The right backend for some TV functionality
1 second just isn't going to happen. XBMC doesn't even play local files that fast, much less a feed that has to be buffered.
With a fast tuner, tvheadend, a custom patch to XBMC (4333 (PR)) and <cacheindvdplayer> disabled in advancedsettings.xml switching times for unencrypted SD channels is down to 1 second (from button press to video/audio actually playing). With the latest versions of tvheadend it could be even faster since AFAIK there's been some optimizations to some core routines.
With normal xbmc 13.1 on windows8 and tvheadend (unstable) on ubuntu 14.04 using included plugin.

If channel is on same transponder I see the new channel when I press button but xbmc is buffering before start playing.
If channel is on different transponder there is usually less than 1 sec delay + buffering.

This is with timeshifting in ram.
(2014-06-27, 08:27)negge Wrote: With a fast tuner, tvheadend, a custom patch to XBMC (4333 (PR)) and <cacheindvdplayer> disabled in advancedsettings.xml switching times for unencrypted SD channels is down to 1 second (from button press to video/audio actually playing). With the latest versions of tvheadend it could be even faster since AFAIK there's been some optimizations to some core routines.

How do you implement that patch? What are the consequences of making these changes?
(2014-06-03, 19:31)H3llGhost Wrote: Hum I have got 4-5 seconds channel switching with TVHeadend and the plugin from Adam Sutton.
So there is no space for improvement?

mine is a lot quicker! AWFUL lot quicker... 1-2 seconds max! i5 zotac backend ion zotac frontend using openelec tvserver and openelec media center frontend...

2 x dvbsky tuners, stock 4.0.6 openelec installations and timeshift on demand enabled
(2014-07-01, 21:54)Willith Wrote:
(2014-06-27, 08:27)negge Wrote: With a fast tuner, tvheadend, a custom patch to XBMC (4333 (PR)) and <cacheindvdplayer> disabled in advancedsettings.xml switching times for unencrypted SD channels is down to 1 second (from button press to video/audio actually playing). With the latest versions of tvheadend it could be even faster since AFAIK there's been some optimizations to some core routines.

How do you implement that patch? What are the consequences of making these changes?

You'd have to patch and compile it yourself until it is merged into master. There are no known side effects that I know of, I've been using it since January.
(2014-07-03, 00:17)negge Wrote:
(2014-07-01, 21:54)Willith Wrote:

You'd have to patch and compile it yourself until it is merged into master. There are no known side effects that I know of, I've been using it since January.

Thanks for your reply!
The referred pull request is replaced by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4783.
Do you have any information or experience about it?
That one hasn't been tested as much but it should work. All your previously stored channel settings (like aspect ratio, audio track etc.) will be removed though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The right backend for some TV functionality0