Intel releases Minnow Board Max $99 linux board

Note: This is a photo of a pre-production prototype. The final version may differ, and will include a heatsink on the CPU.

Intel Releases $99 “Minnowboard Max,” An Open-Source Single-Board Computer
Current estimate of public availability is June 2014.

Not to be outflanked by rivals, Intel has released the $99 Minnowboard Max, a tiny single-board computer that runs Linux and Android. It is completely open source – you can check out the firmware and software here – and runs a 1.91GHz Atom E3845 processor.

The board’s schematics are also available for download and the Intel graphics chipset has open-source drivers so hackers can have their way with the board. While it doesn’t compete directly with the Raspberry Pi – the Pi is more an educational tool and already has a robust ecosystem – it is a way for DIYers to mess around in x86 architected systems as well as save a bit of cash. The system uses break-out boards called Lures to expand functionality.

Core Logic-------64-bit Intel® Atom™ E38xx Series SoC----$99 MSRP: E3815 (single-core, 1.46 GHz)
$129 MSRP: E3825 (dual-core, 1.33 GHz)

FullTechnical Features – MinnowBoard MAX

any good?
Intel Updates MinnowBoard and Reduces Its Price To $99

Intel has partnered with the company CircuitCo to ​​announce the second generation of its MinnoBoard , the miniPCs trying to compete with popular devices like the Raspberry Pi and now come with significant advantages.
This second generation is called MinnoBoard Max , and is expected to be put up for sale in June. The plaque, which will be priced at $ 99, integrates an Intel Atom processor E3815 64-bit 1.46 GHz (5W TDP , and with 1GB of RAM ), although more than $ 129 version with an Intel Atom E3825 1.33 GHz (6W TDP , and 2 GB of RAM ). Such processors make use of the Bay Trail architecture, and as in the previous case, the fundamental difference with the mics used in the Raspberry Pi is the use of x86 instead of ARM .

Project leaders say that this new version makes use of " open hardware, open source embedded development platform manufactured by CircuitCo Electronics ". As in the previous edition, the hardware design files MinnoBoard Max will be available under the Creative Commons license .
The new version has a microSD slot, one SATA2 port (3 Gbps), output HDMI , port USB 3.0 port USB 2.0, one serial port via cable to connect components FTDI , Gigabit Ethernet port, eight-pin GPIO . Both Debian and Android as the Yocto Project 4.4 is compatible with Minnoboard Max.
Would only use with OpenELEC. I wouldn't use it as anything bug a dedicated XBMC box. I think it's a decent stride by intel, but I would have liked to see a price around $70. God knows intel is capable of doing it.
It's a fantastic deal at $100.
Ive been playing with the TBS Matrix (modified Sabre SD imx6q) and I tell you, closed source binaries are driving my up the wall. Ive pretty much had it with closed source GPU/VPU stuff.

For $129 (dual core/2GB ram version) I'll defn pick one up just so I can run whatever kernel version I want.

UDL
@MediaPi

The thread header is missleading and plainly wrong !!!,
Edit: Intel doesn't own MinnowBoard Foundation and didn't develop this board,

You shouldn't quote (the header) tech bloggers that have no idea what they're writting about.
All the related (and correct) info can be found at the official MinnowBoard site

Quote:Q: Who owns MinnowBoard?
A: minnowboard.org: non-profit organization status has been applied for as of July 2013.

Q: Who designs, manufactures and sells the MinnowBoard?
A: CircuitCo, a custom manufacturing company based in Richardson, Texas, designed and manufactured the board with feature, design and component recommendations from Intel Corporation. CircuitCo’s services are available to create modified versions of MinnowBoard for industrial and other custom applications.

Also see this mailpost
http://lists.elinux.org/pipermail/elinux...00026.html
Hi!

I dont get it. Is this Minnowboard-max out on the market 1.91GHz or will there only be E3815 single-core, 1.46 GHz version?
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/03/intel-r...-computer/

Otherwise, anyone knows when this 1.91GHz is going to be released?

Another option would be ODROID-U3. How is this compared to Minnowboard Max?

Im mainly going to use it running processing (processing.org) , graphics and to control arduino. At the moment Im running raspberry pi but the problem with the raspbian pi and processing is that Processing doesnt co-operate with the Pis hardware-accelearation , so anything using video or 3D will be very slow. Does this work better on Minnowboard Max 1.91
Minnow board max website says June release. Doesn't mention sperate release dates. So I'm assuming the same date.

For $129 I'll defn pick up the dual core version. The arm boards are driving me up the wall with compilation issues.

UDL
ok, so there would be a Minnowboard-max 1.91GHz out on the market in june.

not only the these two:
Quote:$99 MSRP: E3815 (single-core, 1.46 GHz)
$129 MSRP: E3825 (dual-core, 1.33 GHz)

Quote:The arm boards are driving me up the wall with compilation issues.
maybe ODROID-U3 is a better option? they look pretty similliar and more powerfull than the 1.46 GHz and 1.33 Ghz as far as I can see. but im not very good in reading these specs in detail

here´s the link to odroid U3:
http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
I missed that 1.9Ghz reference. I do have to say Ive never seen so much miss information on a product lol.

http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/

states only the E3815 and E3825, Id trust the developers site over anything else.

The ODROID-U3 is an ARM board. Ive already got an RPi and a TBS Matrix (quad core iMX6) and I wont be buying another ARM board. The compiling issues just arent worth it imo. The pre compiled GPU/VPU binaries make interfacing them super proprietary and complex. The non mainline kernel's are very annoying as well, I always feel like Im back porting kernel changes.

UDL
Ok thanks.
So maybe odroid u3 is not a good solution then ...?

At the moment Im running raspberry pi but the problem with the raspbian pi and processing is that Processing doesnt co-operate with the Pis hardware-accelearation

so im looking for a solution with more power with possibilities running graphics smoother and faster. Maybe worth waiting for the minnowboard release. Guess there will be no release of 1.91 ghz then only 1.33 and 1.46

Another maybe stupid question. How much difference is there between E3815 single-core, 1.46 GHz and E3825 dual-core, 1.33 GHz.

Im far from an expert on this but guess the dual-core 1.33 is a lot faster even though the lower clockrate since its dual?
Well its up to you. How comfortable with ARM are you ? If your very comfortable then give it a go. If you want something even more powerful for around the $200 mark look into the Jetson TK1, its benchmarks are looking almost twice as fast as atom processors.

Ive just tried two different ARM boards and Im just not happy with the proprietaryness of either one.

UDL
I should add that in theory a dual core is 2x as fast as a single core. But thats theory, and this is real life. Some tasks thread very well, some dont. Sometimes the developer doesnt bother to thread a task, it can be alot of extra work sometimes.

UDL
You can test xbmc on minnowmax powered by Tizen , check video :

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tizen/comments/2...rd_max_is/
There's also an official Intel Android 4.4.2 build for MinnowBoard Max

https://01.org/android-ia/downloads

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel releases Minnow Board Max $99 linux board1