• 4(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
Ali Express?
(2014-06-05, 00:52)richiebrowns Wrote: Ali Express?

AliExpress is kind of like eBay. It is a platform ( web market ) where thousands of vendors can sell their products. It is best to check the vendor's reputation ( feedback ) before buying to ensure you are dealing with a credible merchant.
Is there a customs fee?
(2014-06-05, 07:46)richiebrowns Wrote: Is there a customs fee?
That will obviously depend where you are shipping it to, none of us can even begin to guess where you live or what your local tax laws are.

I can tell you that in NZ there would not be for a single purchase. Ship two at once and you'd go over the $400 threshold and would have to pay GST and a service fee.

I have bought from a couple of vendors on AliExpress and had good service. YMMV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Apologies i forgot to say I live in the UK
(2014-06-05, 13:25)richiebrowns Wrote: Apologies i forgot to say I live in the UK

There is no duty importing computers into the UK but you might have to pay the 20% VAT. The shipping company will also charge you a small fee for dealing with customs on your behalf.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm
http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-gu...d-Kingdom/
(2014-06-04, 00:45)Ned Scott Wrote: XbmcTrans, your username is in violation of our Forum rules (wiki). Please request a new user name in the website support subforum: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35

Also, don't ask for people to PM you their e-mail address. Don't do sales/business on XBMC.org.

and maybe, you know, try not to be 12.

...and one more thing:

I see the Aeon MQ being sold in this product. I don't remember giving my consent to it.
It involves fonts (non-commercial), backgrounds (non-commercial), my textures (my rights) and the name/original 'Aeon' is the intellectual property of _djh.
------------------------------------------------------

Want to know more about the skin? Liked my work and want contribute?
Visit my website
XBMC Brazilian Community Forum
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
they are not selling the skin .. they clearly stated is was a MOD of your skin and gave you the credit additionally like all other skins they made it avail free on their site. You guys make very BIG dangerous statements without truth to it. As long as that skin was titled MOD and declared as such in description also and made avail free to all "AEON MQ BEING SOLD IN THIS PRODUCT" is an in factual statement.

Here is the link to the MODDED skin avail free to all Smile http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...prometheus

Description: Our user interface is based on the insanely powerful Aeon MQ5 skin. Our remake focuses on stunning fanart against beautiful transparent windows making for incomparable eye candy.

keywords .. based .. aeon mq 5 .. remake as well as tons of references all over making it clear that it is just a simple mod on your existing skin
From the moment you sells a product, everything that is part of it, is part of the sales and profit. Consult a lawyer about it.

All people who desired to use my work or part thereof on any product, before do it, asked for my permission. It is a question of ethics and respect.

But I'll let the community do the trial of this case. Good luck with your business.

Visit my website
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
Hi All,

This is obviously our first post on the forum. Just wanted to come straight out into the line of fire. I really am not sure why there is so much fuss, we are a company that sells a good product and stands by it we give credit where it is due.

Hi MarosQui,

I just wanted to point out that we are not selling your skin. We modded your skin (we actually contacted you directly to help us with the skin but you never replied), we don't use your backgrounds and we gave you full credit in the skin. As stated on the xbmc.org wiki "Users can create their own skin (or modify an existing skin) and share it with others.".

We have contacted Ray with regards to the Teen font and again, we did contact you directly but received no reply. We are in compliance with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license. It is also a question of ethics and respect to respond to requests.

We GIVE the skin away, it is available for FREE download at http://getxbmc.com/downloads and it is included on our box, as is the default Confluence skin.
We are selling and and supporting a high quality product that really shows xbmc in a good light. We have LiveChat, Ticket Helpdesk and toll free phone support.

I would be more than happy to discuss further with you.

Best regards,

Adam
Could you point out which portion of your licence requires anyone to ask your permission?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Adam, thank you for your explanation, if you sent me PM to communicate the use of skin, I'm sorry, I did not see.
But ok, what's done is done.

nickr, at the first line:

"THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED."

Words that I read once in explaining the free license:

"Free use does not mean free beer" Wink

Visit my website
MarcosQui, thank you for the response. Your work is fantastic, that is the reason we chose to use your skin.
(2014-06-10, 23:04)MarcosQui Wrote: Adam, thank you for your explanation, if you sent me PM to communicate the use of skin, I'm sorry, I did not see.
But ok, what's done is done.

nickr, at the first line:

"THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED."

Words that I read once in explaining the free license:

"Free use does not mean free beer" Wink
Yes but later in the License it reads
Quote:3. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:

1. to Reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collections, and to Reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collections;
2. to create and Reproduce Adaptations provided that any such Adaptation, including any translation in any medium, takes reasonable steps to clearly label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes were made to the original Work. For example, a translation could be marked "The original work was translated from English to Spanish," or a modification could indicate "The original work has been modified.";
3. to Distribute and Publicly Perform the Work including as incorporated in Collections; and,
I respect your views and your talent, but if you release under that license, you can hardly complain when people utilise the license.

And no, I haven't read all the "ifs" and "buts" later in the license, and I acknowledge that your LICENSE.txt refers to other licenses for parts of the work.

PS I also acknowledge that it is frustrating that the distributors do not even seem to have considered whether they have permission under the license.
Nick, we certainly did consider the legal ramifications of the licenses. As stated above, we made sure to be compliant and contacted the principals for all of the licenses involved.

As a side note, I received a PM indicating that I am in violation of the forum rules for my username. I attempted to reply to the message however, the sender has disabled private messaging. Pardon my ignorance; what is my violation?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1