• 3(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
im not upset .. just corrrecting you big incorrect statement you made about the guarantee you know have to be careful what statements you put our their as FACTS lol you know the thing is and the reason why sometimes why i stay away from forums is the "THIS IS A FACT , I KNOW IT ALL" vibe you get from people you know .. we are all human all have opinions no reason to be upsset with you just debating for the side i stand by like you are Smile on that note ill leave you guys to it either way end of the day all this proves one thing XBMC is the greatest! and growing by the second fellas
oh yea by the way lol wrong again your saying 150mbps wifi its actually 300 sheesh your on a roll brutha i think you need to proof your posts before putting up .. not good to be wrong that many times though ..

oh wait by the way looks like they just got their SSL certifcate on site .. so the whole un-trusted vendor thing has holes in it also lol apparently godaddy trusts them enough for that and apparently google trusts them enough also i see there ads are directly from them .. proofing time proofing time lol bye now
(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: lol i have to laugh man you start the post by saying

XbmcTrans Wrote:
*a very long first post*

I guess I was trying to emphasize the point that you wrote such a long post with zero useful content, and mostly that you registered to make that awkward first post. If anything you said had been on point or useful, there would have been a difference.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: but yours took up almost half the page lmao

Yes, because I went into detail breaking apart your rant. I could have simply posted the summary section of my post, but I wanted to answer the questions you asked and address the statements you made. If I didn't, you would have continued rambling and ranting those same points as if they were valid.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: now with alllllllllllllllllllll that you said .. you still saying the same .. cost for this would be around 200 or more ..add packaging .. etc so your saying lol you dont think they should make a profit still ?

I've never said they shouldn't make a profit. The whole point of all of my posts is that buying such a box at this price is essentially paying $200 for hardware and $150 for paying someone to install a free program that you can install yourself. I even said that there's nothing wrong with it and that it's not unethical or gray area, it's just not cost efficient for many people, especially considering you can save $150 or more by doing just a little bit of work. For some people, that little work costs more than $150, so they buy a Prometheus Box. That's fine and dandy, but there are some who will look at the work involved with installing OpenELEC and realize that they don't need to spend the extra $150.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: really ridiculous .. putting together a site .. even a toll free number .. and now financing options who knows how hard that was to get together .. point is these guys worked HARD putting this thing togetherr and getting it ready for the masses to make it this simple and you guys are talking as if they dont deserve to make a profit for it. thats the real point here .. what do you want them to charge for making all this happen? lmao

I didn't say anything about their business overhead expenses. It's totally on them how they want to sell their devices. They could sell on craigslist, eBay, other forums, and various other places if the cost of maintaining a website is too high. Regardless, the cost of their operation is not of any concern to the purchaser. When you buy your latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone, do you sit there and justify the price based on how much it costs Apple or Samsung to develop it? No, not at all. Why are we all of a sudden thinking deeply about Hackermil's expenses? I'm not trying to wish against him or say he shouldn't succeed, I'm just saying that there are a number of people who wouldn't purchase his product at that price if they know they can get it cheaper and do the software install themselves with just a little bit of work.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: anyway while you write your long drawn out posts about long drawn out posts arguing that people shouldnt make a profit for putting something like this together

Once again, I never said they shouldn't make a profit. I just said you can get a similar setup for less money and just slightly more work.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: Ill be back over on that side where im being well taken care of. Im not hackermil im a day 1 fan .. vip channel owner .. HTV owner .. and now Prometheus owner .. and plain and simple IM HAPPY and thats what matters.

Enjoy. No one ever said you shouldn't be happy, but your defense of the purchase based only on personal happiness rather than general value further adds to the bias and inefficacy of your arguments.

(2014-06-03, 21:41)XbmcTrans Wrote: and just a suggestion if you think people can do better someone here should just but the same package they have together for less Smile shit id be one of the first to buy .. just saying .. all this talk .. how about someone just do better .. kk later folks just one guys opinions here dont shoot me dont shootme lol ill be gone now

#XbmcAnon

No one is going to shoot you...well I won't, but you might want to watch out for jammyb and Ned Scott. They're packing serious heat. I heard Ned Scott once shot someone for messing up a wiki page. And jammyb...well he's just a bad mothashutyomouth.

