several times to install it, but the progress never made it past 0% then quits every time.
Another thing I noticed which maybe has no significance , is my background changed from a steel iron work grey type background to blue bubbles? Again, all these issues started today.
The problem is... that many things can cause this type of problem.
Initially it could still be PSU but (later?) also corruption, permissions, bad or corrupted SD, bad SD connection, improper shutdowns etc.
You could try to delete the .xbmc directory and reboot, note that this will reset all user settings and libraries etc.
Other than that I can only suggest a fresh install, but I still recommend that you check the voltage.
Are you cleanly shutting down when you power down. All these issues such as change in behaviour of XBMC is likely due to corruption. Like was pointed out, deleting the .xbmc to let it regenerate may help, but it won't solve the main problem. You'll eventually probably end up with a corrupt filesystem eventually (if not already).

Been own this road so many times in the past 12 months, with friends and family.
Did a fresh start via a utility in the programs menu. All my settings were erased but didn't take too long to set them back.
So far so good. I went to reinstall the repos I had before, but many are now empty despite doing a force refresh...but that's another issue.
dmdsoftware, I am forced to do a hard restart when it crashes. I may have a corrupt file system indeed. I will look into how to fix that now. Any ideas or links?
Thanks for the help everyone
(2014-03-21, 16:23)pipewrencher Wrote: I never had any issues before today!?

then it could be this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189722

addon repos hosted on github are causing xbmc to crash since yesterday.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPI keeps restarting on it's own0