Custom Remote Kickstarter Idea
Hello,

First time posting here, so please help me if I make any mistakes.

I've contacted celadon.com and am working with them to create a custom USB/RF remote control for XBMC. The idea is to have a USB RF receiver that's an HID keyboard device. The remote would have all the buttons correspond with the keyboard mappings. Said simply; remote control buttons simply act as keyboard presses and are sent to the OS. This would remove any remote configuration. So, the question for everyone here is, would this be a good idea to pitch on kickstarter? I can afford to have one built for myself, but to have a production run of any remote would require 1000 units and about $12K for FCC approval for the RF function.
If it could power on from off. That'd be amazing.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

That would be pretty magical, for sure. I think it technically could wake up a machine from certain sleep modes but the OS/BIOS would have to support being woke up from keyboard input.
There's a ton of remotes already on the market that do this, including the ones that often come with Android-based products (they can be used on PCs as well). To make a Kickstarter remote successful you will need to bring more to the table. You need a solid layout of buttons, exactly as you specify, at the very least. Can celadon.com do this? If so, myself and some other guys have some ideas for you. Including the other thing you need for a successful Kickstarter remote, such as a couple of neat "wow" features to stand above all the rest.
I'm thinking about backlighted keys...
I can get custom layouts, button printing, cover printing, backlighting, and even LED's. The key is going to be finding the magic middle between cost and features. What are you guys thinking? I'm getting two demo remotes next week to start playing with programming options.
Add programmable/learning IR buttons for volume and tv on/off. In my opinion, whats really lacking in the cheaper remote market is an RF remote for XBMC that also can change the tv or av receiver volume
I definitely agree with having learning volume and power buttons. The original goal, for myself, was to have one remote that turns on the TV, adjust the volume on my amp, and sends the right keyboard commands to the PC, which XBMC then recognizes.
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. This is probably a niche product, but at the very least I can get one for myself and teach others how to do it.
Harmony One does all this. But it is a little big, and I don`t need all the stuff.

But for a new, you should have the possibilities to make macro functions.
So you can use it to contol more than three things.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I know macros are possible, but they might not be programmable. To me, the ultimate remote is one that can be customized like the harmony, but simple and low power usage like a normal remote.
Once I get the demo, I'll report back on how macros work.
Sounds nice.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
When the Harmony remote works, it works well Smile until the batteries run out which happens way too often Sad

And unfortunately I found my Harmony remote one of the most schizophrenic devices i've ever owned Sad

It was dead out of the box as it needed internet access just to get the remote working in a basic sence - a real PITA. Combine this with the fact that a central database often had device ir codes wrongly changed, by some other person, resulting in my configuration being screwed up. Such screw ups to my configuration did happen simply by reconnecting my remote to my pc to make a simple non ir code tweek like changing backlight timeout period (which still required a connection to the server). And these sort of configurastion screw ups happened all too often.

Adding to such annoyances was the problem of one way ir communication that often occured because the remote wasn't pointed correctly or someone walked past while the remote was sending ir commands or someone placed the remote down after pressing a macro button. Such actions resulted in one or more ir commands being lost with the outcome being that the macro didn't do what it was set up to do. Then the poor operator was forced to answer a set of yes/no questions to get back on track.

Logitech did sell some RF harmony remotes which didn't have such line of sight issues as they came with a basestation containing a spiders web of ir transmitters but these were stupidly expensive and still had the above database corruption issues...

Conrast this to PS3 bluetooth remote which i use instaed of my Harmony (now in a draw). The PS3 remote worked out of the box without needing internet connection, is not line of sight critical (even for the ir part as it has very good ir strength) and can be set up to work with a multitude of other devices (tvs, amps, etc). It doesn't have macro capability or backlighting though the batteries do last much longer than my Harmony remote ever did...

So for me, the ideal remote would use bluetooth signaling to a basestation thus avoiding line of sight issues. The basestatation would have the smarts and a bunch of ir transmitters and also bluetooth transmitters connected to it. The indvidual ir transmitters would be wired to and assigned to the other ir devices (tv, amp, dvd, xbmc box) while the bt transitters would be assigned to a ps3. The basestation would receive the remote bt button presses and convert them to ir or bt or even usb command(s) as appropriate/desired. The basestation should also have an ir receiver so that it can learn ir codes from other remotes...

