Gotham Beta 3 and AC3/DTS on Ouya
I've been using various Gotham builds for a while on my Ouya. At one point, there were several builds that allowed AC3 and DTS audio to pass through to be properly decoded by my receiver. It's been a while since this worked, but today I saw that Beta 3 was released and was pleased to see the following statement.

"AC3 and DTS audio processing is supported."

I loaded up the new version and I'm still not able to get the multi-channel audio to pass through to my receiver.

I'm wondering if anyone has this working, or if I'm misinterpreting what is meant by the above statement.
The best I can say (and understand, given my own lack of audio receiver that can handle passthrough formats), it's somewhat in flux right now.
There is a PR under way that will allow passthrough on all Droid boxes from an Xbmc perspective on Gotham (same as what existed on frodo) . Whether it will actually work will be box-dependent, of course.

Note however that I've seen posts indicating it's not working anymore on the ouya, after a firmware upgrade.
Thanks Koying for the information. I had seen that as well, but was having difficulty making a determination as to whether it was specifically the Ouya update that had killed passthrough or something in XBMC.
OTOH, they just committed a passthrough patch to XBMC on Ouya: https://github.com/ouya/xbmc/pull/5/
Does that mean the offcial xbmc on Ouya will allow passtrough? Will it also work with sideloaded Xbmc Gotham beta 3?
I guess. But if it does, you'll have to wait for their updated firmware, anyway, and the annoucement that they'll no doubt do.
That's really good news.
I've created a test Gotham build with Ouya passthrough: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
Mind testing it?
(2014-04-17, 21:05)Koying Wrote: I've created a test Gotham build with Ouya passthrough: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
Mind testing it?

Tested on my 8 gig Ouya updated to latest firmware. No special modifications other than it's rooted. I played a few different files (xvid/divx, x264) of varying resolutions over a NAS. I also played both DTS and DD encoded files.

Had to turn off mediacodec to get xvid/divx playing without judder. After that, no issues using libstagefright.

Passthrough of DD/DTS works without issue. A DTS-HD Master Audio encoded file played fine, but only passed through the core DTS 5.1.

There is no option here to pass through AAC (nor was I expecting one, but something I'm hoping for in the future). I played an mp4 encoded with 5.1 AAC, and it played downmixed stereo audio. I have also been playing with the new release of XBMC for Ouya from the discover store, and while there is the option to passthrough AAC in the audio settings, it crashes XBMC every time I play an AAC file. If I leave AAC unchecked in audio settings, the video plays, but slows down significantly to where it simply isn't watchable.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Koying. Hope this helps.
I'll have a look after Easter at your build.
I installed the official xbmc for Ouya and passthrough works (I didn't try AAC files), an additionnal advantage with this passthrough is I don't get anymmore the parasites I used to (A few manipulations allowed me to get rid of them but it was very annoying).
What do you mean by parasites macgyv? Noise in the ouya decoded multichannel PCM stream?
It looks like AAC passthrough has been deprecated. I don't see it in the settings anymore.

However, if you set your speakers config to 2.0, a transcoding option will appear in the passthrough options.
Enabling it will transcode AAC to AC3 on-the-fly Wink
I thought it was concluded that no one could find an actual AAC passthrough AVR in the wild? The cake is a lie.
The AAC option in Frodo was a fake, it never actually did anything so there is no change in behaviour, AAC is always decoded to PCM. There's actually no point to passing out the AAC as there is very little equipment that will decode it from a HDMI input, I think the only brand of AVR's that may do is Pioneer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham Beta 3 and AC3/DTS on Ouya1