Windowed / Fullscreen Toggle Not Working
Hello.

I'm running XBMC Gotham final on Windows 8.1 and having trouble with the windowed/fullscreen toggle. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a setup issue and wanted to check here first. This was working in Frodo and broke when I upgraded to Gotham.

Essentially what is happening is that when I start XBMC, the "\" key window/fullscreen toggle shortcut isn't working. My XBMC launches fullscreen, and pressing the "\" key does nothing. If I go into Settings / System / Video Output / Display Mode, XBMC reports that it is currently windowed even though it's actually fullscreen.

If I toggle this setting manually using the system settings menu to Fullscreen, the display doesn't visually change, but suddenly the "\" key toggle works properly. Unfortunately I have to do this every time I start XBMC.

Has anyone else seen this?
There are several windowed modes in video settings... make sure you're in the correct one or that toggle won't work.
Peter Souza IV
Media Center Master (MCM)
Usenet & torrent downloading, artwork management, theatrical trailers, subtitles, organization and metadata for movies & television, and more...
That may be true, but the bigger issue is probably that XBMC thinks it's in Windowed mode when it's actually Fullscreen. As mentioned, simply changing the Display Mode to Fullscreen manually is enough to restore functionality even though it has no visual effect because it's already running Fullscreen.
Under the Full Screen option there's "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen." It must be checked in order for the toggle key to work. That's all I'm saying Wink
Peter Souza IV
Media Center Master (MCM)
Usenet & torrent downloading, artwork management, theatrical trailers, subtitles, organization and metadata for movies & television, and more...
I don't think that's actually true. I tried it on each of my three XBMC devices (including the one having this other issue), and all of them toggle perfectly well whether or not "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is enabled.

In any case, given no responses, I'm going to file a bug. I'll post back with the Trac info when it's all set.
I've seen this on occasion, somehow it's fixed for me. You might try this in your advanced settings.

<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>

It might bring the functionality back.
(2014-05-08, 03:11)PatK Wrote: I've seen this on occasion, somehow it's fixed for me. You might try this in your advanced settings.

Good call. I was just playing around trying to get good info for the bug report, and I think it's actually this setting that's causing it. If I close XBMC while Windowed, then open it back up with that advancedsetting, I get into this problem state.

More info in the bug:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15193
I just stuck it in to my advanced settings and ran into the same issue, so I can confirm your observation. Might have been in some the earlier RC1 and previous too. I see there's an official ticket... my solve was taking this out of the script.
The earliest Gotham I installed was RC1, and the problem was noticeable there as well, so I can't say for sure how long it's been in the code base. I was pretty thorough with the ticket, so hopefully someone gets a chance to take a look at it.
<Alt-Enter> works for me to toggle modes. Smile
In this case with advancedsettings <fullscreen>true</fullscreen> on gotham 13.1 Git:20140604-84725b0 win7 SP1 x64
\ or <Alt-Enter> do not work for me either.
xbmc looks like it starts fullscreen but actually it's windowed

In video settings display mode shows = windowed
in systeminfo it says Screen resolution: [email protected] - Full screen

when you change video settings display mode to fullscreen all works correctly again
and system info says Screen resolution: [email protected] - Full screen

as soon as you restart xbmc all goes back to windowed
Also experiencing the same issue so thanks for submitting the bug report.

To work around this problem in the meantime I'm using:

fart.exe (Find And Replace Text) a free Windows tool here: http://fart-it.sourceforge.net/

And the following simple command file to replace the offending "WINDOW" text with "DESKTOP" every time XBMC launches. It has its limitations but it's quick and effective.

Code:
@ECHO OFF

SET FilePath=C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\portable_data\userdata
SET LaunchCmd="C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

Fart -q "%FilePath%\guisettings.xml" ">WINDOW<" ">DESKTOP<"
%LaunchCmd%

EXIT

Make sure the fart.exe binary is in the same directory as the batch file or in your system path. You'll also need to review the FilePath and LaunchCmd variables above to ensure they match your environment.

A side effect is that you get a command window open behind XBMC but that's the lessor evil for me at the moment (it does close automatically after XBMC exits).

Somebody may have a more elegant workaround?
The solution I found was to use Ctrl+Alt+arrow right or left within XBMCbuntu (i.e. you login to XBMCbuntu rather than simply XBMC at start) while XBMC was in full screen mode. As long as you have more than 1 desktop enabled it will shift to a desktop away from XBMC, allowing use of the OS.

This is not a Windows solution (does Windows support multiple desktops now?), but I was having the same problem in Linux so I thought I'd chime in with my solution.
(2014-05-08, 03:11)PatK Wrote: I've seen this on occasion, somehow it's fixed for me. You might try this in your advanced settings.

It works for me also (Ubuntu Linux 14.04 + Kodi stable from PPA + Nvidia driver).
Mac Mini 2009 (Intel Core 2 Duo - nVidia 9400M), Ubuntu Linux 14.04, Kodi 15.1
yeah its weird on my apple keyboard on windows i need to use the key under escape for toggling fullscreen and on my other PC its alt-enter. boggles the mind and my main pc the normal \ key works fine d0h brain overload Smile and dont ask how i worked this out all other keys function as they should btw Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windowed / Fullscreen Toggle Not Working0