The basestation whould be able to interpret a single button press as a 'maco' that would blast out appropriate ir/bt codes to teh appropriate devices. Obviously the basestation would be connected to a pc for programing and assigning the bt button codes to ir/bt codes or macros containing ir/bt codes... By placing the smarts in the basestation, it should be possible to design the remote to consume the minimum of power while the basestation would be powered via an adapter.

Heck, is should be possible to simplify the basestation by designing an ir blasters and an ir receiver that is placed within the htpc itself which could also contain commodity bt modules. By incorporating the logic within the pc, this would bring down the basestation hardware costs to a minimum. The basestation software/drivers could be an opensource project (if one does not already exist). The tricky part is to have the bt remote work in the same way as the ps3 bt remote does w.r.t. the way it powers on the ps3 and how it optimizes connection and power usage. Obviously the basestation would be powered on by the remote and subsequently able to power on the other needed devices. If the basestation is an integral part of the htpc, then this must be powered up by the remote even if you want to watch broadcast tv which may not normally need the htpc to be on (time to buy some turner cards isn't it Smile)... or else you will need a separate basestation to avoid this use case...

Add backlighting and a rechargable battery to a remote which should be no bigger than is comfortable to hold in one hand while adding a cradle for charging wouldn't go astray. This would be a big improvement in what i've seen w.r.t. remotes so far (either cheap and 1/2 useful remotes or expensive and 1/2 useful remotes)...

Finally the software should use a local database of 'learnt codes' that i could choose to upload/download to/from a central database, much like freedb was a community driven database (is it still used/updated)...

But i guess your only looking at a simple ir remote Sad
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Would this be able to fully compete with existing remotes like MeLE F10-Pro (RF05) Remote Control too?

It does have most of the wow-factors I think you would need for a sucessful Kickstarter campaign.

MeLE claim the F10 Pro remote is compatible with Android, Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows, but because it does not use. Bluetooth it won't work with Apple iOS / iDevices.

The integrated microphone and speaker makes so that it can also be as a phone for Skype or VoIP, or the microphone alone could be using for voice control (like for voirce controlled multimedia playback for voice recognition for home automation control), and with it having a phono jack could be used to make it into a wireless receiver for a headset / earphones so not to disturb your partner at night.

Bluetooth 2.1 backwards compatibility for Apple TV 2 and older iOS device compatibility would be nice, and firmware upgrade possibility via USB is a must.

And what about multi-purpose use to also be able to use it as a simple gamepad controller?

You probably borrow a lot of great ideas from the iMpulse Controller's Kickstarter campaign regardless

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/852...ocket-acce
http://www.impulsecontroller.com

MeLE F10-Pro 2.4GHz Wireless 6-in-1 dual-side Remote Control + Air Mouse / Fly Mouse + QWERTY Keyboard + + Voice Mic + Speaker
http://en.mele.cn/products/show/32.htm

MeLE F10 Pro is available for around $34 (US) on DealExtreme and Aliexpress
http://dx.com/p/mele-f10-pro-2-4ghz-wire...mic-225844
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...51207.html
My Motorola Nyxboard works just fine. It needs backlit keys for night-time operation but other than that it's a champ.
(2014-07-20, 14:56)RockerC Wrote: And what about multi-purpose use to also be able to use it as a simple gamepad controller?

You probably borrow a lot of great ideas from the iMpulse Controller's Kickstarter campaign regardless

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/852...ocket-acce
http://www.impulsecontroller.com

Checkout the Probox2 Remote+ remote controller which also acts as a wireless gamepad with six-axis air mouse functions also includes a microphone and speaker

http://probox2.com/remote-plus/

Checkout this review of Probox2 Android box which comes with the Probox2 Remote+ air mouse / gamepad style remote

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/07/22/p...or-gaming/
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/08/15/p...-unboxing/

Now that RetroPlayer will soon be integrated into XBMC would be very nice with an RF remote with a gyroscope (for air mouse function) and D-pad buttons similar to Nintendo Wii Remote, a double-sided remote that could also double as a simple gamepad and be used as a fly mouse for casual gaming with emulators, and Android games too. Build in speaker and microphone for Skype and voice commands / speech control would be cool too, like Amazon Fire TV remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Remote Kickstarter Idea0