Win local network 1080p streaming
hello,

anybody out there stream wirelessly 1080p videos successfully to their phone or tablet ? without stuttering or lags ? I don't mean streaming from the internet (ie. netflix) I mean streaming from their local network (ie. NAS, or xbmc server on pc) to phone or tablet. I have tried doing it via wireless N, but it lags. Just wondering if anyone else out there is able to do it on wireless N, or do I need wireless AC for 1080p ? If possible please state what router you're using and what media server software (ie. xbmc, plex ?) and what protocal (ie. dlna, samba, upnp ?) what media client device ? (ie. bay trail tablet, android phone or tablet) thanks alot !
1080p on your phone screenHuh ReallyHuh WhyHuh

Try plex and set your quality to 3mbps 720p. You'll love it!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I have done it using the 5ghz band and nothing else going on in the network aka noone else using it for anything. but it would stutter every 10 mins or so and I would have to pause then play to get smooth playback. This is with my DLNA server having a solid 300mbps connection to my router and my kindle fire hdx 8.9" as the playback device using mx player and skifta as the dlna client and Playstaion 3 media server as the DLNA server on the pc.

But those issues were with a solid 1:1 blu ray rip to a 20gb+ mkv mkvs that were a much smaller size say 4gb-7gb had no playback issues over N 5ghz.
(2014-05-22, 09:00)jammyb Wrote: 1080p on your phone screenHuh ReallyHuh WhyHuh

I'd like to be able to stream it to tablet or phone when i'm in bed where it's most comfortable, or on the toilet (sorry for the visuals).

(2014-05-22, 10:46)Topken Wrote: I have done it using the 5ghz band and nothing else going on in the network aka noone else using it for anything. but it would stutter every 10 mins or so and I would have to pause then play to get smooth playback. This is with my DLNA server having a solid 300mbps connection to my router and my kindle fire hdx 8.9" as the playback device using mx player and skifta as the dlna client and Playstaion 3 media server as the DLNA server on the pc.

But those issues were with a solid 1:1 blu ray rip to a 20gb+ mkv mkvs that were a much smaller size say 4gb-7gb had no playback issues over N 5ghz.

Topken,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have read conflicting opionions on whether 1080p wireless streaming was possible in other sites. What I want to do is stream wirelessly 1080p mkvs (~30mbps) from my core-i3 xbmc server to a windows 8 tablet I have yet to purchase ( bay trail or surface pro ). I have read that DLNA carries more overhead than UPNP, is this correct ? thanks again for responding. Also what are your thoughts on wireless AC ?
Wireless is tricky to get right for high bitrate streaming, particularly to small devices that don't have the multiple antennae/aerials required for MIMO type operation AIUI. (MIMO increases the speed and is part of the 11n and 11ac standards I think - not sure about older ones.)

As others have suggested, transcoding to a lower bitrate and in some cases resolution may be a better bet for small screen viewing.

And as others have suggested 5GHz is often less congested than 2.4GHz.
(2014-05-22, 09:00)jammyb Wrote: 1080p on your phone screenHuh ReallyHuh WhyHuh
I know that it can sound strange.
I tried only beacuse on the tablet coudn't stream without lags.
But trust me, on my LG G2 (5.2" 1920x1080) you can clearly see the difference between sd and hd tv......, and you can also output to hdmi LED-PLASMA screen.
Bye,
sdf
At thst size screen. You wouldn't know the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Stream at lower quality and you won't notice the difference. Plus it might work! But please try to make your source be wired to the router. By Ethernet cable or homeplugs. Don't make the whole thing wireless. It won't be smooth!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

@george7523
In my configuration can stream without lags only until 13-14Mbps.
The problem is only in the wifi chips inside tablets and phones.
Usb wifi dongles are certainly faster (copying a file form pc to pc one with ethernet gigabit and other with usb dongle), reaches speed of 19-20MB.
Maybe latest tablets have mimo chips and are faster.
Anyway, I don't think that 30Mbps is easily achievable.
Bye,
sdf
Agreed with jammyb.

Transcode with Plex for small screens - including tablets. This will also enable you to view content on-the-go as well, as Plex uses a server/client setup.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Thanks very much to everyone for all suggestions and feedbacks !

I did some research and found that the fastest wireless ac usb adapter I could get is AC1200. I ended up buying "Netgear A6200" wifi adapter. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/net...-techspecs. Its speed is AC1200 (300 Mbps / 867 Mbps). I'm pairing this with Linksys EA6350 (AC1200) router. I was told the slowest part of the network will determine the final actual speed. Assuming this is correct, getting a faster router (ie. Netgear nighthawk AC1900) wouldn't make a difference. I'm using a core2 duo laptop (with netgear AC1200 wifi adpater) as player, and a core-i3 desktop as xbmc media server. Eventually I will get a baytrail win8.1 tablet to replace the laptop as player. I Will update on my test result here afterwards. thanks again everyone.
Ok, it's powerful hardware.
Post your results, seems that latest bay trail tablet have really good wifi speed
Bye,
sdf
Dedicated 5GHz wifi access point.
My 'mini' server set-up works seamlessly - see this post if ur interested:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1723404

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
local network 1080p streaming0