Solved Video Tearing in playback in XBMC 13 with Kubuntu 14.04
Question 
Hi,

I have a very peculiar problem with my new UHD TV and XBMC video playback. Whenever I play the video there is a single flickering line accross the screen horizontally and is more visible when there is motion. Check the attached image, just where the D moon ends. A little details about the hardware and software:

Samsung UHD TV F9000
Kubuntu 14.04 (running at 1920x1080)
Nvidia GTX 560 with 331.38 driver

Troubleshooting I did already are, I have updated the graphics driver to the latest one, disabled and tried all settings for Tru Motion feature on the TV. The video plays absolutely fine in VLC and directly from the TV. The problem is isolated with XBMC only and seems to be software related.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
- Disable Backingstore (if your libsdl is not up to date)
- Don't use KDE - start xbmc directly from the lightdm login and revisit (composite sucks)
- Check that Vsync is enabled (xbmc setting)
- Use a more settled nvidia driver, bleeding edge most of the time sucks.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Vsync is already enabled, how do you disable Backing Store. But VLC, Dragon player playback is perfectly fine, you sure its something todo with Nvidia? Will try downgrading the driver version anyways.
disable backing store: X -bs
I disbaled the backing store by all the possible means, even installed the patched libsdl available at bug tracker. Still no luck Sad
Ok I removed the Nvidia drivers completely and its with the default Ubuntu video drivers and it did the job no more tearing. Now I see the Ksplash screen also. Now, by not using the Nvidia drivers am i loosing too much on the video playback quality?
Without the NVIdia driver you lose hardware acceleration (vdpau). Have you read this post? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98108
Hi guys,

I have tried the every possible solution and still this annoying tearing problem is there, spent 2000$ screen and cant enjoy it:

Done disabling backingstore
installed patched libsdl1.2debian
Tried all the combinations of xbmc video settings, match refresh rate, vysnc etc
Downgraded Nvidia drivers re-installed the OS all over again

Literally now ran out of the options. Any help??

Cybeh
try xbmcbuntu or openelec from an USB stick
Not really an option, this is my primary desktop and even my family uses it. This is not the solution am looking. Have been using xbmc for years now.

Cybeh
I get tearing in games with kde if undirect full screen is enabled in kwin's settings, worth a shot.

EDIT its suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows
(2014-07-18, 09:23)teeedubb Wrote: I get tearing in games with kde if undirect full screen is enabled in kwin's settings, worth a shot.

EDIT its suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows

Thanks teeedubb, it didnt fix my problem, but with that clue I found a workaround.

I checked the Desktop Effects settings>Advanced>suspend desktop effects for full screen windows. And this solved the tearing problem for xbmc, not sure whether it will create problems for other apps Tongue. At least this fixes the issue temporarily.

Cybeh
It has broken my Open GL screensavers now Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Tearing in playback in XBMC 13 with Kubuntu 14.041