Gotham memory leak on video playback
I'm reporting an memory leakage that is not fixed with the v13.1 beta1 release, which carried some memory leak fixes.

I have a openelec box with 768MB memory allocated, running in a XEN virtual machine.
At Frodo period, it works just fine. I leave the box up running for months for quick access and it nerver turn me down.
But after upgrading, it just won't last any longer than 2~3 playbacks before dying out.
Somethings it dies much quicker but I haven't find out any pattern (e.g. video format, subtitles type etc) behind that.

When I say dying, I mean the XBMC process killed by the kernel OOM killer or manually.
Openelec will bring XBMC back automatically soon, and the free memory just come back to the level of clean reboot.

I tried to capture some debug log but could not find anything specific to memory leak.
But this should still give some info about my system info.
http://pastebin.com/fhVa22Bd

Please give me instruction on how to produce more verbose info for debugging purpose.
any suggestion?
This happens between which two versions? v12.x something or v13.0 to v13.1?
Can you test this with minimal add-ons installed. I want to make sure it is not an add-on leaking memory.
It happens between v12.x && v13.0 (i.e. Frodo is good and Gotham is leaking). Upgrading to v13.1 beta1 with a fix to known leak does not help.
(2014-06-06, 00:04)Ned Scott Wrote: This happens between which two versions? v12.x something or v13.0 to v13.1?

Sure, will try this out.
Does it work if I move the .xbmc/addons directory to backup location?
(2014-06-06, 10:45)Kib Wrote: Can you test this with minimal add-ons installed. I want to make sure it is not an add-on leaking memory.
Yes, that would work.
Reporting back:
This does not appear to has anything to do with the addons that I was using.
Having them all removed and XBMC restarted does not prevent memory from being leaked.

But I find some clue that suggest the memory leakage may have something to do with subtitles.
The memory is steadily slipping away while subtitle is enabled and the leakage appears to stop with subtitle disabled.
I'm keep playing with subtitle disabled for longer time now to see how it works.

I took some pictures during the playback with debug message enabled.

It's in reversed order when I created the image wall...
Note the period when I turned the subtitles off, the memory stops leaking
(The free memory varies in a small range, e.g. 10M, without subtitles)
http://postimg.org/image/7w3my10b1/

(2014-06-07, 09:50)Kib Wrote: Yes, that would work.

Just upgraded my openelec box to v4.0.4 with latest Gotham 3.1 release.
Nothing changed w.r.t. the leaking issue discussed here -- still seeing serious memory leak with subtitle enabled.
Hey, any suggestion what's next?
@Kib
some one needs to get his hands dirty and go hunt where the leak is coming from.
for example running valgrind or the likes.
doubtful anything can be done from just using debug log
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
What was the last OpenELEC version that was working for you?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-06-09, 16:47)fritsch Wrote: What was the last OpenELEC version that was working for you?

(2014-06-07, 08:09)firemeteor Wrote: It happens between v12.x && v13.0 (i.e. Frodo is good and Gotham is leaking).

That's a huge time span and a lot of changes
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Can confirm that subtitles causes issues for me too, as does culyrics in the music player.

Xbmc grabbed over 1gb available ram and had to ask manager it down. So I disabled culyrics and now I experience no memory leak in the music player, now only in dvdplayer with subs enabled.

12.3 is no issue 13.1 has issue
Thanks for confirming the issue. What's your host OS? It's not yet clear if this is specific to Linux
(2014-06-09, 17:21)DerekCuster Wrote: Can confirm that subtitles causes issues for me too, as does culyrics in the music player.

Xbmc grabbed over 1gb available ram and had to ask manager it down. So I disabled culyrics and now I experience no memory leak in the music player, now only in dvdplayer with subs enabled.

12.3 is no issue 13.1 has issue
This bug report:
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...-overnight

looks like a subtitle related memory leak on Gotham openelec on Raspberry Pi.
It looks like textures used for subtitles are not being freed. When GPU memory is full new textures will be replaced with white squares.

This bug report relates to external "srt" subtitles.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham memory leak on video playback2