Letterbox Films
Hey guys.

I download plenty of high definition films from torrent websites but no matter what I try, when playing them back on my TV, they always play as the annoying letterbox format. I know that this has to do with aspect ratios and trying to get a rectangular or wide film to display on a TV with a narrower frame. But I don't know much else besides that.

This is my Samsung TV's model: LN40D551K8FXZC

Can this be corrected or there's no work-around, without distorting the image? Do I simply need to download films that are listed with a specific aspect ratio?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.
Aspect ratios are normally an artistic choice made by the film makers, why you would want to change that is beyond me but *sigh* have you tried the zoom function on your TV?
Quote:why you would want to change that is beyond me

For the same reason most people asking about this want to change it: to take advantage of the entire screen and get a fuller image. *sigh*

The zoom function distorts the image.

I was watching this video of a user running XBMC on a 65" plasma TV. In this video, he shows the TED movie (16:9) playing fullscreen while The Tourist movie (21:9) plays as letterbox.

Does this mean only 16:9 films will display as full screen on my TV? My TV's resolution is 1920 x 1080, which translates to 16:9 or 1.78:1. Does this mean film with this aspect ratio will take up the entire screen on my TV? And anything that is 21:9 will play as letterbox?
Yes, that's typically how shapes work...
I don't appreciate being spoken to in a condesending tone. A simple "yes, that's right" would have sufficed.
Well think about it. For a 21:9 movie to play fullscreen on a 16:9 screen you have 2 choices:

1. stretch it vertically and make everyone look taller and skinnier than they are (wrong); or

2. cut the left and right edges off and keep the aspect ratio. Then you miss the edges of the movie (wrong).

The director intended you to watch it 21:9, leave it at that and get the black bands at top and bottom.

Or get 21:9 TV :-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-11, 00:38)Solidify Wrote:
Quote:why you would want to change that is beyond me

For the same reason most people asking about this want to change it: to take advantage of the entire screen and get a fuller image. *sigh*

The zoom function distorts the image.

I was watching this video of a user running XBMC on a 65" plasma TV. In this video, he shows the TED movie (16:9) playing fullscreen while The Tourist movie (21:9) plays as letterbox.

Does this mean only 16:9 films will display as full screen on my TV? My TV's resolution is 1920 x 1080, which translates to 16:9 or 1.78:1. Does this mean film with this aspect ratio will take up the entire screen on my TV? And anything that is 21:9 will play as letterbox?

You wouldn't get a fuller image if you stretched it across the whole screen, you would lose potions of the image.
Converting aspect ratios to Full Screen from the original aspect ratio is done by the studios and is not easily achieved unless you have some video editing software that can Pan-and-Scan (yuck) or just chop the sides to maintain proportions.

My recommendation is to watch the content, in it's originally filmed aspect ratio, I think you will come to appreciate the directors vision, especially in movies like Lord of the Rings & Star Wars, shot in 2.35 to 1, which give you a more theater feel or if I can use the word, epic feel.
All these posts to say that it's essentially out of my reach and recommended to be viewed as such. Thanks.
distort or clip, those are your only choices.
Non-linear stretch has all the film, but still has some distortion towards the edges of the frame. I notice this feature in the video OSD, but haven't managed to make it work for me yet.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
This is a 3rd option.

this video pretty well sums aspect up

I don't like 4:3 aspect of my local cable outfit, and use Zoom 1 to clip the top & bottom to give me full screen, in XBMC the Zoom level in-combination with the shift video to do an approximate full screen tailored a bit closer to your liking. Most telecinema full screen conversion is cutting off both sides unless there is a human to pan the action of lessor aspect formats.

I guess you could say projections systems work best to give you aspect correct images without black bars, sigh, I guess movies are meant to be watched on the big screen.
Here is another example of cropping to full screen, I am using an extreme by going to 4:3 but it will be similar for any cropping without stretching:

Personally the black bars don't bother me since I know I am seeing the entire film as it was shot. I guess I am just a film purest.
(2014-04-11, 21:47)PatK Wrote: This video pretty well sums aspect up

Great video! Thanks for posting.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-04-11, 07:05)Ned Scott Wrote: Yes, that's typically how shapes work...

+ rep for you sir.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Letterbox Films0