• 5(current)
First HTPC
If you are not 100% sure of the spec, you can visit the website to view the entire A-Series spec- AMD A-Series APU Processors....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I just saw, but yes, I believed him. I was just confused before he clarified that minor technicality among the A8 and A10s.

I think Speccy has been giving me false temperature readings. It registered at 82C but then I restarted the PC and saw 37C CPU temp in BIOS. I'm going to try using another HW monitoring software to see how it qualifies.
(2014-04-17, 02:57)Solidify Wrote: Bluray, I don't doubt that but unless it's needed, I don't want to spend any more money. I'm looking into something as we speak. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow afternoon with my results.
The reason that I keep recommending aftermarket CPU cooler for AMD CPU because AMD CPU cooler tend to be noisy and not very reliable. For the longevity of your CPU, I thing that it is worth it to invest $45 for a very good CPU cooler....
I'll give it a couple days and see how it fairs. One week with a stock AMD cooler won't shave that much life off my CPU, will it?
I just want to think things through a bit more thoroughly before I buy instinctively like earlier, because now I'm stuck with a case that can't accommodate my storage drives like I had anticipated it would.
How can I share a single HDD with my HTPC? All of the content for my XBMC HTPC is stored on the HDD that is installed in my desktop PC. I would like to continue storing the content on this drive but give my HTPC access to the drive content through my LAN.

I've Homegroup but I can't find a way to share a single HDD.
(2014-04-17, 05:03)Solidify Wrote: How can I share a single HDD with my HTPC? All of the content for my XBMC HTPC is stored on the HDD that is installed in my desktop PC. I would like to continue storing the content on this drive but give my HTPC access to the drive content through my LAN.

I've Homegroup but I can't find a way to share a single HDD.
This guy have a good instruction- Sharing a Hard Drive or this kid video- How to share your hard drive over your network in Windows 7,8....
Second video worked. Thanks bluray. I'm importing my movie library as we speak.

(2014-04-10, 17:06)LazerBlue Wrote: These are what I used in my parents case. I had also used some speaker grill cloth to cover the vents to act as a filter (it is VERY dusty in Florida apparently) so the red doesn't show much. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6835226034

Lazer, do you know if there's a way to turn off the lights on the fans? They're kind of annoying while watching a film in the dark.
Also, the HTPC is not extremely loud but still noticeable while watching TV. However, I can't determine if its the two case fans that are resposible for what I'm hearing or its the CPU's HSF.
(2014-04-17, 21:20)Solidify Wrote: Also, the HTPC is not extremely loud but still noticeable while watching TV. However, I can't determine if its the two case fans that are resposible for what I'm hearing or its the CPU's HSF.
The noise is probably from the AMD CPU cooler. AMD CPU is not known for being silent. Most HTPC owners replaced their AMD CPU coolers....
(2014-04-17, 06:07)Solidify Wrote: Second video worked. Thanks bluray. I'm importing my movie library as we speak.

(2014-04-10, 17:06)LazerBlue Wrote: These are what I used in my parents case. I had also used some speaker grill cloth to cover the vents to act as a filter (it is VERY dusty in Florida apparently) so the red doesn't show much. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6835226034

Lazer, do you know if there's a way to turn off the lights on the fans? They're kind of annoying while watching a film in the dark.

The ones I linked should not of had lights. Are you sure they sent the right ones? I just checked the link and it doesn't say anything about glowing.
Quote:The noise is probably from the AMD CPU cooler

While I know you're probably right, I would like to be certain before buying the aftermarket HSF I've been suggested, since it isn't cheap. Before I unplug the case fans and try it, do you know of another way to test this out, possibly a method to disable the fans from the BIOS (since they're both plugged to the board).

Quote:The ones I linked should not of had lights. Are you sure they sent the right ones? I just checked the link and it doesn't say anything about glowing.

Oops, right again. These are the ones I purchased because they were cheaper, thinking they were the same model: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/s...ign=CANLET

They're not the same as the model you linked. Oh well, not that big of a deal. If it gets increasingly distracting, I'll find a tutorial on how to snip the fan wire responsible for the LED.
(2014-04-17, 22:52)Solidify Wrote:
Quote:The noise is probably from the AMD CPU cooler

While I know you're probably right, I would like to be certain before buying the aftermarket HSF I've been suggested, since it isn't cheap. Before I unplug the case fans and try it, do you know of another way to test this out, possibly a method to disable the fans from the BIOS (since they're both plugged to the board).
You can un-plug the case fans from the mobo. If the noises still there, it should be from CPU cooler fan. You can play around with the fan level in bios to reduce noise. You can select "Cool N' Quiet" option, fan level to 2 and CPU target temp to 50 degrees celsius in bios....
Quote:You can select "Cool N' Quiet" option, fan level to 2 and CPU target temp to 50 degrees celsius in bios.

Can you elaborate on this?
OK. I have two things I'm having a hard time with.

1. I was trying install this add-on but when I try to install it from the ZIP file, XBMC just keeps going further and futher into the subdirectory.In other words, the install from ZIP function doesn't let me click "OK" for any of the files on the ZIP folder, no matter how far I go.

I was using this user's instructions:

(2012-02-25, 02:15)Martijn Wrote:
borals Wrote:Is there a way to see if it installed or not?

In the skins settings, there is the default widget settings like, latest ep etc, and I have those on, but they don't show because all my main menu items are smart playlists (no default Movies, or TV is used).

So the widget doesn't appear still. I can paste some screen shots asap.

Ah i know what's the problem Smile

You probably have the one from XBMC repo. You need to manually install the latest skin version from zip.
Step1:
download https://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox/zipball/master

Step 2: open the zip file and rename the folder to "skins.aeon.nox"

Step 3: install using the .zip install in the add-ons section

2. My second problem is that I would like to make it so that my HTPC either goes into suspend or shuts off completely after an hour of inactivity. The first time I tried this, I went into my skin's settings and changed it so that the shutdown key functions as suspend:

Disregard the inaccurate readings from this image; I just needed it to show you which menu I'm talking about.

That worked well. I tested it and after an hour of inactivity, the HTPC went into suspend. But I discovered a problem later that day: when I tried to click "Shutdown" from XBMC, since I changed the shutdown function to "suspend", the PC simply suspended when I actually wanted it to power off at that time.

Any way around this?
(2014-04-18, 05:26)Solidify Wrote:
Quote:You can select "Cool N' Quiet" option, fan level to 2 and CPU target temp to 50 degrees celsius in bios.

Can you elaborate on this?
You can find this info in page #71-72 of your manual. You can try different settings to see what work best for your CPU....
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0