Cutting the Cord- Linux or Windows 7 Build??:
Thanks Zag! Any other advice or tweaks let me know. Looks like I got a weekend project!
The nice thing about linux (or OpenELEC) is that it costs nothing to try.

You may want to consider a HDHomeRun Dual HDHR4 tuner. It has nice DLNA features that allow access from multiple devices.
Exactly Whitebelly, one of the main reasons I wanted to give it a shot. Ive already downloaded linux ubuntu and linux elementary on two of my laptops and love it. Works great! Only reason I had windows7 was for windows media center. Media center works flawlessly for cablecard and dvr, but why dvr if I'm using xbmc? I can watch any program anytime no need to dvr anymore .

Just need to figure out how to share media like hdhomerun prime did, if its possible. It was nice to be able to watch live tv on any pc or extender. Is this possible with OpenElec?
Certainly OpenELEC can work well with HDHR OTA tuner. Configuration takes some effort. See OpenELEC forums as well as other threads here.
Cable TV has us all by the **llz! Not worth it to cut the cord. Internet fee alone is only 10-20 bucks cheaper than keeping the basic service! Can't see cancelling totally over 20 dollars a month! Imo its not worth the aggrevation of dealing with the entire setup of OTA tv or streaming entirely from video. Now if the links were dependable and trustworthy then it might be worth the shot, but there are so many broken links or some that work one day then off the next that its just not worth it to me, for my situation.

I really wanted to give it a shot, but they got me!!
Thanks for all the replies and I still may try openelec

Monopoly cable companies rule the world
Please note this thread has been *SOLVED*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cutting the Cord- Linux or Windows 7 Build??:0