Xbox One - Universal App
So if someone else has already suggested this and I missed it, sorry in advance stop reading. If not, keep reading.

Now that MS has announced Xbox One will support universal app development what are the chances of the excellent XBMC developer team moving to the Xbox One in the future?

I would pay for an XBMC app on Xbox One that does what you guys do best right now....Just saying.
Already asked Wink
Ok great where? Give me a link to see what the response was because the only thing I see talks about Plex etc. and there is no direct response from the team reference even the possibility of an Xbox One app for XBMC. What a perfect opportunity for you guys to support your namesake with an app.
There will never be one from us afaik which has been stated every single time some one asked. we don't want one and are not interested

See the feature suggestion section and browse through it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
the plex+vlc one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191466
and the only thing you could get on XboxOne is some sort of UPNP client like the Plex one, but not the real deal. And the team itself only cares for the real deal.
Ok. Wow, maybe I'm reading into Martijn's response but very passionate against doing an app. I don't like hearing DEVS say "never" - then you start sounding like NEST or Apple = no support for Windows Phone or their preferred device.

I watched the BUILD conference and didn't come away with that impression - but I am not a developer so I will defer to you all. It would simplify my HT set-up but well.

I still enjoy XBMC on my HTPC just wish I could ditch a device.
It's not like it'll never happen by anyone, it's just that at least the current core team is only interested on full ports, not streaming apps (for which we miss transcoding anyways). Given that you'll probably get a far better mediacenter experience with much cheaper hardware than the XBoxONE, the interrest became even less. But other motivated devs out there are welcome to create such apps (like the Android and iOS remotes) or try a complete port. And if they like to OpenSource them and join the team in order to make them the "official" XBMC app for platform X, they're welcome to do so as well. We just don't have the man power, nor devs interested in these platforms right now.
Even if it could be done, and that's a big if, there's also the small matter of needing Microsoft's approval.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/unive...-approval/
(2014-04-08, 18:49)da-anda Wrote: It's not like it'll never happen by anyone, it's just that at least the current core team is only interested on full ports, not streaming apps (for which we miss transcoding anyways). Given that you'll probably get a far better mediacenter experience with much cheaper hardware than the XBoxONE, the interrest became even less. But other motivated devs out there are welcome to create such apps (like the Android and iOS remotes) or try a complete port. And if they like to OpenSource them and join the team in order to make them the "official" XBMC app for platform X, they're welcome to do so as well. We just don't have the man power, nor devs interested in these platforms right now.

Thank you for your explanation. Can you explain why a full port is not possible? Is the Xbox too restricted in things like network protocol and playback capabilities?
It would be nice to see the Xbox Media Center finally being back to the roots Smile

(2014-04-08, 16:11)da-anda Wrote: the plex+vlc one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=191466
and the only thing you could get on XboxOne is some sort of UPNP client like the Plex one, but not the real deal. And the team itself only cares for the real deal.

Are you sure that you don't have access to NFS or SMB?
I'm not a dev, nor did I investigate in the XBoxONE SDK - so I can't tell how restricted apps are, nor do I know which chipsets are used or which drivers are available for accelerated AV decoding etc. My reference to UPNP was about Plex - which should be what they are using for their thinclient app (that's what they do with all their Apps, be it SmartTV, Ouya, Android, iOS). It might be possible to port XBMC to it, but you'll only know if one tries to do, but I'm pretty sure that there will be restrictions/limitations.
"we don't want one and are not interested"

Childish. I've lost all faith in XBMC/Kodi team. They will continue to ignore this massive feature request and will not create a Universal App or utilize the Windows OS within Xbox One. It doesn't matter how much the device costs... If I have a $350 Xbox One, there is no reason Kodi should not have an app on it. It is ridiculous that the current (and apparently permanent) solution is to buy an HTPC or Raspberry Pi and plug it in behind the Xbox One. Do you not understand your built-in market? Everyone who owns XB1 wants Kodi, even if they don't know it. Make a goddamn app. It will be good for you and better for the world. Plex is shit, XB1 Media Center is utter shit. You could make the perfect media center for this device.
(2015-02-24, 21:53)skywalker993 Wrote: Make a goddamn app.

We're not your slaves.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-02-24, 21:53)skywalker993 Wrote: "we don't want one and are not interested"

Childish. I've lost all faith in XBMC/Kodi team. They will continue to ignore this massive feature request and will not create a Universal App or utilize the Windows OS within Xbox One. It doesn't matter how much the device costs... If I have a $350 Xbox One, there is no reason Kodi should not have an app on it. It is ridiculous that the current (and apparently permanent) solution is to buy an HTPC or Raspberry Pi and plug it in behind the Xbox One. Do you not understand your built-in market? Everyone who owns XB1 wants Kodi, even if they don't know it. Make a goddamn app. It will be good for you and better for the world. Plex is shit, XB1 Media Center is utter shit. You could make the perfect media center for this device.

Convince MS to allow native apps with direct X access and send us a couple of xb ones. Then we might change our minds.
(2015-02-24, 21:53)skywalker993 Wrote: "we don't want one and are not interested"

See, 'Market' is word that explicit donates a relation to commerce. There is no market for Kodi, there is no market share that Kodi has, BECAUSE IT'S FREE.
XBMC/Kodi could not have been ported to Android unless Google had made the NDK (Native Development Kit) toolset available which allows you to program in C/C++ to build native applications for Android devices.

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Realistically you first need Microsoft to release a similar type of NDK (Native Development Kit) toolset for Xbox One before anyone will consider porting Kodi to it.

And even if Microsoft would release a NDK (Native Development Kit) toolset to allow you to build C/C++ applications for Xbox One it would still require skilled developers to spends thousands of hours to properly port a huge application like Kodi.

No doubt you not even aware that XBMC/Kodi team is only made up of volunteers working on this software for free in their spare time as a hobby, and you not knowing that is possibly your only excuse for acting out like that.

Understand that XBMC is a non-profit organization which gives away the Kodi software for free, so it is not like when a commercial company such as Google or Microsoft are making a application available at no charge to gain a larger user-base. There are no paid XBMC/Kodi employees, and when no one is getting paid there absolutely need to be a high personal interest for a developer to code it.

Would you personally invest thousands of hours to build for example a house for a complete stranger without getting paid if you had no personal interest in doing so?

Kodi being a non-profit organization gives people some motivation to code and share their work for free, but that motivation can be lost when ungrateful users act like they are entitled to a an extension of their free house.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One - Universal App2