Best device for xmbc
Hi Guys,

I just learned about xmbc and was browsing for devices. There are a ton of devices out there.

1) Minix Neo X7
2) Ouya
3) G-Box Midnight MX2 by Matricom
4) The little black box
5) ATV520E
6) ATV1200
7) ATV1800 (is this released?)
8) Pivos Xios
9) ....

I'm having a hard time to finalize which device to buy. Can you please suggest, which one is the best device?

Thanks.
The short answer is that there is no single "best" device as everyone has different priorities and different use cases.
(2014-04-24, 02:52)mumbai1985 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I just learned about xmbc and was browsing for devices. There are a ton of devices out there.

1) Minix Neo X7
2) Ouya
4) The little black box
5) ATV520E
6) ATV1200
8) Pivos Xios
9) ....

I'm having a hard time to finalize which device to buy. Can you please suggest, which one is the best device?

Thanks.

You should have a regular pc listed in there. Since it would be better than all of those.
There is no best device. It's all dependent on what you want to do.

There are TONS of devices at least 25+ that can utilize XBMC. Probably up to 100 devices+ actually. There isn't a best, it's dependent on what you want to do.
(2014-04-24, 02:52)mumbai1985 Wrote: Hi Guys,

1) Minix Neo X7
2) Ouya
4) The little black box
5) ATV520E
6) ATV1200
8) Pivos Xios
9) ....

Thanks.

In my opinion, the best device to use XBMC with is always a regular PC. Android devices and other similar off-brand small media players always have some deficiency IMO.

As far as a PC goes, I really like the Intel NUC. It's small, easy to setup, and just works well. I have 2820 NUC (the low end Baytrail model) and it plays just about everything, except for really high bitrate media. If you're looking to play 1080p mkv files, the 2820 NUC should be fine. It is difficult to find however, and if you want something right now, you'd have to get the i3 or i5 NUC.

You could also build a custom HTPC with cheap parts (I recommend the ECS NM70-I2), but you'll probably end up with something a little larger than the NUC, and you'd still have to buy some kind of IR receiver if you want remote support.
Of the ones I have tried I would say PC (NUC) > Android box (stick) > Raspberry Pi, with a side note that the PI is very stable and all it's just a little to slow for my taste.
Thanks for all suggestions! Looks like PC is the way to go!

@ Two515ty - can you tell which model plays 1080 files ? Is it 2820 or something else?
Also, which are other alternatives to nuc pc, if I can't buy nuc in canada.

Also, I understand that if I go with pc route I would need wireless mouse and keyboard. Any recommendations to make the settings wife friendly?
(2014-04-24, 13:06)mumbai1985 Wrote: Thanks for all suggestions! Looks like PC is the way to go!

@ Two515ty - can you tell which model plays 1080 files ? Is it 2820 or something else?

Also, I understand that if I go with pc route I would need wireless mouse and keyboard. Any recommendations to make the settings wife friendly?

You only need the keyboard to set it up, I just use a remote to controll the pc.
I'm a big fan of the Intel Fire Brix (model B)
(2014-04-24, 13:06)mumbai1985 Wrote: Thanks for all suggestions! Looks like PC is the way to go!

The 2820 will easily play your run-of-the-mill 1080p videos, but may not handle high bitrate stuff like VC-1 and Hi10. I'm using it with 2GB of RAM and Windows 8. It runs XBMC smoothly and does everything I need it do. If you have Netflix, then the NUC can also run the metro Netflix app in Windows 8, which is another advantage over many of the other media devices.

The DN2820FYK may be difficult to find, but the i3 and i5 models (34010 and 5420) should be available. If not, take a look at the Gigabyte Brix. It's quite similar to the NUC, but the newer models may have slightly different specs, and they don't have built in IR. The i3 and i5 NUCs do not have built in WiFi and Bluetooth, while the 2820 (Baytrail) and Gigabyte Brix come with a built in WiFi and Bluetooth module. I would recommend using a wired connection if possible.

As far as making it wife friendly, I'd suggest using a remote as goujam suggested. I have a Logitech Harmony Remote setup as an XBMC device (Manufacturer: Microsoft, Device: XBMC if you're on MyHarmony.com) and it works well. If you have a standard Windows Media Center remote, or any other programmable RC-6 remote, the should work well too.

(2014-04-24, 15:12)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm a big fan of the Intel Fire Brix (model B)

Which device is this? I couldn't find anything on it. I know there's a Gigabyte Brix, but I haven't heard anything about an Intel-branded model.
(2014-04-24, 13:38)goujam Wrote:

You only need the keyboard to set it up, I just use a remote to controll the pc.

FLIRC - Can be used with nearly any Remote

If you really want to go the Keyboard route.

Slickdeals will have a deals for the keyboard all the time, if you do go that route.
Are these devices available in store anywhere in New York State? I live in Toronto - I'm driving to Rochester via buffalo sometime next month.
(2014-04-24, 17:23)mumbai1985 Wrote: Are these devices available in store anywhere in New York State? I live in Toronto - I'm driving to Rochester via buffalo sometime next month.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search...cro-Center

The i3 and i5 models (D34010 and D54250) may be available at Microcenter. I'm not sure which one of their NY locations would be close to you, but I'm sure you can figure it out when you get there. Don't buy the D53427. It's old and outdated.

EDIT: Do note that if you get one of the i3 or i5 NUC models ending in WYK (like the ones listed in the link above), you'll need to get an mSATA SSD if you want to install Windows. If you just need a pure XBMC device, you can run OpenELEC off a USB drive to save on the cost of the SSD. Also make sure that you get DDR3L (1.35 V) SO-DIMMs, as standard 1.5 V DDR3 SO-DIMMs will not work with the newer models.
Do D34010 / D54250 have IR ? I did a quick search and could not conclude if they have IR or not.

Also, if I can use FLIRC, I dont really need IR , correct? What exactly is the advantage of IR?

If IR is not really a big deal, I guess Gigabyte is my best bet because it comes with built in wifi and bluetooth.

Please suggest.

Thanks!
(2014-04-25, 18:06)mumbai1985 Wrote: Do D34010 / D54250 have IR ? I did a quick search and could not conclude if they have IR or not.

Also, if I can use FLIRC, I dont really need IR , correct? What exactly is the advantage of IR?

If IR is not really a big deal, I guess Gigabyte is my best bet because it comes with built in wifi and bluetooth.

Please suggest.

Thanks!

Yes, they have IR built in already.I wouldn't recommend buying a FLIRC in addition to the built in IR, unless you just prefer the FLIRC. IR is used for being able to control the device with a standard remote control, so you don't have to use a mouse and/or keyboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best device for xmbc0