Intel NUC , Zotac, or what?
I've had a home built i3 machine with an nVidia 630, SSD, 8GB RAM, but the box is a minitower that sits next to my TV. I was thinking about a newer i5 based NUC or Zotac box that could sit behind my tv out of site. I've heard the NUC's are nice but their fans whine. I don't know if that's true or not. Can anyone recommend a small i5 or i7 system that can run OpenElec and play 3d blu rays and HD audio?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Well the Nuc's look nice but I've read about whining problems with the fan and the Zotac I have has been rock solid. I just want a higher performing mini PC that I can hide. My homemade htpc is small but not nearly small enough.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2014-04-20, 02:31)patseguin Wrote: Well the Nuc's look nice but I've read about whining problems with the fan and the Zotac I have has been rock solid. I just want a higher performing mini PC that I can hide. My homemade htpc is small but not nearly small enough.

I bought a NUC Celeron N2820 last week. Cannot hear the fan at all (sits under TV, open shelf)
The fan speed is customisable in the BIOS, I've set mine to 20% minimum.
I have an i3 Haswell NUC in our bedroom and I have never heard it even once. The slightest bit of environmental volume like a light breeze or fan or anything will be louder than it.

It's seriously a complete non issue IMO, maybe some people have hypersonic eardrums though
i think NUC is good, my friend have this, it's quiet
The i3 Haswell NUC is only audible if the CPU is working intensively... otherwise I'd say it's easily drowned out by ambient noise.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I also have a DN2820 and I can ear the fan when there's total silence but even then it's a very low sound. Not an issue at all.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I bought a Zotac Nano AD12+ and I'm really happy with it. Very quiet and fast.
Well even though it's a tad on the large side - about 11" wide and 8" tall I managed to fit it behind my TV. My center looks cleaner and the machine is really quiet. I still would like to eventually get an i5 or i7 nuc or Zotac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC , Zotac, or what?0