All talk aside, I could seriously order one of those Aliexpress units, install OpenELEC, and then ship it to you for $300. Let me know if you or one of your friends needs an XBMC box. Wink

(2014-06-03, 22:34)MrCrispy Wrote: Should we not be happy that there are more choices for someone wanting to run XBMC? There are many types of users, for some they won't mind paying extra to avoid having to build, others won't mind paying extra to not have to install and configure XBMC themselves on identical hardware. Arguing about the value proposition and calling something overpriced is counterproductive and assumes everyone shares your priorities.

I've seen this on pretty much every tech forum where the DIY vs buy debates rage on forever, there is no correct answer. Anyone with minimal tech knowledge or ability to do research can find alternatives. That doesn't mean the Prometheus product is not good, it just may not be good value for some.

The world is full of overpriced things that people buy every day and enjoy. If someone doesn't do their research, is not aware, ends up spending more, does it lessen their enjoyment? No. The common factor in all this is they will be using XBMC which is what we should focus on. If these guys are providing a good solution and standing behind their product, that is all that matters.

Good points. I just wanted a few people to understand what they were getting. The first few posts in this thread made it sound like this was a new device (it isn't) and someone else was expecting reviews like there was going to be something new and exciting about it. I never said it wasn't a good product, I said it wasn't a good value. Yes, value is subjective, but given that many of us on this forum have similar goals, we would also share many similar values when it comes to our hardware and pricing.

Here are reviews from 7 months ago (late last year) reviewing similar hardware. Anyone curious about the performance of the Prometheus Box should read this thread.

http://openelec.tv/forum/41-supported-ha...-in-1037ua

(2014-06-03, 22:40)stammie Wrote: If someone is happy with the purchase then the $350 spent is worth the money but as has been pointed out on an enthusiast based forum its not really very good for the majority of us.
Just to quote one bit of their advertising I managed to grab before it flicked away:-
"Unparalleled Wi-Fi Performance
Finally you can put your TV where you want to, no need for cables and wires.", but looking at the spec sheets its Wireless N 150, good luck streaming any high bitrate 1080p's on that let alone an uncompressed bluray!
If I'd spent that much money on a box apart from a better CPU and GPU I'd also expect at least one USB 3 port on it, as well as more than an 8GB SSD.
I don't know anything about consumer rights in the US but here in the EU it would be illegal to sell that box with only a 30 day warranty, 12 months would be the legal minimum (that's probably one of the reasons we pay a premium for our tech, but not a $150 premium lol.
Its a pity more people don't know just how easy it is (if slightly time consuming) to assemble their own pc, but even so I can go to many UK websites and find pre-built nettops and mini pc's from reputable and established manufacturers with higher specs than that (even with the premium we pay for tech) for quite a lot less money. Its only a few dollars more than this is on sale for to find boxes with full Windows installs.

And personally I would steer well clear of anyone advertising a box whether it be PC, Android, Apple or whatever that is pre-loaded with every movie, TV show or sporting event, that alone would indicate to me that its not a reputable vendor!

Yep, this is basically what I've been saying. If you are informed in your decision to purchase a Prometheus Box, then that's great. At the same time, I feel that the pricing and marketing of this device is set to appeal to those who aren't fully informed about what they're purchasing. That's just my opinion and doesn't mean much on its own, but I just wanted to help inform some people, even if it was just one person.
Personally, amongst the non-techy people I know, none of them would pay the extra $150 if I told them that the program was so easy to install that they could probably do it themselves.
im IN! for 300 lets make it happen PM me your email please Smile

now thats 300 including shipping right ? lmao

im completely joking by the way lol oh and other guy .. forgot his name the one with about a thousand wrong statements hers a vid of that wifi doing 1080 which you said it couldnt Smile video was 159mbps/second but the box is shipping it with 300mbps actually and in vid shows that the actual internet connection was 15mbps playing a 1080 AAC encoded fiule on wifi lol flawless which cant even be played on android without stutter i mean i dont know man that whole statement of yours is just plain wrong guy .. http://www.getxbmc.com/Prometheus-is-coming/ sorry but as i get told stuff here i go to ask the guys at Prometheus for some actual facts lol i have no issues with facts but big ISSUE with this kind of thing .. a guy puts a full post like that saying all those things and about 99% of it is in accurate .. wheres the responsibility to the user? you know Smile
XbmcTrans, your username is in violation of our Forum rules (wiki). Please request a new user name in the website support subforum: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35

