The right backend for some TV functionality
Hello everyone,

I have tried for some days VDR with xvdr and noticed the channel zap needs about 4 seconds to get a running video. In my opinion it is a little bit too long.
Which backend do you recommend for linux, if you want fast channel zap (about 1 second), timeshift and recording?

I have a twin tuner card so support for it would be nice, too.

Thanks in advance.
tvheadend, although timeshift still has some issues and really needs the pvr.tvh addon to work acceptably AFAIK.
You're not gonna get 1 second switches with tvheadend (not HD at least), but it's probably the fastest solution in any case.
I can accept higher switch times for HD, but SD should be fast.
Well most computer DVR's don't accommodate that for a variety of technical reasons.

But frankly if you use a DVR as a DVR as opposed to a TV tuner substitute, you won't be switching channels much. You'll be recording what you want to watch, and watching it when you want to.

With a DVR that annoying channel surfing habits disappear.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hum I have got 4-5 seconds channel switching with TVHeadend and the plugin from Adam Sutton.
So there is no space for improvement?
Some tuners are faster than others but most of the time is spent firing up the various decoders in XBMC.
Okay, to be more specific, I am using Digital Devices DVB-S 2.0 V6.5.
How can I track where the time is being lost?
My setup comprises of Tvheadend on a dedicated server (Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz Xeon, 7GB of ram) using Turbosight DVB-S2 PCI-E cards, channel change is comparable to the Humax Freesat box we have.

The clients are dedicated Openelec installations on Dell Optiplex's that have core 2 duo and Nvidia gfx
So how fast are your Humax Freesat boxes?
I find mapping the CH+- buttons to bring up the channel osd instead of switching channels helps a lot in mitigating channel switch times. That way you can easily see and select what's on other channels with out having to wait a few seconds for each change.
I am using the arrow up and down keys. I thought they are mapped by default on CH+-, aren't they?
From memory I think they are but I have the arrow keys mapped to be the same as other video playback in xbmc. CH+- will bring up the osd and then scroll through the list. I think you can bring up the channel osd via the playback osd (where you select ff, rw, play, pause etc)
(2014-06-21, 11:33)H3llGhost Wrote: So how fast are your Humax Freesat boxes?

I'd say a channel change between two SD channels is 4 seconds max, not much slower than the Humax Foxsat. Infact, accessing the EPG is a lot quicker in XBMC than on the Humax (provided you have good hardware). The Raspberry Pi is not too bad at channel changing but i've found the graphical elements of XBMC really slow it down. I've edited the Confluence skin to tie the interface more around the EPG timeline.
(2014-06-21, 12:02)teeedubb Wrote: From memory I think they are but I have the arrow keys mapped to be the same as other video playback in xbmc. CH+- will bring up the osd and then scroll through the list. I think you can bring up the channel osd via the playback osd (where you select ff, rw, play, pause etc)
Ah I missunderstood you. I thought you have fast channel switch times, but you first open the channel list itself.

(2014-06-22, 16:44)Willith Wrote: I'd say a channel change between two SD channels is 4 seconds max, not much slower than the Humax Foxsat. Infact, accessing the EPG is a lot quicker in XBMC than on the Humax (provided you have good hardware). The Raspberry Pi is not too bad at channel changing but i've found the graphical elements of XBMC really slow it down. I've edited the Confluence skin to tie the interface more around the EPG timeline.
Hum I have an EuroSky receiver and the channel switch is under 1 second.
I want the same for my XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The right backend for some TV functionality0