my external HDD doesnt show up on putty
hi,
i have a 2tb ntfs external hard drive it does not run off its own power source but it still works. now i am in the middle of mounting it and i cant find it the df command in putty can it show up as any thing else apart from sda1 cause i dont see that also how do you automount?
What power source does it run off of then?
You can't drive it from the Pi USB power, not enough there.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
usb via usb hub it says in the first post the light on the hard drive comes on so i doubt its a power issue
(2014-05-03, 01:03)smcauley600 Wrote: usb via usb hub it says in the first post
Can't see that. You only say:
Quote:i have a 2tb ntfs external hard drive it does not run off its own power source but it still works
and that does not count as saying it is connected to a USB hub......
Bo Berglund
Sweden
yes but i am still getting power though the hardd drive the light is still on and it is making noise
(2014-05-03, 20:18)smcauley600 Wrote: yes but i am still getting power though the hardd drive the light is still on and it is making noise

I'm a bit confused is your usb powered hard drive connected to a externally powered USB Hub ?

If it's not then you will get problems your hard drive will need to draw about 1000ma of power the raspberry pi usb outputs were originally only rated a 100ma however on the newer models the polyfuses have been removed but you can't expect it to power a big load.

If your usb hd is connected to a externally powered usb hub then we will try our best to help Smile
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
shows what hard drives are recognised. Also
Code:
dmesg
should show something when you plug/unplug a hard drive.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my external HDD doesnt show up on putty0