Also, don't ask for people to PM you their e-mail address. Don't do sales/business on XBMC.org.

and maybe, you know, try not to be 12.
(2014-06-04, 00:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Also, don't ask for people to PM you their e-mail address. Don't do sales/business on XBMC.org.

He was just joking around with me, he wasn't being serious. In my second long novel of a post, I said I would sell him a Prometheus Box for $300, and he played along by asking for my email. We both know I'm not selling and he's not buying lol.
jeez luise see what i mean lol .. now im being 12 though i was just conversating .. thats my cue to leave guys just remembered what forum experience was like and yea i was joking with two515ty guy .. and sorry about the username hehe Sad anyway laterz tension to thick in this room .. two515ty you seem like a cool guy .. nice chat and debate . have a good day all
There are only 2 salient two points to be taken from this thread:

1. Someone is selling a box plus wireless keyboard for $350.00.

2. The same box with double the RAM and double the SSD size is available for $175 plus $25 shipping plus $8 for wifi (if you want it) plus the cost of a remote or keyboard - a total of around $240.00 - $250.00

The difference is probably only justifiable for those that do not have the skills to follow simple instructions and install openelec. There is no right answer - people who are attracted to paying $350 should be aware that they can do it cheaper. People who are scared of buying a box from China and installing software themselves (no matter how simple it is) should be aware of the prometheus box. They should also be aware that if it has addons installed that are not approved here, they won't get support.

There, I summarised the whole thread without ranting or offending anyone.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-06-03, 22:34)MrCrispy Wrote: There are many types of users, for some they won't mind paying extra to avoid having to build, others won't mind paying extra to not have to install and configure XBMC themselves on identical hardware.
I could understand that argument when building from scratch, so buying all the parts and fitting into a custom case, however there are tons of barebones available where all you need to do is buy and fit RAM & SSD/HDD, is that really beyond people? If so you can still get complete systems like the Asus Chromebox that using a current generation Haswell Celeron for a lot less.
When i go to the link it doesn't show RAM or HDD
(2014-06-03, 22:55)XbmcTrans Wrote: wrong again .. its not a 30 day warranty ... its a 30 day MONEY BACK guarantee they are saying within 30 days if you are unhappy you can send back for FULL REFUND which is yet ANOTHER thing no other box sellers are doing did some digging and seen post on their twitter warranty on hardware is 3 years please make sure your accurate when making statement like that

see here: https://twitter.com/GetXBMC/status/473905031339470848

oh and wrong again here also ... content is not directly in box .. its in "3rd party add-ons" key word 3RD PARTY unlike xunity.tv which has it coded in the box itself

now you yourself said the warranty sometimes wortth paying the premium wel there goes your warranty .. whats next? what other reasons dfo you have that they shouldnt make a profit lol

Oh man you really suck, You come to the home of those that coded the app (xbmc) that you use to make $$ and argue with them, Such lack of respect, Also you are wrong, the Eclipse does not get shipped fully setup.

Sorry guys, you will hear no more from me on this here, This forum isnt for this.

@xbmc guys, love your work dudes
what version of openelec would go on these boxes? I currently run a RPi, and just pop the SD card in with the system data and it all just works. Would one of these boxes work the same?
(2014-06-04, 19:48)Lowdef Wrote: When i go to the link it doesn't show RAM or HDD
which link.

(2014-06-04, 21:00)Lowdef Wrote: what version of openelec would go on these boxes? I currently run a RPi, and just pop the SD card in with the system data and it all just works. Would one of these boxes work the same?
It is a celeron so it is genericx86_64 and installation is very clear in the openelec wiki

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Installation
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It that place a genuine retailer to order from?
(2014-06-04, 21:49)Lowdef Wrote: It that place a genuine retailer to order from?
what place?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1